Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the second time I have to replace my brakes on my Treg. I have 100k miles on it. First time I got them replaced was at 65k miles. The last couple of years I have been towing quite a bit so this last set of pads last me 35k miles. I was looking through my old paperwork of the parts installed in my car. My 2007 v8 Treg came with 18" wheels, and I upgraded them to 22" rims. They installed a set for 17" rims according to the part numbers listed in my receipt. I have seen some Brembo kits that "apply" to all Treg models as 18" rims. Is 18" the biggest I can go for a Treg brake kit? Is there a big difference in ordering parts from 17" to 18" brakes? I just wanna order the right parts. I don't wanna get a brake kits and/or parts for 18" when all I can put is 17". I would like to put something better than factory on this brake replacement. Any brands recommendations? Please advise

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can I upgrade from 17" rotors to 18" rotors with no issues? I guess that's the real question. Can anyone answer that? Rotors, pads and sensors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about calipers? How many pistons does a oem caliper have? If I upgrade the rotor, i have to upgrade the caliper as well to take 350mm rotor. And how many pistons does a factory caliper have? Can't get the pads unless you know that. Haha. Ge'ez I'm about to go pay $1,400 again and call it quits.

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
Yiou do not have 17 inch rotors on your touareg but a little over 13 inch(or 330 mm. Lots of advertisers have this wrong on their site.
You can upgrade to a 350 mm which is close to 14 inch, but you will have to replace the calipers too and those are expensive babies. I do not think you will notice any difference in braking unless you hit the track every day.

Do yourself a favor and purchase a set of hawk pads and coated zimmerman brakes. Install yourself or have them installed. They are awesome and last a lot longer than OEM. I had 110k miles on the rears and they were not even half way gone.

DO NOT BUY THE CHINESE MADE CRAP. The saving are not worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I think that's what I'm gonna end up doing. I heard about hawk before. I'm actually looking at ebc rotors the usr series. I have original factory calipers which without taking them apart I can't tell how many pistons they are. Do you know? Pads I was thinking about the wagner. I get a discount on oreilly's carried parts. Would like to purchase through them if possibly.

I do quite a bit of towing. So I def want an upgrade on brakes, but not as serious as going to the track. Lol

·
Registered
338 Posts
5000lb of SUV going around a racetrack? Possible yes, but probably not advisable. That would get expensive on brakes, tires, and suspension to say nothing of the repair cost if you crash. Buy a cheap used MX-5. You could drive or and tow it to the track. More fun, and less expense in the end. You could even go the cheaper route and tow your motorcycle to the track like me, but dragging a knee on the pavement at 100 mph isn't for everyone. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm running slotted rotors from brakeperformance.com.

You can't simply upgrade your rotor diameter without fabricating a larger caliper bracket, or upgrading to a bigger BBK.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Or you could upgrade to the larger R50/Cayenne S rotors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts