Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello;

I've scoured the forums here for a few weeks, tried a few things myself and finally took the 04 Treg into the shop to see what they could do. While I appreciate the information I did find, nothing seemed to nail down my specific issue. Its as follows:

End of last year, air conditioning stopped blowing cold. It was the end of the season, and everything else worked (fans, heater, etc) so I put it off to this year.. Bad idea. Temps have now hit 100+ (forecast 110+) so I finally decided to look into it. Lights, buttons, etc on dash all worked properly, but air did not blow cold- on inspection, the compressor was not spinning, but using a vag-com I borrowed showed the compressor status as ON. Hmm... Assumed the compressor was shot, brought it in to a shop specializing in German cars (hoping they could diagnose better than me rather than rip and replace), and they also agreed it was the compressor- they replaced it, evac+recharge with new expansion valves and drier. After $1500, the AC worked.. kinda.

I noticed right away the AC was not cold; cool, but definitely not cold, and I got a laser IR temp gauge and it showed the vent air coming out anywhere from 65-75', variable. Baffled, I ran the vag com scanner again, and the only error code that populated was the air quality sensor I've seen posted about; I took mine out, cleaned it out, plugged it back in, cleared the codes, and it seems to be gone, for now.

Upon returning to the shop, they told me it was a flow problem and not a cooling problem; at this point I kind of lost faith in this technician, as he was telling me 65' out of the vents was more than adequate (and I've seen multiple posts saying 30's and 40's, and VW stating sub-50 to be considered operational). Nevertheless, they replaced the cabin air filter, re-charged the system and sent me on my way, telling me it was probably the recirculator not engaging.

I got home and got under the glove box to see the recirculation was, in fact, engaging and disengaging. I'm not sure what else they may have done at the shop this time, but now the AC temps are varying wildly- anywhere from 34' (rarely) up to 120' (ambient temp 110 or so.. desert..).

I'm at a loss. I've moved around the cabin and fiddled with the knobs and I seem to hear the blend doors activating, and I can't fathom all of the blend doors not working properly at the same time, or all having failed at once. The car has also now started to gain and lose RPM slowly in idle, makes a low grumble at low RPM's, and the charge is only showing 12V (whereas before it was showing 14..)

... am I wrong in thinking that potentially they gave me a bad compressor? Is there something I'm missing? I'd hate to have to pay them to rip the dash apart to inspect the servos; I'd do it myself, but I'm not sure how to set everything in service mode as directed. Any help greatly appreciated; between my wife, 2 year old and myself this is our only car, and no AC in desert temps and a shop that isn't matching my expectations is really frustrating me here. Thanks for all your help in advance; sorry for such a long post, but wanted to avoid leaving out anything that may be important.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Note: As i'm unable to figure out how the heck to edit the above post, I should point out that the grumble / RPM / charging issues I've mentioned above ONLY happen with the AC 'on'; that is, auto, set to LOW, and fans running. If I press the flow down button until its OFF, the symptoms stop.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Note: As i'm unable to figure out how the heck to edit the above post, I should point out that the grumble / RPM / charging issues I've mentioned above ONLY happen with the AC 'on'; that is, auto, set to LOW, and fans running. If I press the flow down button until its OFF, the symptoms stop.
I've started to hear the same grumbling sound. My AC is fine though. I do have a squeaky fan though i don't think that is related.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The 12 volt reading is worrisome but could be the key. The slightest dip in system voltage will trigger "intervention Load Management" (at address 009 VCDS) which shuts down AC. I never travel w/o VCDS as it happens frequently and can really ruin a trip. Erase that fault and cold air begins to flow!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Have you tried a fresh battery? Touaregs are prone to do weird things with a bad battery.

Other than that read the temperature readings on VCDS (interior left, interior right, rear temp etc.) and see if it makes sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts