Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all the Treg Owners & ClubTouareg Forum Members. I've been following most of the Forum discussions with regards Air Shock Absorber Strut related problems, but have not come across any information on how to access the third of the mounting bolts of the shock absorber assembly. The third bolt is somewhere underneath the brake fluid reservoir, but I don't know how to access it. Basically I need help and advice on how to best and safely remove the front right Air Shock Absorber Strut Assembly of my 2005 R5 Tdi Touareg. I I'll really appreciate a step by step guide and diagram on how to do so? Thanks
Regards
Sipho

P.s. Hi 4ePikanini and Mike Fourie, I am forever grateful to have come across such dedicated guys as yourselves and for all your valuable advice.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Air Shock Absorber Strut Assembly Removal?

Hi Nickyt, thank you very much for your response and time. I'd seen this video before, but I didn't find it completely helpful for my purpose because the vehicle in the video appears to be a left hand driven Porsche Cayenne. Compared to my right side driven Treg's the Porsche's layout is slightly different from what I can see in the video. On the Treg the third mount bolt of the Air shock absorber strut assembly appears to be directly or somewhere under the brake fluid reservoir (please correct me if I am wrong bout this). If this is correct, the question is how do I then access the third bolt. Is there any diagram or video specifically to the Treg?
I look forward to your response, thank you.

Regards
Sipho

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Broaden your audience by posting on the UK site too:

www.mytreg.com

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Air Shock Absorber Strut Assembly Removal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt
Does this help?

The video comes from Arnott which makes air suspension parts for Touareg
https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...24_pid164.html

Hi Nickyt, thank you very much for your response and time. I'd seen this video before, but I didn't find it completely helpful for my purpose because the vehicle in the video appears to be a left hand driven Porsche Cayenne. Compared to my right side driven Treg's the Porsche's layout is slightly different from what I can see in the video. On the Treg the third mount bolt of the Air shock absorber strut assembly appears to be directly or somewhere under the brake fluid reservoir (please correct me if I am wrong bout this). If this is correct, the question is how do I then access the third bolt. Is there any diagram or video specifically to the Treg?
I look forward to your response, thank you.

Regards
Sipho

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Perhaps if somebody here could print out the pages from the factory service manual on the shock removal???

Yeah, I do not have access to a service manual or a subscription to the online version. :(

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The best way to get to the third bolt is by removing the wiper arms and the cowling. Its a PITA, but mark your arms before removing them.

**** me, the OP said it was tricky, but I didn't realise you actually had to amputate your own limbs as well!!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
**** me, the OP said it was tricky, but I didn't realise you actually had to amputate your own limbs as well!!
The OP was right - the tricky part is putting your own arms back on without any arms to use to do it!

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Nooby, you know (better then most) that no automotive job is done until you bleed. :twisted:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Air Shock Strut Removal

But once the wipers have been removed how do I then access the third bolt under the brake fluid reservoir? Do I have to remove the brake fluid reservoir and if so "How do I do that?"
Thanks
Sipho

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But once the wipers have been removed how do I then access the third bolt under the brake fluid reservoir? Do I have to remove the brake fluid reservoir and if so "How do I do that?"
Thanks
Sipho

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
This may help.....

Stuart...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
This video was posted by someone earlier in post #2! Great minds and all that . . .

OFF TOPIC - I have replied to a couple of PMs you sent me over the past few weeks - did you get my responses okay?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Thanks
Sipho
Having just done this.

Yes, you do need to remove the wipers. Once that is done the 3rd bolt is not too bad. It is not really under the reservoir although you will be climbing on the fender with a flashlight to see it. You will need a long extension as well.

I found that a magnetic pickup tool was helpful to retrieve the bolt and, more importantly, to set it in place. Fortunately, the bolts are tapered at the tip so they set pretty easiy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Can someone clue me in on the best way to tighten down the nut to the top of the shock? this black piece on top does not allow me to get a pair of vice grips to hold the threaded portion while I tighten down on the nut. Thanks in advance

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts