Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought a 2007 V6 (gas) and spent quite some time already on clubtouareg.com. Great forum!!!

The car will be used both as a family car and to go off road 10/12 times per year, from not medium rock crawling to higher speed desert run.

Although 265/70r17 and “Alex’s” lift kit would look great, it may be too much for the everyday rides, specially since it’s a V6.

I am considering running 265/65r17 Terra Grappler G2 with an aftermarket air lift kit:
Trust The Air Suspension Ride Pros; Find Exclusive Deals on Hot Rod Suspension, Lift Kits, Lowering Kits, Lambo Doors, air springs, air bags, Billet Wheel Adapters, Towing Kits, Air Shocks, Air suspension Lift Kits

Do you have any experience with aftermarket air lift kit? Are they good off road?

Thanks,
Jerome

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
For all the hassle of installation, you might be money and frustration ahead by buying one with factory air suspension. That way, any VW mechanic can work on it, too. Some shops may not be familiar with an aftermarket system and now they're learning all about it on YOUR dime!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For all the hassle of installation, you might be money and frustration ahead by buying one with factory air suspension. That way, any VW mechanic can work on it, too. Some shops may not be familiar with an aftermarket system and now they're learning all about it on YOUR dime!
Factory air suspension designed and tested by VW engineers are likely better, but I've read they are quite pricey to fix in case of and issue on an older car, $1,500-$2,000 per suspension. I don't know if that's true or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW that's expensive at ~300 per 12mm of lift! Aren't they just fitted aluminum rings?
I agree! But there are not many options out there for Touaregs.

I don't know if Alex Gee is still selling them but I found a kit very similar on eBay from Romania: 4.5mm $400

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
<----- That's me

:)

I was going to post the other day, but more in response to the link that was posted about a Mesa, Az shop and their parts.

I'm in the Phoenix area, myself. I've never heard of that shop, with respect to air setups. From a couple quick glances on their site, they look like they are more of a "slam your truck" kinda place.

There is another shop called Exklusiv Motorsports in the local area that does a lot of VW work. They have parterned with/share shop space with Grunion Fabrication, which does a TON of air suspension work.

When I was needing some parts for my setup, I went there to pick them up. I'd probably try contacting them for some suggestions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This Touareg project was left on the side for some time, but I'm reviving this old thread for futur reference. Here is another aftermarket air lift kit:

x2industries.com/volkswagen-2004-2007-volkswagen-touareg-complete-air-suspension-kit-p-5874.html

I won't go that route though. I'll PM Alex Gee to see if he still willing to do his spacers.

For tires I'll probably go an unusual size. I don't want them to be too heavy because it's a V6. 255/70R17, they are lighter and half inch taller that the 265/65R17. I'll update the 'VW Touareg T1 & T2 - Maximum Tyre Sizes' spreadsheet once tested.

·
Registered
121 Posts
As far as we know Alex is done with the Touareg stuff. I know a few people have tried to get ahold of him including myself. I decided to take matters into my own hands and make my own. I've had my kit installed for a year now and I love it. Gave me a 50mm lift front and rear. I just finished up making a set for another member on here. If you're interested PM me.

And here's a shot a couple weeks ago with them installed (and me bringing home my new project)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MmmBoost, I am interested but I can't PM you anymore... I am blocked because I don't have 15 posts yet! Can you PM me your email address so we can continue the conversation? Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, the same deal with me, I don't have 15 posts yet but I am very interested in a lift kit. Can you PM me your email, please?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts