Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved my drivers seat all the way since i dropped something in the crack, and as soon as I did the airbag service message popped up along with the airbag symbol. Now I'm not sure if this is a coincidence happening at the same time as my seat move, but i think not?

I tried scanning with the Carista VAG app, but for some odd reason it doesn't list it as a fault? Carista has showed me airbag fault and allowed me to reset on every other VW I have owned.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Many T1s were assembled with an under-seat airbag/harness that could cinch up and cause a fault. There may have even been a TSB for it...I had it occur on my 2005, but that was a long time ago. The harness is under the driver's seat....perhaps yor "T2" suffers the same tightness in the wiring harness. Search airbag fault

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
x2.

You probably need to extend the wiring for the big yellow connector - VW even produced a small harness for this very purpose as the problem was so common on the T1.

Often it was caused by some obese bastard whose weight pressed the seat squab down just that bit too far!

Try undoing the yellow connector, checking the wires and refastening it first.

You will need VCDS to reset the airbag light and whilst it is on some or all of the airbag system may not work so don't delay in getting it fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
x2.

You probably need to extend the wiring for the big yellow connector - VW even produced a small harness for this very purpose as the problem was so common on the T1.

Often it was caused by some obese bastard whose weight pressed the seat squab down just that bit too far!

Try undoing the yellow connector, checking the wires and refastening it first.

You will need VCDS to reset the airbag light and whilst it is on some or all of the airbag system may not work so don't delay in getting it fixed ASAP.

I will definitely check this out today. In the mean time I got my hands on another scanner and found:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445543157.976790.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Cleared the codes and it hasn't returned.

I suggest you disconnect your battery, then disconnect clean and reconnect the Airbag Connector (yellow) under the seat.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Cleared the codes and it hasn't returned.

That happened to me the first time. The next time it didn't clear!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
On the OP's 2010 the yellow connector MAY not be the problem. The design is obviously very sensitive to small resistance changes in the airbag circuit. If, in the process of moving all the way one way or the other a wire loom was stretched so that a connector briefly lost contact on even one wire the light may illuminate. Depending on the specific fault it may never reoccur.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
On the OP's 2010 the yellow connector MAY not be the problem. The design is obviously very sensitive to small resistance changes in the airbag circuit. If, in the process of moving all the way one way or the other a wire loom was stretched so that a connector briefly lost contact on even one wire the light may illuminate. Depending on the specific fault it may never reoccur.
Good point, and well worth investigating further. Just a reminder to drop the battery off, as a mate of mine found out recently how not to safely work on an airbag.

Airbag + Face + high "G" Forces = Pain.

Stuart..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts