Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I ask a question that might have been answered somewhere.

My story: I am interested in 2011 of later Touareg 3.0 TDI. The only doubt that I still have is the suspension, should I treat myself with air or go for coil. I live in Switzerland, so I do encounter snow once in a while, however I do not do any serious off-tracking, nor do I plan to be pulling any boats or caravans. I am thinking about air simply for the sake of comfort. However, I have heard from many, as well as read online about often problems with air suspension and how costly are these problems to fix. On the other hand, most of these comments were related to the first model of Touareg. How much did the quality and reliability of air suspension improved in the second generation Touaregs? How likely are problems to arise related with air suspension?

Any advice on which option should I go for?

Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I test drove both while I was searching for my T1. I personally could feel the difference between the air and coils and went with air and have been very happy with my decision.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Knock on wood no issues with my 2008 on air. I had a 2004 steel and 2006 steel and now my 2008 air. Love the ride quality! Handles much better!!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Air = open road comfort + better control in the twisty's!

Seriously, noticeable difference and helps on resale. The big problem has been corrosion. Keep it clean and get an extended warentee which covers 4C air, but struts, shocks and springs are not covered.

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
Air = open road comfort + better control in the twisty's!

Seriously, noticeable difference and helps on resale. The big problem has been corrosion. Keep it clean and get an extended warentee which covers 4C air, but struts, shocks and springs are not covered.
I don't think the T2 will suffer the corrosion issue due to a redesign of the top cap on the front struts. I have yet to notice anything on mine and I have definitely been in salt environments with my Treg.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I recently had one of the biggest damages that can happen in air suspension, had to change the air compressor. VW wanted EUR 1600!! I purchased the original Wabco air compressor from e-bay for EUR400, plus 50 for the installation. So, not a very big expense even in the uncomfortable situation of having the air compressor broken. Note that with air suspension you don't have the expense of changing dampers that need to be replaced on a regular basis in every vehicle with steel suspension.
Some other advantages of the air suspension is that you can choose between sport / comfort / auto (with sport being really sport) and having the vehicle lowering at high speed for improved ride control. For me, air suspension is one of the big advantages of this vehicle.
PS. I have a 2003 3.2v6 with 155K (kms).

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Is there a "low load" setting on air suspension so you can drop the car whilst getting old people in for example?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Is there a "low load" setting on air suspension so you can drop the car whilst getting old people in for example?
Good question...exact reason I am thinking Cayenne. Getting more difficult for the parents. The allroad was able to but not sure what the cayenne/touareg height is in lowest setting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good question...exact reason I am thinking Cayenne. Getting more difficult for the parents. The allroad was able to but not sure what the cayenne/touareg height is in lowest setting.
There is a "loading level". Car goes down by 4-5cm (1.6-2 inches), i don't remember the exact number. It will go up to normal level when start moving. It also helps when you want to put something big or heavy on the roof

·
Registered
151 Posts
It is, and my old parents find it very usefull everytime I take them for a ride.

They also say that the rear seats are the best they have ever experienced as passengers, and with limited mobility and bad backs - that is a good statement ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like using the load level for doing maintenance in the engine bay. I am only 5'8 so makes everything much more accessible. Same thing goes for the highest setting while under the treg.

·
Registered
2011 (MY12) V6 TDI180 4XMotion, 275,000km
251 Posts
Air suspension has another benefit when it comes to jacking the car to remove a wheel.

If left in on-road height, I have to jack the vehicle > 20cm to get the wheel off the ground; even more jacking required if the vehicle is in 'load' height. As I crank the jack, the vehicle rises but the wheel stays firmly planted on the ground until the full extent of suspension articulation has been reached. [Pressing 'Jacking Mode' button does nothing to stop this.]

However, put the air suspension into the highest setting (Extra Off-road) and I only have to jack the car a couple of cm as there is very little suspension articulation in that setting. Saves a lot of cranking the jack.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have air and love it. Added the Programa lowering module for the "around town cruising". Best of all worlds.

My question is whether I would benefit from Cayenne GTS sway bars. Does it make a huge difference with air? I worry it will adversely affect my offroad adventures (I really don't go crazy but hate to ruin the versatility). I know mercedes are shocks adjust pressure side to side as you turn to combat body roll but i am not sure the touareg is that technical.

input appreciated...

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
[Pressing 'Jacking Mode' button does nothing to stop this.]
You have to press and hold the Jack button until you get a message in the MFI that it is in Jack Mode. It will also ding at you when in this mode also. It definitely works on mine.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You have to press and hold the Jack button until you get a message in the MFI that it is in Jack Mode. It will also ding at you when in this mode also. It definitely works on mine.
Yes, I press and hold the 'Jacking Mode' button until the symbol appears in the MFI, but I don't get a 'ding'. Even when the symbol is displayed, when I jack up the car, the vehicle is raised but the wheel stays firmly planted until full suspension articulation is reached - I wonder if VCDS would show any associated malfunction?

I also wonder if my servicing agent has knackered my 'Jacking Mode' - I always remind them that my vehicle has air suspension and that they have to put it into 'Jacking Mode' before they raise it on the hoist - I expect that advice may have fallen on deaf ears.

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
You don't actually hear the pump running when you jack it up do you? Jacking mode is just to keep it from trying to keep leveling it's self while you jack it up. You still will have the travel of the suspension to worry about when jacking just like a non air suspended vehicle. I think this is what you are experiencing. It is not going to lock the suspension in at a certain level, it will just not feed anymore air to the system to make up for that one corner being lifted.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You don't actually hear the pump running when you jack it up do you? Jacking mode is just to keep it from trying to keep leveling it's self while you jack it up. You still will have the travel of the suspension to worry about when jacking just like a non air suspended vehicle. I think this is what you are experiencing. It is not going to lock the suspension in at a certain level, it will just need feed anymore air to the system to make up for that one corner being lifted.
Thanks Yeti, as I thought. No pump running when jacking with 'Jacking Mode' engaged. I checked VCDS - no faults.

Confirms my observation that if I need to jack my vehicle by hand, first raise it to Extra Off-road height to reduce the amount of suspension travel before the wheel lifts off the ground.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts