Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've read somewhere that you can use the air compressor to inflate tires, is this just on some models as I don't remember reading it in the manual?

Planning some beach driving soon and this would be a useful feature.

Daz

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

I've read somewhere that you can use the air compressor to inflate tires, is this just on some models as I don't remember reading it in the manual?

Planning some beach driving soon and this would be a useful feature.

Daz
There should be a compressor in the spare wheel well to inflate the space saver tyre. To my knowledge, this is not related to the air suspension. I would think you could use this to inflate any tyre as long as the cord/hose reaches. I haven't really checked that out myself.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
if you have air suspension, you have a inflation hose kit that hooks up to a port under the seat.

Kit looks like this and usually found under the rear seat

If you have steel suspension it will come with a compressor in the rear trunk area that connects to the 12v socket.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have this setup on my 2008, just be aware when you hook up the hose to the connector under passenger seat, your dash will beep letting you know the spare tire is being filled up. You car must be on and running for the hose connector to work. After you disconnect the hose and drive, the red tire symbol and "Spare tire filling" message will go away.

·
Registered
683 Posts
did I see somewhere that it is for emergency use only?

I have a 160Lmp accessory unit that inflates the full size tyres pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

I have a 160Lmp accessory unit that inflates the full size tyres pretty quickly.
Yes. The air suspension is high pressure but low volume.

The system doesn't like working hard.

I tried once but it failed to pump 4 tyres from 1 bar to 2.5 bar.

If you want to go offroading and want to pump all 4 tyres afterwards, invest in a 160lpm compressor. Use it while idling. 14volts as opposed to 12 volts makes a huge difference to those compressors.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I trust you all use the heavy duty terminals under the bonnet/hood for the compressors and not the 12V cigarette/phone charger sockets in the car . . .

·
Registered
344 Posts
G'day
It's a fiddly pain in the arse to use and the gauge is fragile (mine no longer works) and the hose is too short BUT the low volume concept allows at least one beer to be consumed while tyres are inflated...so not so bad...

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts

Hi Rag, I am with you. I picked up a high volume compressor from ARB. I do a lot of sand and rocky road work on reduced tyre pressure and I am not to keen on making the onboard work that hard.
It also cheaper to replace...

Stuart...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Agree with all of the above. Get yourself a decent aftermarket compressor with alligator clips (for the under-bonnet terminals). I have been in the situation 4eP describes... 3 tyres done then the compressor decides to take a rest for a while. I now travel with an ARB unit with an extension hose to reach the caravan tyres. Also, the valve attachment (screw) fitting on my OEM hose is a real pain. Dub

·
Registered
336 Posts
My Treg stays on road for the most part, so little need for high volume pump ups in off beat places but I do agree it's worth protecting the onboard unit by not flogging the life out of it making pump up 4 nearly flat 4x4 tyres.

The onboard unit has its uses though, just last weekend my father called me, one tyre on the old trailer had gone flat. Trailer was stacked with rubbish and sitting on grass so he couldn't move it, Treg to the rescue.... We got the thing pumped up sufficiently to get it to the tyre shop.

So, as someone who doesn't carry a compressor usually it was super handy and has now become more than a mere novelty.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Gunna is correct. With the 2015 Touareg there is no connecting point under the driver's seat. Instead there is an 12 volt compressor in the spare wheel compartment. I too use an ARB compressor, but if stuck the supplied compressor works well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Gunna is correct. With the 2015 Touareg there is no connecting point under the driver's seat. Instead there is an 12 volt compressor in the spare wheel compartment. I too use an ARB compressor, but if stuck the supplied compressor works well.
I didn't realise that, looks like another feature stripped out to save cost.....

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ditto for 2013 Treg re connecting point. I too have a heavy duty compressor although the factory unit is not that bad.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
I didn't realise that, looks like another feature stripped out to save cost.....
Not exactly, I think you will find the Air Suspension System on the T3 (7p) is significantly changed from the T1/2 (7L) in that it is effectively a closed loop system where only a small amount of "make-up" air is drawn in, and the majority of the air volume is retained in the system. I don't have any technical data on this at the moment and stand to be corrected.

If my assertion is correct then it would be totally unsuitable to be used as a tyre inflation pump. Hence the inclusion of a "steel spring" type compressor with the Air Suspension systems on the later vehicle.

Closed circuit systems are less impacted by moisture and require much small air dryer units, which tends to increase their service live.

If I am way off please feel free to step in at set the record straight.

Stuart....

·
Registered
42 Posts
2015 R Lines have a separate compressor stored with the space saver. Its not connected to the air suspension. Works well but gets v hot after filling the space saver.

·
Learner
4,981 Posts
Hi, I've read somewhere that you can use the air compressor to inflate tires, is this just on some models as I don't remember reading it in the manual? Planning some beach driving soon and this would be a useful feature. Daz
Only on the T1/T2s. T3s have a closed loop air suspension.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not exactly, I think you will find the Air Suspension System on the T3 (7p) is significantly changed from the T1/2 (7L) in that it is effectively a closed loop system where only a small amount of "make-up" air is drawn in, and the majority of the air volume is retained in the system. I don't have any technical data on this at the moment and stand to be corrected.

If my assertion is correct then it would be totally unsuitable to be used as a tyre inflation pump. Hence the inclusion of a "steel spring" type compressor with the Air Suspension systems on the later vehicle.

Closed circuit systems are less impacted by moisture and require much small air dryer units, which tends to increase their service live.

If I am way off please feel free to step in at set the record straight.

Stuart....
Nice explanation. Thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Guys - Happy New Year!

Have a question, has anyone ever installed an air dryer in a T1 for the suspension if not can it be done? Even my 1969 300SEL 6.3 has one and you have to put denatured Alcohol in it.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I seem to recall there is one in the system already.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts