Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm working with a company (buddy of mine) that has developed a slip on arm that goes over the stock level sensor arm and allows for more adjustment of the air ride settings.

Stock level is the same, sport mode would be lower than normal, and off-road would be higher as well, as would the extra level.

They are aluminum and powercoated black.

The exact amounts of travel change for the Touaregs have yet to be determined, but they are getting 50% more adjust-ability with the Audi Allroads...

Any interest from you guys and gals?

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
277 Posts
Mate of mine has tried these on his new range rover sport. Just asking the question, wouldn't it "stretch" the bags having it extend higher. I'm presuming that there is only so much travel that the bags can produce. I would've thought that making them try and push the car higher in the air would have its limits, but I'm not technical when it comes to how these suspension components work on air ride models.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mate of mine has tried these on his new range rover sport. Just asking the question, wouldn't it "stretch" the bags having it extend higher. I'm presuming that there is only so much travel that the bags can produce. I would've thought that making them try and push the car higher in the air would have its limits, but I'm not technical when it comes to how these suspension components work on air ride models.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk
I do believe that everything is kept withing the working limits of the bags range of travel even extra mode provided that no ride height setting were adjusted with vag-com.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
did these get over the line for the treg ??

Reactions: TouaregerPNW

·
Registered
146 Posts
Interesting - so basically - it makes the link longer so it takes more suspension movement to get the same effect. Neat. So simple.

·
Registered
Black 2004 V10
268 Posts
I would be interested if available, i have adjustable links on mine at the moment to lower it as mine NEVER goes of road haha

·
Registered
146 Posts
I bought these to try - my "new" 2004 V8 Touareg came with some rather large tires and my wife has to have me set it on "loading' to get in - since very adjustable for length, they could be made to cause lift or lowering. The instructions say they are set for around 3/4 inch (20mm?) lowering as packaged. I have not had time to put them in yet. 2004-2012 VOLKSWAGEN VW TOUAREG ADJUSTABLE LOWERING LINKS SUSPENSION KIT | eBay

·
Registered
2006 V10 TDI
57 Posts
I bought these to try - my "new" 2004 V8 Touareg came with some rather large tires and my wife has to have me set it on "loading' to get in - since very adjustable for length, they could be made to cause lift or lowering. The instructions say they are set for around 3/4 inch (20mm?) lowering as packaged. I have not had time to put them in yet. 2004-2012 VOLKSWAGEN VW TOUAREG ADJUSTABLE LOWERING LINKS SUSPENSION KIT | eBay
For your use, have you considered side steps? Side Steps installed...

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's sort of weird - but the stock height is why I first got a Touareg - a 2004 V6/no airbags. My wife would just "turn and sit". She has limited mobility - so stepping up on the bar, even if she could, would then have her "too tall" to just sit - I need to have the seat of the car at around the right height for her standing next to the car. Her car - the V10 - is STILL IN THE SHOP (another story) so I finally just sold my 45mpg TDI Beetle and got a 12mpg V8 Touareg a couple of weeks ago. Working from home will last another 6 months for my work and I likely will not be 5 days commuting ever again - so I can live with ****ty mileage in a cheap (ish) car that will suit winter driving and keep my wife as comfortable as I can make it. Bonus the V8 came with a heated steering wheel. So - adjustable arms cause I don't know the code to modify the setting via VCDS lol. If she steals this V8(heated steering has been long time request from her) and I end up driving the V10 maybe I'll "lift it" and do the "loading" setting when she rides in it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Installed the arms. Way easier with the liner out - so when I swapped the alternator - did the RH arm - removed the left tire and did not pull the liner - do-able, but the instructions said you can do with just setting the car to xtra level - I dunno - it's tough with the tires out. A box-end ratchet 10mm would help. You need very slender 10mm to hold the ball stud while removing the 10mm nut. Then the new arms are an 8mm on the stuff (aka 5/16) - also has to be very slender to fit in and hold it. My old set of ignition wrenches finally had a use again :D . The silver V8 with oversized tires roughly matches the V10 with stock 19's now. In a month or 2 it gets stock 18' rims with snow tires so I might adjust some height back for winter while the tires are off again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So two ball joints and piece of all thread? Gotta love the simplicity.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Do you have any before/after ride height numbers?

tonyB

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
that makes sense good call TB

·
Registered
146 Posts
Eh - it dropped about an inch - I didn't measure. I swapped to some smaller winter tires - I think the V8 had the ride height modd'd electronically before I got it cause it's just 1/2 inch below the stock V10 now with same size tires on both rigs. The oversize tires really filled the wheel wells. You could turn these into "lift kits" by shortening the arms too. I see online some very similar with both rh and lh threads - this would let you adjust without disconnecting the arms. Would be smarter I suppose but I won't be cranking it up and down much. It's sort of a pain cause they re-use 1 of the 2 balls from the stock arms. No going back really. I saw some on ebay for an Audi that were rh/lh threaded but more money and longer lead time I went with these. Bought another set, going to tweak the v10 next.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts