Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hope you guys don't mind a technical question..
Some of the places I like to travel to require driving hours on a washboard gravel road. In my previous rig, the shocks would get scalding hot, so much that I upgraded to external reservoir shocks.
What happens with the air suspension system in a Touareg under these conditions ? I assume they must dampen like a conventional shock and don't they build up heat in doing so ? How do they dissipate heat ? The thought of not having to feel the washboard shake the car to pieces is very appealing. I hope it not the case that the air suspension system is "not designed for that application"

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is my understanding that the air portion basically replaces the spring, and is dampened like any other vehicle. I've heard that the air suspension does quite well in the videos that I have watched, but with the prolonged rutted road, you may get the same results with the dampener overheating.

Hope you guys don't mind a technical question..
Some of the places I like to travel to require driving hours on a washboard gravel road. In my previous rig, the shocks would get scalding hot, so much that I upgraded to external reservoir shocks.
What happens with the air suspension system in a Touareg under these conditions ? I assume they must dampen like a conventional shock and don't they build up heat in doing so ? How do they dissipate heat ? The thought of not having to feel the washboard shake the car to pieces is very appealing. I hope it not the case that the air suspension system is "not designed for that application"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It is my understanding that the air portion basically replaces the spring, and is dampened like any other vehicle. I've heard that the air suspension does quite well in the videos that I have watched, but with the prolonged rutted road, you may get the same results with the dampener overheating.
I suspect the shocks with air ride system might be a more likely to overheat because they are somewhat insulated by the air bags. Oh well, just might have to stop and let things cool down every so often, or maybe install a water spray system lol. There also cooling fins which can be installed on the part of the shocks which are exposed.
I see that Bilstein makes complete assemblies ( B4 I believe ), are they any better than oem or others ?

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
I suspect the shocks with air ride system might be a more likely to overheat because they are somewhat insulated by the air bags. Oh well, just might have to stop and let things cool down every so often, or maybe install a water spray system lol. There also cooling fins which can be installed on the part of the shocks which are exposed.
I see that Bilstein makes complete assemblies ( B4 I believe ), are they any better than oem or others ?
I have a set of the Bilsteins for the front of my T3 whenever I get around to doing the swap.

Not sure if some of the heat would transfer to the air inside of the airbags, or if the bags would just insulate it.

A little break to cool down the shocks,and maybe your spine wouldn't be a bad idea.

·
Learner
4,709 Posts
Been using air suspension for over a decade now on the Touareg, and across the worst terrain/corrugations for days on and its the best thing.
Checkout the aussie outback corrugated tracks...bone rattling, so its proven itself for sure

1 - 5 of 5 Posts