Club Touareg Forum banner

221 - 240 of 267 Posts

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Coated them in Loctite Marine Grade
Anti-Seize. Awesome product. Protects from salt.

Loctite Marine Grade Anti-Seize - Product Search - Henkel
To any other Canadians, report your failures here https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng

The case is still open, to allow more data to be collected. This means that there simply weren't and still aren't enough cases with failures to warrant recall. This is why it is important for people to not remain secretive about this. I think the worst thing one can do is to fix this on his own dime in a private shop, and never have it documented by a VW dealership and anyone else with some power.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
423 Posts
I noticed that my 07 has what looks like white spray paint around where the fittings screw into the shocks... must be some sort of anti-corrosion paint... I wonder if the previous owner had that done, or they did it on all 07's?

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #224

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #225

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The "white spray paint" sounds more like a spray on grease to keep road crud at bay.

As suggested, stick your finger on it and if it is grease, keep it topped up.

As for anyone else, clean the area up, let it dry, and then protect it, topping up the protection before the winter.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi All,

Is it fair enough to say that the potential corrosion is due to salt on the road. I read with interest that most people with this issue are from locations where snow falls.

Regards

Gerald

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes.

But unless you are in a desert, I'd carefully clean them and put a dollop of grease on them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
very sad to hear of a failure of this type

while in the hunt for my V10 I was aware of this issue and careful to examine the fittings during inspection

on one such occasion I viewed a vehicle with a previous fitting repair and was informed that the repair was no wheres near the ripoff at the dealer

the dealer may take a by the book approach, but a repair is a repair and a guarantee is a guarantee

the dealer really took advantage of the situation

I'd like to stay away from this dealer and if you could please warn us of this dealers name , greatly appreciated

My egg has fittings that appear to be in very clean and un corroded state, regardless I sprayed the fitting well with a rust protector "rust check" and then a higher tacky agent with a lithium base to it.

the repair should't be more than 2 hours labour plus the cost of a new fittings

now all you air suspension owners, set on high level, get your head inside the wheel well with a can of rust protector and spray!

a squirt today will keep the pos dealer away!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Clean them carefully first BEFORE you spray! Don't go sealing the salt in!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
chip, chisel , sand, polish, buff, acid bath, soda wash, then spray the F'n **** in there and rest assured that you'll be ok

·
Registered
162 Posts
oh, and I forgot to mention in my first response to this issue,

the dealer must have physically, not accidentally by not using the suspension locking feature put force upon the fitting.

the top of the strutt and air line/ coupling are quite stationary in position unless acted upon by direct force,

the guy in the shop just couldn't leave well enough alone or needed to make a good day's pay

just a theory

now let it snow so I can check out my new Hakkapelittas!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Another leaking UK early touareg...

Dealer over the road after a bit of a fight ordered the bits as per the TSB but is now insisting that due to the fitting being "tight" and "heavily corroded" that the whole strut is replaced @ £1600+labour+tax. The opposite side isn't far behind in terms of visible corrosion.

I'm going to get a second opinion as the dealer near my work haven't exactly been spectacular.

EKTA seems to suggest the very early cars the struts are only available as a complete unit... Mines an early 2003...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Try asking on the UK Touareg site if you haven't already.

myTreg forums

One of the members there did a repair job as he wasn't about to cough up that kind of money on an ageing car and there are some pix too.

Someone else had the union drilled out and the hole re-tapped. I think that may have been someone on here whose dealer was a bit more savvy. Go back through this thread.

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
drill

tap

insert

go on vacation with the money yu just saved!
+1!!!!!

Best advice, and basically how they repaired mine if one goes back 20 pages or so.

The only dilemma that really remains on the repair procedure, is if the mechanic is comfortable enough to drill, tap, insert with the housing still on the vehicle, or would rather take it off the vehicle(more labour time charged of course), and work on it on a bench. From what I understood, although I could be wrong, so someone with some knowledge please do chime in, is that it would be highly undesirable while tapping, to allow debris to fall inside the hole into the housing. The dealer told me if this were to happen, a new air suspension housing would have to be ordered. Now I find that slightly far fetched, but I'm no expert on this either.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
162 Posts
any seasoned tech knows how to tap a hole without contaminating with debris

for those who don't, grease the tap, secret revealed

drills by nature remove debris from inside outside , the grease helps to maintain this debris on the tap once the tap has penetrated and then been removed

"air shocking" isn't this

Lol

·
Registered
501 Posts
This proves again that today's mechanics cannot repair anything.
They are very skilled at replacing components though!
I don't think the warranties on today's vehicles actually make provision for the above type of repairs.
The result is that the franchise workshops don't train their 'mechanics' to do repairs, even on out-of warranty vehicles.

I suspect (and would not be surprised if it is so) that most franchise workshops don't even have a set of taps and dies!

·
Registered
162 Posts
the most valuable tool is our brain

if the franchise shop is unwilling to "repair" then "remove" the vehicle form the shop

franchise shops these days for the most part robots sent here from the mother ship

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
Just cleaned mine up and winterized them. They were clean and corrosion free, but I took some good warm soapy water and used a 2 inch paint brush (worked great for getting all around the fitting) to clean it good. Then clean water to rinse all soap and gunk off. Then used the wifes hairdryer (shhhh) to dry it good. Sprayed white lithium grease all over it to get in the nooks and crannys, then smeared a good amount of some amsoil lithium grease on the fittings.

15 minutes of preventive maintenance for some good piece of mind.

221 - 240 of 267 Posts
About this Discussion
266 Replies
60 Participants
Imuhagh
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing