Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering purchasing 2006 V10 and trying to gauge what I'm getting into. In a well-functioning Touareg, does the air suspension make adjustments after the car is turned off? After parking and shutting it down, this Touareg released air twice in short, controlled bursts. It didn't sound like a leak. My last one was spring suspension so I don't know if this is normal.

For what it's worth, the vehicle has the periodic RUNNING GEAR FAULT WORKSHOP problem. During my tire-kicking it also came up with STOP RUNNING GEAR FAULT. Both went away when re-starting the engine. The test drive was otherwise fine and the air suspension seems to work through all of the levels.

Thanks

· Registered
2,067 Posts
Somethings up with it. It should not release air after shutdown.

If they'll take $3-$4,000 off the price, OR fix the problem before purchase, go for it.

I have replaced my compressor, rebuilt my compressor and checked for leaks (none) on mine, searching in vain for a solution. I am about to replace the valve block. The only thing left after that is the controller.

The Running gear fault WILL go away after stopping and restarting. But that doesn't mean the problem is gone.

· Registered
2,783 Posts
Somethings up with it. It should not release air after shutdown.

If they'll take $3-$4,000 off the price, OR fix the problem before purchase, go for it.

I have replaced my compressor, rebuilt my compressor and checked for leaks (none) on mine, searching in vain for a solution. I am about to replace the valve block. The only thing left after that is the controller.

The Running gear fault WILL go away after stopping and restarting. But that doesn't mean the problem is gone.

Not sure that is 100% correct mine certainly will do a controlled release of air after exiting the vehicle and I never had any faults.
Just like when you pull up at traffic lights sometimes it will adjust itself while your standing there waiting for the lights to change.

Maybe Singh could chime if he has ever noticed that with his??

regards
Drag

· Registered
1,827 Posts
If it's not parked level it will hiss to self level.

· Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,456 Posts
Yes. The Touareg air suspension will self adjust for (around) ten minutes after you shut down the engine. As you exit the vehicle, the car rises slightly. Air will be let out of the shocks to lower, compensating for your lack of weight.

Now (my understanding is) that the front air release hose is supposed to be terminated into the engine intake air manifold. That way, the interior of the intake air system acts as a sort of muffler to the sharp sound of released air. I have never had to verify this, but if I was hearing a very loud hiss, I would try to track down exactly where the front air shock air is released.

To OP. Ways to test.

Stop. Put in Jack Mode, get out. There will be no self adjusting, therefore no hiss.

Also, sit inside for thirty minutes and it will not adjust when you get out.

· Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,456 Posts
As an addition to the above.

I have been trying to figure out where the air discharge comes from the air suspension system. Each shock has one air line. Each shock is hooked directly to the air valve assembly, which is connected to the air compressor. The self study guide does say that all incoming and outgoing air goes past the air dryer assembly.

But, where the compressor pulls the air from and where excess air is vented to is not specified. All that is said is that both incoming and outgoing air passes thru the air dryer assembly.

Finally found the reference that the air hose goes into the air filter housing.

If the hose has worked loose, then the "woosh" of exiting air would be much louder.

Attachments

· Registered
2,067 Posts
On the T2, it does indeed discharge through the air filter housing. The inlet and discharge hoses meet together and then one hose goes to the air filter box, drawing in filtered air or discharging air into the area behind the air filter.

If you pull off the plastic cover, you can trace the hoses that run from the air compressor intake and the air drier discharge pipe. They join together and lead to the air intake box.

· Registered
555 Posts
it will self level if it is not parked on a level surface.
Also if you open the trunk and close it, it will lower to loading mode.
If you are in off-roading mode and open the hood, front will dive to load fluids etc.
It is a 13 year old car but still have some nice features..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.