1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 December 2019
  • long read - kinda

So...
    Recently I came over to the dark side from my previous 2015 Golf R with a APR Stage 1 and TCU tune.

I now have a 2012 Touareg 3.0L TDI. It is a reconditioned buy back that I got last weekend from a VW dealer, not CPO. 29 November 2019.

It has 80k, which leaves me with the 10 year / 120k mile emissions warranty for a good bit.

I live in Florida, where we don't have State emissions testing.

I've pondered the idea of a piggy back tune (RaceChip / VR Tuning Box). The TDI community seems to say stay away, but the BMW and VW MQB communities will do similar BurgerMotorposrt JB4 all day.

I'm also looking at Kerma, but if I do the emissions delete, then it is almost wasted because the vehicle might go into limp mode plus check engine light issues. No emissions delete coding for their tunes 🤷‍♂️

Then there is delete kits from Rawtek + Molone tune. The Rawtek configuration is the most expensive, bar far.

I read that the emissions delete is easier on the engine components therefore increased reliability and fuel economy. Then there's the leave it alone option ride out the emissions warranty for the parts that will most likely fail, which all end up getting deleted anyway, because the parts that will most likely fail are all emission parts.

Update: *
    • Because of the warranty, Is why I am looking at piggy back tunes. Non-detectable to the dealer according to the MQB community

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2014 TDI with less than 70K on the odo ... I had the APR tune on my first Treg (pre fix) and it was very nice, didn't have anything to compare it to though. I have a Kerma tune on my 2015 Sportwagen and like it very much as well but you are right, no options for delete with their tune. I now have the Malone+Rawtek tune on my 2014 and do like it also! I bought my stuff all on a Black Friday deal so it was quite a bit cheaper but still relatively expensive. If you do the delete, expect some black smoke for sure though!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Looks like a great subject to search for. This has been discussed many times. Start reading others comments and suggestions in here if you haven't already:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did the malone / rawtek stage 2 setup. Pretty straight forward. 2 hours on a lift. Smokes like an old cummins truck lol. love it! the power is amazing. A few hiccups with low speed. but im guessing the ecu will figure it out. Just installed today. No check engine lights.

·
Registered
245 Posts
5 December 2019
  • long read - kinda

So...
    Recently I came over to the dark side from my previous 2015 Golf R with a APR Stage 1 and TCU tune.

I now have a 2012 Touareg 3.0L TDI. It is a reconditioned buy back that I got last weekend from a VW dealer, not CPO. 29 November 2019.

It has 80k, which leaves me with the 10 year / 120k mile emissions warranty for a good bit.

I live in Florida, where we don't have State emissions testing.

I've pondered the idea of a piggy back tune (RaceChip / VR Tuning Box). The TDI community seems to say stay away, but the BMW and VW MQB communities will do similar BurgerMotorposrt JB4 all day.

I'm also looking at Kerma, but if I do the emissions delete, then it is almost wasted because the vehicle might go into limp mode plus check engine light issues. No emissions delete coding for their tunes

Then there is delete kits from Rawtek + Molone tune. The Rawtek configuration is the most expensive, bar far.

I read that the emissions delete is easier on the engine components therefore increased reliability and fuel economy. Then there's the leave it alone option ride out the emissions warranty for the parts that will most likely fail, which all end up getting deleted anyway, because the parts that will most likely fail are all emission parts.

Update: *
    • Because of the warranty, Is why I am looking at piggy back tunes. Non-detectable to the dealer according to the MQB community
Where in FL are you located? I have a Malone Stage 2 with the DPF system and I live in Miami. Here’s my Dyno sheet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where in FL are you located? I have a Malone Stage 2 with the DPF system and I live in Miami. Here’s my Dyno sheet.

I'm located in Orlando. I'd like to keep the current extended emissions warranty intact, which is why I have mention the chips RaceChip and VRTuning. I still have about 40,000 miles before it's expired.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I did the malone / rawtek stage 2 setup. Pretty straight forward. 2 hours on a lift. Smokes like an old cummins truck lol. love it! the power is amazing. A few hiccups with low speed. but im guessing the ecu will figure it out. Just installed today. No check engine lights.
It shouldn't be smoking that much. I'm guessing your intake manifold need a good cleaning.
How many miles are on it?

·
Registered
233 Posts
A common rail TDI should NOT be smoking anything like a cummins, there is something wrong here.

Also, the emissions warranty on the TDI is a full powertrain warranty.. its a pretty big deal.

The JB boxes are a good setup especially from Burger but I wouldn't trust any of the tuning box options available for the 3.0 TDI to be honest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts