Club Touareg Forum banner

Air suspension

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  divemedic 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the air suspension on the v10 4XMotion circa 2007/08 is the same as or interchangeable with the suspension on the 2013 4XMotion please? I'm considering seeing an automotive engineer to explore the possibility of increasing my tow all weight from 280kg to the 350kg payload of the v10. Our new van has 300kg ball weight fully loaded and it's very difficult to reposition the payload to reduce the ball load. On that theme, can anyone suggest an engineer in Melbourne who may have knowledge of our vehicles? Thanks Touareg fans!

#3 ·
I know van suspensions these days are complex but if possible might be cheaper to move the axles forward . . assuming they can take the extra weight that is. What distance to move can be worked out. I did this for a boat trailer - the reverse actually - more load on the ball to take load off the axles.

Carry spare wheels - including treg spare - on the back of the van?

No matter what you do to the treg, insurance will be a problem if there is (heaven forbid) an accident. The treg is rated to 280 and no matter what you do to it (e.g. fit a 350kg rated Hayman Reese hitch) insurance will still rate it at 280kg as per the manufacturers specs.

#5 ·
What is the gross weight of the van itself when its loaded?

#7 ·
Other than insurance liability, it's unlikely to be a huge problem. (IMnsHO)
The manufacturer has to build in a worst case scenario loading factor to arrive at a tow ball weight.
This is probably calculated as running at 60km/h with a 3500kg mass at max towbar load…..over a track that should be crawled over.

I have towed heavy in the past , and my coal face advice re insurance was that the insurance would only be affected if the weight towed contributed to any accidental damage.

#8 ·
I do agree . . 20kg sheesh . . . mount a spare wheel on the back of the van bumper bar and the difference will go away.

Nice van btw . . . the one my brother should have bought . .

#9 ·
Hi Toiler and tgh05. Thanks for your interest and suggestions. I know 20kg is bugger all but if stopped for a compliance weigh, Jayco advised me that the authority will check GCM first, then ATM and ball weight as well as tha GVM of the tow vehicle. Jayco told me that ball weight is a compliance issue, not just an insurance issue. The vans suspension is very complex and once again insurance would be the issue even if I could move the axel group forwards. There is a formula for calculating the effect of load placement on ball weight. I am already designing a new rear bar to carry two spares for the van as well as jerry cans. It will be about 80kg, so it will solve ball weight problem. My enquiry was hopefully to attack the problem from two directions. Better to get weight off the ball as that affects my payload.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.