Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fogs on my T2 are pretty much useless. I was thinking of putting in a 3000K HID kit, but with regular reflectors, the light output may not be any better. 3000K HIDs in my wife's Golf with projector fogs are incredible!

So does anyone know if there is an aftermarket projector fog retrofit available for the T2?

·
Registered
147 Posts
One thing to consider if yours has the body style kit lot the limited lux and R50 is that it uses a different housing than the standard Touareg my limited has a more round fog with a 9006 bulb while her 09 uses a H11 and is a little more oval shaped.

·
Registered
737 Posts
On my A6 avant, I swapped out the stock Audi fogs for Hella Micro DE (halogen) lamps. Pretty substantial improvement.

With regard to running HIDs as fogs, I'd suggest that you review the following:

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Here's a brief quote:

The problem is that not only is foreground lighting of decidedly secondary importance when travelling much above 30 mph, but having a very strong pool of light close to the car causes your pupils to close down, worsening your distance vision...all the while giving you this false sense of security.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing to consider if yours has the body style kit lot the limited lux and R50 is that it uses a different housing than the standard Touareg my limited has a more round fog with a 9006 bulb while her 09 uses a H11 and is a little more oval shaped.
I have the body style kit and therefore the H11 lights.

On my A6 avant, I swapped out the stock Audi fogs for Hella Micro DE (halogen) lamps. Pretty substantial improvement.

With regard to running HIDs as fogs, I'd suggest that you review the following:

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Here's a brief quote:

The problem is that not only is foreground lighting of decidedly secondary importance when travelling much above 30 mph, but having a very strong pool of light close to the car causes your pupils to close down, worsening your distance vision...all the while giving you this false sense of security.
I've been visiting Daniel Stern's site for years - great info. I only use the fogs in fog (duh), and in whiteout snow conditions. With projectors and yellow bulbs, I find they work amazing, even with tons of foreground light. It's the razor sharp cutoff that helps the most.

Reactions: alfissimo

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The body kit used 9006 one mine. So just check before ordering.
Crap, I ordered some H11 Nokya Hyper Yellow bulbs. I was going to put them in when I switch to summer tires this weekend. I didn't find anything to say the fogs may be 9006 bulbs!

In fact, every chart I've found says H11 for 2004-2010 Touaregs.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would have checked the actual bulb, but I have to remove the wheel well liner to get to it. I was planning on doing this on tire changeover.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The fogs on my T2 are pretty much useless. I was thinking of putting in a 3000K HID kit, but with regular reflectors, the light output may not be any better. 3000K HIDs in my wife's Golf with projector fogs are incredible!

So does anyone know if there is an aftermarket projector fog retrofit available for the T2?
Fogs are useless period, they should only be used in fog or bad weather only, they only illuminate the very front of the car and wide out to the sides. That's their function. They are not designed to produce lots of light way out in front. They compliment the main beams during bad weather, that's it. Spending money for something is is also going to be useless and driving with fogs on during normal weather causes glare to oncoming traffic. HID is not to be used in fog lamps either. That is only a main beam lighting source. Keep reading DS site. He is a friend and he knows his stuff. Don't bother with this...really!

Adding anything more to what you have for a fog is defeating the purpose. Replace the HID capsule in your main beam or if Halogen replace the bulb for a better one. That is all you can do. Fog lamps are not designed to give you much light, adding a HID to fog seems like it is amazing but it's not. It's just illuminating the very front of the vehicle which your eye thinks is amazing but in all reality your creating less visibility for yourself by closing your pupil more due to the extra light right in front. This will cause you to see less at night and end up possibly getting yourself or someone else hurt. Just let it go and replace the main beam bulbs with new. That will produce more than this. Also the yellow coating bulbs have no significant improvement in vision according to DS. Use them if you light but when they fail, replace with OEM clear lens bulbs.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I beg to differ. Proper projector fogs do work very well in fog and heavy snowfall - especially with yellow bulbs. I never, ever turn on my fog lights during anything other than foggy or near whiteout snow conditions - where it is difficult to see the lines between lanes. I'm not one of the thousands driving the road with fogs on all the time.

3000K HID bulbs behind good projectors work very well in my experience. Turn them on and I can see the lane markings. However, when I turn on the fogs on my Touareg, I can barely even tell that they are on. Totally useless.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You can disagree all day long but you're lacking in your information and your disagreement and use of HID in fog lamps shows this. What I am saying is it is useless to bother upgrading them for the few times you may use them. Ask DS about yellow bulbs if you choose. I have had this conversation with him, they are useless. They may look pretty but do little and in-fact reduce lumens by up to 20% due to the coating. You're wrong on using HID for fogs. You need to read more on his site.

From Sterns Site:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

"So, what is a good fog lamp? A good fog lamp produces a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp horizontal cutoff (dark above, bright below) at the top of the beam, and minimal upward light above the cutoff. Almost all factory-installed or dealer-optional fog lamps, and a great many aftermarket units, are essentially useless for any purpose, especially for extremely demanding poor-weather driving. Many of them are too small to produce enough light to make a difference, produce beam patterns too narrow to help, lack a sufficiently-sharp cutoff, and throw too much glare light into the eyes of other drivers, no matter how they're aimed.

Good (and legal) fog lamps may produce white or Selective Yellow light—it is the beam pattern, not the light colour, that defines a fog lamp—and most of them use tungsten-halogen bulbs though there are some legitimate (and a lot of illegitimate) LED fog lamps beginning to appear. Xenon or HID bulbs are inherently unsuitable for use in fog lamps, and blue or other-colored lights are also the wrong choice."

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with alfissimo, besides there is no "fog light demanding poor weather". If there is a situation you HAVE to use fog light to drive, I would suggest to pull over and wait. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts