Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 with Air suspension. 2 Weeks ago, clunking noise developed in the front end and and my mechanic replaced the lower control arms and it didn't solve the clunking noise even though the lower control arms bushing were all really bad. This week, we changed out the upper control arms and while driving to the alignment shop, i noticed too much bouncing from the front end. At the traffic light, got out and found the front end was sitting too low and rear sitting at normal height and I started having the "fault running gear workshop" in the Cluster. Drove about 5-10 mins in that situation till I got home. I check the suspension and found out the passenger side's level sensor was not attached. The level sensor links were bad. Today, The mechanic created his own linkage(pic below) and NOW the suspension is not leveled. I get the "fault running gear workshop" about 1-2 minutes of driving every time I start/restart the car. One side sits a bit higher than the other side. He also checked the each suspension height and they were all different, not much tho.
The suspension takes longer to get from level 4 to level 5 height, so the compressor is working more. All this happened after replacing the upper control arms. When we first changed the lower control arms, none of this was happening.

I have read many threads saying it could be the battery, the compressor or leaks.
NOTE: Before doing any of this, the Touareg was flawless. Everything was working. The suspension was working fine without any issues. I have never had the "fault running rear workshop" since I have owned it. I have never had an issue with the battery. I have never had any light in the dash or cluster display.. This is all new and it was after replacing the upper control arms.
My mechanic has this fancy $3400 Bosch OTC 3896 diagnostic tool and he check the level control module and the level sensor code came up. He also checked the each suspension height and they were all different, not much tho.

The suspension still work, goes up and down.
Could it be my suspension level sensors? Any inputs, thoughts or ideas are appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I understand the sensor lingage was broken. If so get a used sensor from ebay. They go for around 50$. When you install it disconnect the battery for a few hours and connect it back. Battery disconnect screw is under the driver carpet (lhd). You don't have to go under the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
453 Posts
The linkage your mechanic created is not the correct length. as such, the vehicle is sensing that corner is sitting at the wrong height and is trying to adjust. you need to replace with the proper linkage, or at least the correct length. you will also have to perform a height calibration.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand the sensor lingage was broken. If so get a used sensor from ebay. They go for around 50$. When you install it disconnect the battery for a few hours and connect it back. Battery disconnect screw is under the driver carpet (lhd). You don't have to go under the seat.

TRespect, Thank you for your reply. I looked on eBay and I am going to buy a used one. I rented a VAG COM (time to make it permanent) on eBay and when it comes in, I will check if one or both sensors are bad. if one sensors turns out to be bad, Can I just replace that one? I forgot to mention that my created created the linkage on both sides. So i guess buy 2 sensors with the right links. I'm leaning more towards getting new ones. Expensive, I know

The linkage your mechanic created is not the correct length. as such, the vehicle is sensing that corner is sitting at the wrong height and is trying to adjust. you need to replace with the proper linkage, or at least the correct length. you will also have to perform a height calibration.
Thank you for your reply. I don't think i mentioned this or made it clear, but he created the linkage on both sides. Its totally possible that one linkage might be set higher than the other one. I will do calibration when when I replace replace the sensors with the proper links.

Someone please help with the part numbers. I know Touareg with Air suspension has four sensors, 2 front and 2 rear. Does Touareg WITH Air suspension and Touareg WITHOUT Air Suspension have the same part numbers? Does the front and rear have the same part numbers? I'm asking these questions because I have seen several part numbers. Am I right on this? have air ride
7L0616213 - Left Front
7L0616214 - Right Front
7L0616571 - Rears (same for both sides)

Does the A,B,C,D,E letters at the end of the part numbers matters?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
TRespect, Thank you for your reply. I looked on eBay and I am going to buy a used one. I rented a VAG COM (time to make it permanent) on eBay and when it comes in, I will check if one or both sensors are bad. if one sensors turns out to be bad, Can I just replace that one? I forgot to mention that my created created the linkage on both sides. So i guess buy 2 sensors with the right links. I'm leaning more towards getting new ones. Expensive, I know

Thank you for your reply. I don't think i mentioned this or made it clear, but he created the linkage on both sides. Its totally possible that one linkage might be set higher than the other one. I will do calibration when when I replace replace the sensors with the proper links.

Someone please help with the part numbers. I know Touareg with Air suspension has four sensors, 2 front and 2 rear. Does Touareg WITH Air suspension and Touareg WITHOUT Air Suspension have the same part numbers? Does the front and rear have the same part numbers? I'm asking these questions because I have seen several part numbers. Am I right on this? have air ride
7L0616213 - Left Front
7L0616214 - Right Front
7L0616571 - Rears (same for both sides)

Does the A,B,C,D,E letters at the end of the part numbers matters?
Just get the exact same part number you have on your sensor if you can have access to it. Next time take a picture of any part you're about to work on. Don't get a different part number with a different ending letter unless you know for sure it works with your car. Or you will have module/senosor/car version mismatch and you will have to start all over again. If buying new go to a vw dealer to get the oem stuff. If buying used get the exact same thing.
You can get more info here

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick reply: your vcds plan off ebay is a waste of money. Get the real thing, trust me.

I rented the real real vcds cable. This my second time doing that. I wasn't referring to the cheap knock off ones. There is a store by the name of midwest_vw on Ebay(puc below) that does. I need to get one instead of renting it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just get the exact same part number you have on your sensor if you can have access to it. Next time take a picture of any part you're about to work on. Don't get a different part number with a different ending letter unless you know for sure it works with your car. Or you will have module/senosor/car version mismatch and you will have to start all over again. If buying new go to a vw dealer to get the oem stuff. If buying used get the exact same thing.
You can get more info here

I called my dealer this morning and they game me the part numbers.
7L0616213D - left side
7L0616214C - right side

·
Registered
453 Posts
You can purchase a VCDS clone from eBay or AliExpress for $40, why rent one for $45??? I purchased my eBay clone 5 years ago and have used it on well over 100 vehicles without issue.

You need to replace with the correct part number. The sensors themselves are all identical, its the linkage assembles that make each unique. VW only sells as a complete assembly (sensor and linkage). Touaregs with air suspension have 4 sensors, Touaregs without air suspension only have two sensors on the drivers side front and rear.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can purchase a VCDS clone from eBay or AliExpress for $40, why rent one for $45??? I purchased my eBay clone 5 years ago and have used it on well over 100 vehicles without issue.

You need to replace with the correct part number. The sensors themselves are all identical, its the linkage assembles that make each unique. VW only sells as a complete assembly (sensor and linkage). Touaregs with air suspension have 4 sensors, Touaregs without air suspension only have two sensors on the drivers side front and rear.
Oh really? I need to get me one of those. It'll save me a lot of money.
I opted to buy new. I called my dealer and they asked for my VIN and they gave me part numbers. I got a better deal at $175 a piece from VW of Peoria in Illinois. Guess I'll have to keep driving the car like this for now.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
713 Posts
get the real vcds from Ross Tech. It is a proven device and has helped many. Just because one person has good luck cheating a good company is not reason to blindly follow. The Ross Tech will pay for itself quickly and will be reliable for years. I have had mine since 2009 and never wished I had ripped of the company by buying a clone.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
get the real vcds from Ross Tech. It is a proven device and has helped many. Just because one person has good luck cheating a good company is not reason to blindly follow. The Ross Tech will pay for itself quickly and will be reliable for years. I have had mine since 2009 and never wished I had ripped of the company by buying a clone.
I had a clone one a while back, but it stopped working. So I need something reliable, yea.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE
I received my front level sensors last week and it was put in today. After installing them, we did calibration using VAG COM. Everything is back to order and working as normal. Suspension is sitting leveled. We also changed out a risidual pressure valve because there was a leak. No fault anywhere. I'm happy!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
4 Participants
TRespect
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing