Club Touareg Forum banner

Aftermarket NAV

9K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  exrrover 
#1 ·
I didn't choose the NAV option with my TReg. I am now getting more and more interested in adding Navigation.

Any of you have experience with aftermarket nav systems? Which ones are good? Which ones are bad?

Where would I mount the cd/dvd system for it? I was thinking of possibly mounting this under the passenger seat where the storage bin is now...

Thoughts/Comments/Gripes/Hatemail welcome! :hug:

#4 ·
Ahhhh its my turn to finally try to help YOU..
I did a fair amount of research a couple of year ago when i was looking to buy a nav unit for my Volvo. I didn’t want a "hack" job and was really skeptical about units fitting into my dash.. What I thought was the best value at the time was the Magellan NAV750 ( and maybe still is for me). The reasons i like it is that are its really easy to install, in fact they have a "non intrusive" approach to the install ... no splicing wires.. goes directly into fuse box. as far as mounting.. the first aid compartment would be a great fit ( The CPU portion is a little smaller than a laptop)and the display is easy too... although the manual says to use a cel phone mount, i chose to use heave duty velcro, the kind they use for ez-pass ( i know what your thinking, but it looks great, and removes in seconds to avoid attention from thieves, and again, no intrusive drilling).
The tech side of the unit is that all regions are stored on a hard disk. no CD's, pop's are plentiful and its extremely accurate. you can store locations, use trip computers, and even has full address, phone numbers of all your favorite places. I know they were going to have an option where you can hook up your pc to the unit and download your own addresses, etc.. but haven’t checked with them in a while.
Bottom line, I have mine for 4 years now and STILL love it ( hate to admit it, but better and easier to use than the VW’s and MERC factory nav units, by far)

Again this was 4 years ago, iam sure the competition is much better these days.
But that’s my .02
http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=915
Rob

#5 ·
Nav

Around the 1st of march a new touch screen will be out in a double din style and i am getting this put into my vehicle when they get it.It is on order right now.I am getting the Kenwood excelon DDX7015.You can pretty much do a lot of things with this one.When they put it in i will post it for everyone who is deciding on the aftermarket products.This is the reason i am wanting this because of the navigation and DVD for the Lil' one.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qdXCQFFaIHL/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?s=0&cc=01&i=113DDX7015&g=129100

#7 ·
Consider a Garmin 2610

I use a Garmin 2610 and move it between two cars -- also take it when I rent a car while traveling. It's easy to program, great displays, etc. I have the entire US (except for a small portion of Montana & North Dakota) stored on an IBM MicroDrive which works well in the Garmin. I know it's an "add on", not built in, but in my opinion its advantages far outweigh the negatives. I even use it in my Audi S4 which HAS the built-in Audi NAV.

#8 ·
Re: Nav

Devoman said:
Around the 1st of march a new touch screen will be out in a double din style and i am getting this put into my vehicle when they get it.It is on order right now.I am getting the Kenwood excelon DDX7015.You can pretty much do a lot of things with this one.When they put it in i will post it for everyone who is deciding on the aftermarket products.This is the reason i am wanting this because of the navigation and DVD for the Lil' one.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qdXCQFFaIHL/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?s=0&cc=01&i=113DDX7015&g=129100

Did you ever get this installed? If so, how do you like it's functionality? Does it look "natural" in the Touareg dash?

#9 ·
Re: Nav

Devoman said:

Did you ever get this installed? If so, how do you like it's functionality? Does it look "natural" in the Touareg dash?

#12 ·
I'm a pilot, and have used just about every type of portable GPS out there. For the money, ease of use, and portability, I use a Garmin GPS 5. You can program it up with whatever detailed maps you need for a trip, plus your route and points of interest, get in the car and go. Garmin makes a nice bean bag vehicle mount, and power adaptors. Yes...I have Nav on my TReg, but the Garmin is by far more user friendly and the maps are more detailed. CEP is better on the Garmin than the Treg Nav also.

#14 ·
Yes, yes it is. Also the accuracy of the GPS fix. The more sats being received increases the CEP of the fix. It used to be limited, before the governement stopped encrypting the high side of the GPS sats. Usually measured in meters. 18 years of military service is good for some useless information, 16 as a helicopter pilot.

#15 ·
Street Pilot by Garmin

The posts on this topic are very interesting as I am in the process of purchasing a T-Reg and have the Street Pilot III connected to a Kenwood 700 HAM radio that puts my postion to other running APRS and those that want to track me via the Internet.

The Garmin 2610 does not have a way to output information which the Street Pilot does.

I would have to install the HAM radio somewhere (?) and the radio face which is detached from the radio itself. There there is the matter of mounting the mic and antenna.

Since I have not purchased the T-Reg yet, is the NAV system worth it or would using the Street Pilot work better. The memory card in the Street Pilot lets you store very large areas and it is not a problem to download the maps.

Thank you for your assistance.

Tom.....

#17 ·
I strongly advise a good Garmin (not familliar with Magellan and they may be just fine). For a couple of hundred dollars you can have state-of-the-art, up to the minute highway information. The unit can be moved from car to car, taken in the house to be programed in advance, AND REMOVED FROM VIEW WHEN NOT IN USE. The unit can be mounted on the windshield for a convenient heads-up type display. You don't have to take your eyes off of the road to consult the nav screen. Of course, if it's important to you to have a technical looking dashboard, even if the location is impractical, then go ahead and spend your money. LOTS of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.