Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to fix this error:

1 Fault Found:
01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent - MIL ON

Did the TSB (connector wiring hack) but no luck so I'm looking into it. This thread will host my ramblings about this issue. If you have anything to add you're welcome.

Let's start with this:

Then this guy from the EOS Forum (Airbag light -- intermittent)
I have to research his idea. Sounds like a good idea to isolate the issue.

The air bag squib (the part that goes bang!!) has a resistance of about 2 ohm. I know this because I once had to drive a car across Europe without the front passenger and rear seats to get more space and I wanted my driver airbag operational. I measured the squibs with very high resistance digital ohm meter, so you do have to know what you are doing - else bang!!

The yellow air bag connectors are clever and put on a short circuit when you disconnect them. I can't remember now if the short is only on the squib side connector or both halves? The system will then put on a disconnect fault (warning lit). By pushing in approx 2 ohm resistor into the socket pins on the controller side, the airbag controller will prove that airbag location as o.k.

I'm not telling you this so you can bypass a faulty squib. :eek: But by using a test resistor at the connector you can see if the system will prove and if it does you know your problem is in the wiring or the squib underneath the seat vinyl. If you still get warnings with the test resistor (which you checked on a known good airbag) then you know your problem is wiring to the airbag controller. Testing first could save you ripping open the seat if the fault is upstream towards the controller.

Then there is this guy here

I had the same fault code on my Audi A4, I did the soldering thing, it turned out to be a faulty sensor in the door pillar. Got one on ebay. No problem since, disconnect the battery before attempting to change it. Best of luck

And this guy in the comments here

broken wire in that ruber between doors and chasi! I had same problem,i change sensor in doors and i still was unable to clear the fault,and than i found broken wire in that ruber,then i reconect wire and finally clear the fault.The broken wire was of airbag igniter(impact sensor) in door! I hope this will help you guys!

So some tests and check to do to fix this. I'm tempted to check the sensor to see whether it's a crach sensor fault or wiring fault. Not sure the sensors are all the same and using the same 2 ohm resistance. I don't want to blow the bags.
By the way the error code popped up when I once had a flat battery and had to jump start the Treg.
Let's see where I go from here.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might have some funny surprises when I will start testing the airbags. There might be none in there, only airbag simulators :)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well well the error is gone now. I did a full scan and clear but that didn't clear the error. Today I went into the airbag module in vcds and cleared the error. It has not reappeared since. Will be back here if it comes back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts