Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I removed the VW filter and the VW filter versus the Mann has 1/4 inch foam on one side. The Man c 39 219 which is a replacement does not. Is one better?

Also I swear that mice have been chewing on the foam and there is some scratches on the foam I assume from nail and sundlower shells etc in the box. How do mice get in here how do I stop them. The cars driven daily.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,124 Posts
My 2016 3.0 TDI uses a Mahle LX 2024/1 when supplied by a VW franchised dealer and has the 1/4 inch foam on the one side - I guess the Mann version is cheaper.

·
Registered
2009 T2 3.6L VR6 FSI
451 Posts
The foam version is better especially in areas with dusty conditions. It's an additional layer of filtration. There are some aftermarket air filters that do have the foam, just check the usual online vendors like ecstuning and fcpeuro, for example.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Ill get some mint spray Say when I was changing the filter one of the two sliver clips popped off and I lost it somewhere in the engine compartment. Darn dealer gets 11 bucks for one of those clips.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went in to order the clip today. I swung by service I asked the service guy how much the darn filter would have been to have them install it. I thought he said 8 bucks I was thinking 8 bucks I should of had em do it. I asked again "8 bucks" no he said 80 bucks I assume that was with the filter.

·
Registered
2009 T2 3.6L VR6 FSI
451 Posts
Yikes!!! 80 bucks to replace the air filter????

I just opened up the housing yesterday to check the air filter and it looked fairly clean, so no need to replace it just yet. I guess I should have charged myself at least 40 bucks for that :p

• Haha
Reactions: ljankowski

·
Registered
2016 Touareg TDI LUX
95 Posts
The foam sheet was added to prevent a water saturated paper filter from disintegrating and being sucked into the intake. I think. So I make sure to always get the filter with the foam backing.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,415 Posts
The foam covered VW filters existed before the T3 was on the drawing board. These filters are for severe conditions. As above, you can buy them on the aftermarket.

Sadly the foam will not protect your engine from water damage. Water would just pass thru the foam.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts