Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually leave my 05 Touareg in 'sport' mode, but after a few days it ends up at the 'comfort' ride height.
If I switch between comfort and sport it goes back to sport, for a few days.

I have gotten the "running gear workshop" error once, it went away, and there are no codes stored in the computer.

Any idea what might cause this?:confused:

·
Registered
339 Posts
the setting you are adjusting is damping not ride height , it may or may not adjust ride height when you change the setting.
According to the Vw SSP 302 documentation, the damping system is adaptive to both car speed and driving style.
Does the indicator on the dash always correctly match the setting on the roller button, or are you saying that after some time the system is reporting it in comfort mode event when you have it set to sport.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure, because the ride height isn't always displayed.
I can tell that the ride height goes up to the comfort height even though the switch is in sport- when I first got it, I took a picture of each level, loading, sport, comfort, off road and xtra.

When i cycle the dial from comfort to sport, it drops right down to the sport height.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Do you have a Vcds? All the height /level values at each wheel are available to read in real time.
My Treg often does a tiny height wiggle and readjusts up or down when I pull up at the traffic lights, especially when in sport damping mode, it worried me at first, now I am used to it. It am sure it would display an error if the operation of the level / damping controller was causing the input sensors to read values outside of acceptable parameters.

·
Registered
339 Posts
@Mc762:
Do you regularly drive over 125 kph?
Do you regularly drive over rough bumpy terrain?

Both may affect the general ride height of the car, it is possible that by moving the switch from sport to comfort and back to sport that you are just recerting it back to the default damping and height for that mode, but it is then readjusting to the terrain and driving style so.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have a VCDS
It is possible that I hit 125kph, and there are some bumpy roads in Minnesota
I've never noticed the ride height change on its own. I thought maybe because it has been warming up the air pressure in the system was changing.
Typically I do drive the thing pretty mildly, but I like the lower ride height

·
Registered
339 Posts
If the Treg moves up and down when you adjust the ride height dial (not the damping selector roller button) then I would day it's working as intended.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just noticed this problem last weekend. Car goes back to comfort(auto) height itself even the dial in Sport mode. But if I switch to auto mode then back to sport mode, it will lower to sport mode. It will go back to comfort(auto) height itself when I restart the car. I only notice this recently. Haven't check the code yet. I only drive it on weekend. If it keep doing this then I will VCDS it then report it back.

·
Registered
162 Posts
likely the switch is dirty and making erratic electrical conduction, mine is intermittantly doing the same, if I scroll/roll the selector a few time is will temporarily work for a period of time

I'm gonna remove the switches, clean and deoxit with a good electrical product

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ran across a new OEM replacement switch on ECS for about $80:

http://bit.ly/29UJHTo

If anyone's switch keeps acting up, replacement is much cheaper than I thought.

·
Registered
44 Posts
likely the switch is dirty and making erratic electrical conduction, mine is intermittantly doing the same, if I scroll/roll the selector a few time is will temporarily work for a period of time

I'm gonna remove the switches, clean and deoxit with a good electrical product
When it happened, did the dashboard display anything(like the normal height adjust display when you scroll the selector)?
Mine display nothing. It just do that all by itself, not display at all.
I think if it is the selector problem. At least the dashboard should display the height adjust.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I rotate regularly between all levels to change the camber and extend tire life. I like all of the options, from sporty to normal to raised at times and have not notice any unusual tire ware.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts