Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Airbag fault comes on, the icon stays illuminated. but the passenger airbag is off when no one is on the seat and goes off when someone is in the seat or goes of and on whether someone is on the seat or not/
going to the dealership timorrow to see what they say

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just had my wiring harness to drivers airbag replaced due to that fault. 2004 V8 vin 62xxx
I thought that flaw would have been fixed by the time of my vin. Chech archives- was an old problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 24,000 miles on my Touareg and just this morning my airbag light came on. Its at the dealer today for other problems, just so happened I already had an appointment! I thought by now all of the "kinks" would have been worked out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Airbag Fault!!!! 2nd time in 2 weeks!!!

I got into my vehicle this morning for the 3rd time since getting my vehicle back less than 2 weeks ago. The Airbag fault was illuminated once again which took the dealer 7 days to fix the first time. It has had all of the typical problems, i.e. stepper motor, clock issues, and now this. I believe the vehicle has been in the custody of the dealer for roughly 15 days now and I just made the 2nd payment. Its a beautiful thing!

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Re: Airbag Fault!!!! 2nd time in 2 weeks!!!

KyleKonKarne said:
I got into my vehicle this morning for the 3rd time since getting my vehicle back less than 2 weeks ago. The Airbag fault was illuminated once again which took the dealer 7 days to fix the first time. It has had all of the typical problems, i.e. stepper motor, clock issues, and now this. I believe the vehicle has been in the custody of the dealer for roughly 15 days now and I just made the 2nd payment. Its a beautiful thing!
Perhaps all your dealer did was CLEAR the fault code rather than fixing the problem. What does the repair paperwork say about what he did to fix the problem the previous two times?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had mine fixed the first time taken in due to the passenger seat having a "short" wiring harness that gets wacky when the seat is either reclined fully, adjusted way back for a tall person or moved about repeatedly, so they have a harness extender that they installed and haven't had the problem since, they also cleared all warnings.
Took half a day and a loaner car was given to me for the trouble/
So far so good!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My driver side airbag fault has come on for a second time in 2 months. Have fixed the problem once before. They said it was a loose connection to the SRS in the steering wheel. So now i'm taking the treg in friday to fix a slew of problems....including (like most other people) wood trim, Flickering BiXenon headlight, Brake noise, you name it. All this before my 10,000 mile check up... I love Volkswagen, but I hate their customer service. It's like its our fault all these things are happening.

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
moviemakersam said:
Flickering BiXenon headlight
Is this giving you a fault in the MFI or are you talking about the adjustment cycle the light make when you first start the car and the self leveling they do, especially noticeable when you are stopped behind someone at a traffic light. If you have a fault displayed in the MFI, then there is a problem. But if you are talking about the latter two issues, these are completely normal and within operating specifications.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It had to do with a bolt that had been stripped out under the passenger side seat rail. A new one had to be shipped from the mother land and could not have a "generic" one used. The dealer couldn't release the vehicledue to safety issues. They suspect it came the factory this way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I know this an old thread but I figured I would give it a shot. I have an 05 V6 and my airbag light in the dash and in the MFI came on, does that mean that in case of a crash the airbags won't deploy? Also, where should this be fixed at? I would hope not the dealership, they're a little shady as well as ridiculously pricey and even then it's never been a guarantee they KNOW what they are doing.. Is there a DIY on a fix to do myself, and if so where might it be? I live in Oklahoma, so traveling within the state to fix it in my opinion, is worth the drive.

·
Super Moderator
9,705 Posts
So I know this an old thread but I figured I would give it a shot. I have an 05 V6 and my airbag light in the dash and in the MFI came on, does that mean that in case of a crash the airbags won't deploy? Also, where should this be fixed at? I would hope not the dealership, they're a little shady as well as ridiculously pricey and even then it's never been a guarantee they KNOW what they are doing.. Is there a DIY on a fix to do myself, and if so where might it be? I live in Oklahoma, so traveling within the state to fix it in my opinion, is worth the drive.
Typically this was an issue for whatever reason on the V8 models, but that issue was the harness under the drivers seat being too short and pulling apart. You can start there first and see what yours looks like. If you do a search on here you should be able to come up with some how to's on it. That was the main fix, but if you know someone with VCDS you could possibly narrow it down to something else rather then guessing at it. Guessing is all most of us would be doing for you at this point. I would just start at looking at your connections under the drivers seat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Typically this was an issue for whatever reason on the V8 models, but that issue was the harness under the drivers seat being too short and pulling apart. You can start there first and see what yours looks like. If you do a search on here you should be able to come up with some how to's on it. That was the main fix, but if you know someone with VCDS you could possibly narrow it down to something else rather then guessing at it. Guessing is all most of us would be doing for you at this point. I would just start at looking at your connections under the drivers seat.
Awesome! Thanks for a reply! I've raised it up as far as it would go and crawled under there contortionist style to see, but it appears all is connected? I suppose i will try again and update later this evening.
Any links to anything would he helpful if anyone knows the DIY is roughly. :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes, it is probably the yellow connector.

You, should run VCDS first to confirm it.

Yes, the fix is to lengthen the cable as it gets pulled too tight at the big yellow junction box as the seat ages or the driver gets fatter, or both!

Yes, at least part of the airbag system will not work whilst the light is lit.

Yes, you will need VCDS to reset the light.

Yes, there are how-to's on here and elsewhere.

Yes, the dealer fix can be expensive though they should be able to do the job with a known extension lead part inside thirty minutes.

Here's a how to on how to tilt the seat back to give you room to play Yellow Connector:

http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/to...-t2-and-t3-battery-including-both-in-the-v10/

More:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/airbag-04-wire-under-seat-no-tsb-support-21481.html

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/air-bag-fault-replace-passenger-seat-79779.html

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004 V8. The passenger side airbag (in the seat) threw a fault about six months ago. I checked and the TSB to replace the yellow connector had already been done. So I took it to the dealer and they replaced the airbag, approx. $800.

Then a couple of weeks ago the light came on again. VAG-COM showed that it was the same fault but for the drivers side this time. I cleared the DTC and it came right back when I started the engine. Which made me very worried that all eight airbags would be going bad at $800 a pop...

So before taking it in I followed the instructions above and the TSB 69-05-02 to check the wiring under the drivers seat. The TSB replacement of the yellow connector had already been done, and the butt splice connectors and wires were all good. I thought maybe it could be the other connector (orange). So after disconnecting the battery ground, I pulled the orange connector apart and put it back together. Then put the seat back down and reconnected the ground. I cleared the DTCs again, and the airbag fault did not come back. Since the fault is for high resistance, it makes sense to me that redoing the connection would work.

A couple of hints to doing this:
You need the 10mm triple-square. But don't use it on the bolts directly below the seat, use it on the two bolts from the seat frame to the floor below the carpet in front of the seat. You don't need to mess with the bolts in the back of the seat, the back of the seat frame is hinged and the seat tilts back after removing the lower front two bolts.

To disconnect the battery ground, remove the acorn nut over the ground cable in the floor between the two bolts removed above. With this disconnected you don't need to open the battery case.

After reconnecting the ground, you have to follow the steps to relearn key, windows, seat limits, etc. They are listed in the TSB, also in the Bentley Manual. The stability warning light came on and stayed on until I drove a few hundred yards to recalibrate it. Now there are no warning lights on.

PS: I don't blame the dealer for replacing the first airbag, I can understand why they wouldn't want to take liability for trying a "lets see if it works" fix on an airbag.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Good post. For anyone lifting the seat, though, don't forget to remove the plastic trims by the seat runners at the rear first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Airbag fault comes on, the icon stays illuminated. but the passenger airbag is off when no one is on the seat and goes off when someone is in the seat or goes of and on whether someone is on the seat or not/
going to the dealership timorrow to see what they say
My fault started with a seatbelt fault which developed into an airbag fault which stops the airbags deploying in an accident. Dealer reset fault ($100) and told me they checked probable causes and wiring and found no faults. Fault came back as I drove out their driveway. I purchased my own OBD2 reader and scanned the vehicle. Airbag system showed 2 faults- 1passenger side seatbelt switch fault and 2 impausible occupied seat fault. I sprayed contact cleaner (must be high grade not affect plastic) in the seatbelt receiver and cleared that fault but still had the occupied seat fault. I moved the seat as far forward and as high as possible and pushed on wiring connectors- this cleared the fault.OBD2 reader cost $195.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts