Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear everyone:
This is Allen from Shop In-dash Navigation & Car Electronics Online, I am glad to introduce our latest product for 2011+ Touareg:
VW Touareg Car DVD GPS Navi Roadrover I8041VT

Model Number: I8041VT
Brand: Road Rover
Fitness: 2011+ VW Touareg
Replace: RCD550, RNS850
Features: 3D Navigation/DVD/SD/USB/Bluetooth/iPod/Radio(RDS)/Dual Zone/Digital TV(optional)/Backup camera(optional)/AUX/3G network

Why should I replace the original unit by this item?

If the existing radio system on your vehicle is RCD550, it does not come with navigation function. If you install this unit, you will get extra navigation/DVD/iPod function. The output from this unit is 4*52W, but it is only 4*22W from RCD 550 system.
If the existing radio system on your vehicle is RNS850, you may need to spend US$200 on the navi disc from VW every year. Once you install our unit, you can get free maps update once half a year. And the navigation software support 3D image.

Contact us at [email protected] to get more details.

Head unit:

Back of the unit, the same plug as original harness, totally plug and play.

Accessories: microphone, video cables, audio cables etc.

Installation effect:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Not bad for someone who doesn't have one from the factory and $699.00 sounds reasonable too. However I am an OEM type of guy :)

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SD card slot

Where is the SD card slot for your music located? Price?
There is a SD card slot ready for navigation software and multi-media files on the top right corner.
You can load navigation software, music, videos and photos on this SD card.
The maps card slot and multi-media SD card slot are integrated together.
The price is US$699 include shipping cost to most of countries.
Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions!

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installation Manual

Do not have installation manual right now. Our unit has the same plug as original head unit, the The difficulty is how to remove the original head unit from your vehicle.
Do you have installation instruction that I can read to see if I can install this successfully in my 2013 Touareg Sport?

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steering wheel control

Yes, the unit come with CANBUS decoder ready for original steering wheel control.
do the steering wheel control buttons on a 2012 work on your unit?

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
Allen, what would be needed to add a back up camera to this package, parts wise? Looks a bit labor intensive ripping all the panels out to run the cable harnesses... Vw is notorious for that kind of plastic breaking the tabs off, upon removal.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can add a wireless backup camera to this package. No need to put video cables through your vehicle.
The wireless camera has two parts, a camera with transmitter and a receiver.
At worst, you can take it to VW dealer to have it professionally installed.
The warranty will not be void if it is installed by VW technician.
Allen, what would be needed to add a back up camera to this package, parts wise? Looks a bit labor intensive ripping all the panels out to run the cable harnesses... Vw is notorious for that kind of plastic breaking the tabs off, upon removal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Allen Wong. Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I joined the forum as I recently purchased a 2014 TDI, with the standard non-navigation RCD-550 unit. It also has factory rear view camera and bluetooth. I was interested in upgrading to the larger RNS-850 with navigation, but it's very cost prohibitive and involved... So I've checkout out some of the aftermarket units available.

I see you offer this one Aftermarket Navigation Head Unit For VW Touareg 2011-2014, but I also have noticed you referencing another supplier, AudioSources.net. I came across their unit and it looks to be a better clone of the RNS-850... Volkswagen Touareg WITH GPS, BT. DVBT, View Volkswagen Touareg GPS, Audiosources Product Details from Shenzhen Audiosources Car Electronics Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

Are you able to source it, and if so, is it a plug and play replacement for the RCD-550?

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@7crwolf, I am getting in touch with Audiosources now.
Actually, the product on our website is a Roadrover head unit. A brand product. We sold a lot and quality is good.
The Audiosources product came on the market one month ago. We know it, but did not sell it since we do not know the quality.
Do you have an email we can contact? PM me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Allen. I like the look of the Audiosources one. It looks more like the factory RNS-850. The quality and finish appears pretty good from the pictures, and the knobs are in teh same place and appear to be a good copy of the original. I would be interested to see if it can replace the RCD-550 and also if it integrates with factory systems (reverse camera, sensors, and bluetooth). It looks like it has similar functionality to the one you are selling now. Car dvd /Car gps/VW GPS/BMW GPS Professional manufacturer-Audiosources Electronic Technology (Shenzhen) Limited

One thing I did notice is that in some picutres they have the "MENU" button spelled wrong, as in the above link... But in other pictures, the layout is different and the MENU button isn't present at all. I believe they would have fixed that by now. Anyway, I hate to be the first to try it, but I'm interested.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
See the answers we just got from Audiosources:
Support original camera(but need an extra RGB video decoder)
Not support original bluetooth module since it will be invalid after remove the RCD 550. But new head unit has build-in bluetooth module.
Support original wheel steel control
Support OEM Fakra GPS and Radio Connection
Support OEM Plug-and-Play installation, no adaptors required
Support for trip computer with two-way communication
Support car ddor status display
Support OEM air-condisplay
Support for OEM 360 degre OPS (up to 12 sensors) and IPAS display
Support reading/clearing of DTCs, real time display of OBD information including throttle, intake temperature and ect
Support Trip Recorder, control of connected trip recorder on the unitis screen, including live recording and playback

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, that was quick!

OK, so does it use it's own microphone for bluetooth, or does it pick up the car's OEM built in microphone, which I believe is in the upper headliner near the sunroof controls?

Other than that, it seems as if it has similar functionality to the RoadRover unit. Alright give me the sales pitch, is there anything that the RoadRover unit offers that this unit does not, at least according to the specs and the system integration described above?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Use the head unit's built mic. Does not support OEM build in mic.
The differences I can see now are:
1. CPU and RAM: Roadrover equips with 600MHZ CPU, 265MB RAM.
Audiosource equips with 1.2GHZ and 512MB ram.
2. UI: Roadrover only support ordinary VW red, blue and green UI
Audiosource support black UI like OEM.
3. Original camera: Audiosource support original camera, but need an extra RGB decoder.
I suppose Roadrover also support original camera, but they do not provide the RGB decoder.
4. We trust Roadrover's quality ranther than Audiosource(a small brand).

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's a shame that none of the aftermarket units use the factory microphone.

Looks to me like the AudioSources unit is an upgrade compared to the RoadRover, with higher specs, and more OEM appearance... I'm very interested in this one.

Anyway, I'm not interested in being the guinea pig here who tests out the quality of this one first... Maybe someone braver than me will go for it.

I don't actually take delivery of my 2014 150TDI until August, but this is one modification I'm looking to do early on. Maybe someone will test this new aftermarket RNS-850 clone out in the meantime! Thanks for your info Allen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts