Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TOUAREG AIR SUSPENSION INFORMATION. This summary is offered to provide information that may assist in solving air suspension problem and relates to my 2005 V8 with less than 37000 miles.

At about 34000 miles the driver side air spring began leaking air. Not having a lift the Touareg was taken to a local service shop (owner having an Audi) for repair where it was determined that the air leakage was thought the aluminum top. Both air springs in the rear were replaced at the time with new after market units originating in Germany. Both within 3 months needed the inlet check values and lines replaced. The driver side read failed and was replaced with a USA built new unit from Suncore. The bad unit was returned and replaced with a new unit as a spare as the original supplier did not have any in stock.

At around 36000 miles we moved to Florida and during the trip the passenger side front air spring began loss air (slow leak). Consequently, new Suncore air springs were acquired and installed locally; however, upon completion of the installation the truck was directed by the system in a manner that resulted in the passenger side front to be at the lowest level, the driver front to be at the highest level, and the rear to be a different levels somewhere between the lowest and highest possible. The repair shop did not have the equipment or knowledge to fix this problem. UNDERSTAND THAT THE ABILITY TO ALTER OR REVIEW THE COMPUTER PROGRAMING ON A TOUAREG IS A CLOSELY HELD PROGRAM THAT ONLY A HIGH VW REPAIR FACILITY CAN AFFORD. A KNOCKOFF IS AVAILABLE ON THE INTERNET AT LOW COST.

In reviewing this problem on the internet it was found that a height calibration was required. The necessary program was acquired to allow height calibration; however, it would not communicate with the leveling module. It stated the module was bad so a junk but operational module was acquired. It was installed and allowed communications. The problem still persisted as it would not allow adjustment. The required program was locked out.

At this junction the truck was taken to the local VW dealer whose service department was rated the best in the USA. It was left with them to analyze the problem and determine a course of action. Making the story short, after about three months the problem was not solved even after trying new height sensors, new inlet check valves, and new passenger side strut (complete). This dealer had the regional service experts as well as being in constant contact with Germany without determining a solution.

They check all mechanical components and all were working as designed. They even checked the compressor temperature sensor that shuts down air release from the springs on high temperature. They were at the accepted procedure point where all than could do was begin changing all the parts in the system unit it worked. Considering that this could cost 2 to 3 times the value of the car, the option was not followed. Instead, the air springs where replaced with after market coil springs and the runs well expect for the head light height adjustment alarm that VW could not silence.

SO IN CONCLUSION I HAVE AIR SUSPENSION PARTS AVAILABLE QUITE REASONABLY – PLEASE SEE CLASSIFIEDS. ALSO, PLEASE NOTE THAT AIR IS RELEASED FOR THE SPRINGS VIA THE COMPRESSOR MANIFOLD (OR AT LEAST I THINK SO). SINCE THERE IS ONLY ONE AIR LINE TO EACH AIR SPRING, CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW THE AIR IS DISCHARED FROM THE AIR SPRING VIA THE INLET CHECK VALVE? VW COULD NOT.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
This SSP gives you a good rundown of the air suspension system:

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_302.PDF

VCDS (aka VAG-COM) is the program to use to diagnose problems with the air suspension or any other Touareg issue.

The only other part I'm not seeing being looked at is the valve block assembly. But if the new air suspension module would not communicate correctly, that is my first suspect.

The valve block controls air to and from the air spring and the reservoir. It can also discharge the air. See the SSP for details.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
You only have one line going into each air shock. The valve assembly near the air compressor controls if the air in incoming or outgoing on that line. Connect shock to air tank to inflate. Connect shock to air release to deflate.

The only other complication in the air flow is the RPV residual pressure valve that is screwed into the top of each air shock. It connects the air shock to the air line. The purpose of it is that if the air line ruptures, it closes so that air is trapped inside the shock, preventing a total deflation of the air.

The RPV is usually what gives us the most trouble.

VW does not teach it's dealers how this system works. They do a swap and replace. If leak, then replace the shock. If not going up and down, replace the air compressor and valve assembly. If both of these do not fix it, look for a air line leak and fix that. That is very close to the VW USA diagnostics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. For added data the compressor and module were check and worked correctly. The dealer, including regional service from Germany, stated that the control module was OK and noted that both of them responded the same. Germany thought something was wrong in the rear end system. Again thanks.
For Nickyt, thanks for description of RPV. That makes sense. I am sure that the problem could have been solved if I had a work space area or had be willing to let VW replace all the parts. Problem is, once it is taken from stock you own it.

Again, thanks for the answers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts