Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new set of tires put on my 2010 Touareg. When I got in it to drive it home at the tire shop I noticed that the TPMS light was on, so I switched over to the TPMS screen. The front tires were showing the correct pressure, but the rear tires both had the little warning triangle next to them.

I went back inside and told the guy from the tire shop, and he told me to pull around and they would reset them again. So a guy comes out and walks around to each tire with a little hand held device, and then told me that they are all reset. I hop in, and notice that the back ones are still not working. I tell the guy......he says something to another guy, and then he says "you just have to drive it and they will reset and start working"....:rolleyes:

So I drive the 20 miles home....and they are still not working. I did a little research on the site and it looks some people are able to "re-learn" the sensors by letting the air out of the tires down to 20psi while the car is running, and then running the pressure back up. Tried that....but they still aren't working.

Any other ideas??

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
This will continue to.m be an issue if it's after market tpms sensors. I enabled the activate deactivate menu in dash on my 2008 and sometimes turn it off then back in. Just is iffy if u didn't buy OEM ones.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This will continue to.m be an issue if it's after market tpms sensors. I enabled the activate deactivate menu in dash on my 2008 and sometimes turn it off then back in. Just is iffy if u didn't buy OEM ones.
They didn't replace the TPMS sensors....they just reused the OEM ones.

·
Registered
734 Posts
They didn't replace the TPMS sensors....they just reused the OEM ones.
My aftermarket ones took about 3 months to start playing nice. Just in time to put the summer tires with OEM sensors back on.

:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They didnt put in new tpms sensors.....they are the same sensors that were in it yesterday when they all worked. Is there a chance that the tire place messed up the sensors somehow?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They have a nominal battery life of 5 years - so maybe you needed new sensors?
I think it would be a million to one chance that the batteries in two sensors both died at the exact same time during the 2 hours it took the tire shop to mount and balance 4 tires and do an aliment.

How long does it take the sensors to relearn ? Is there a chance they might start working after a few days?

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
989 Posts
When I fitted winter tyres to my Touareg, I omitted to use TPMS sensors initially - I got a set from ebay and had my tyre fitter mount them - they'd registered in well under a mile - similarly, when I changed back to summers a week ago those had registered in well under a mile.

But these are the current type, I think it changed from the '14 model, with receivers in each arch so the allocation of sensor to corner is automatic

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If they would have pulled all of the wheels off to put the new tires on, and happened to get the front left and right ones back on the side side they came off of.....but maybe switched the two back wheels? Would that freak the TPMS out for a while until it relearns the rear tires? Not sure if this is the situation...just looking for answers.

Everything was working just fine....then I get all new tires, and now the rear TPMS sensors are both giving me low pressure errors. Both tires are at the pressure that is listed on the door panel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it's been a few days....and over 100 miles....and the two rear TPMS sensors are still showing the little triangle warning symbols and I'm getting a "low tire pressure" message on the display.

I've tried running the pressure down low to 20psi, and then pumping them back up...nothing.

It's going back to the tire shop this morning.....hopefully they can use their TPMS tool to scan and reset the rear sensors......if that doesn't work, I'm going to be upset. :mad:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
******UPDATE******

So I took my Touareg back to the tire shop. Using their TPMS tool, they scanned and checked the sensor in each tire. They said that they were all working, and the batteries were good in all of them. They could read the pressure of each tire with their hand held scanner......but the Touareg was still displaying the warning triangle on the rear tires, and saying "low pressure".

So when I got home, I decided to try the "deflate the tires, and re-inflate" procedure to see if that would make the computer recognize them. So when the car was off....I let the air out of all of the tires, down to around 15psi.....then I re-inflated them all to the oem spec.

Now I'm getting the warning triangle on ALL of the tires! What the heck is it with this goofy TPMS system? Hopefully they will start working as time passes.....I'm at a loss as far as what else I can do.

·
Registered
734 Posts
******UPDATE******

So I took my Touareg back to the tire shop. Using their TPMS tool, they scanned and checked the sensor in each tire. They said that they were all working, and the batteries were good in all of them. They could read the pressure of each tire with their hand held scanner......but the Touareg was still displaying the warning triangle on the rear tires, and saying "low pressure".

So when I got home, I decided to try the "deflate the tires, and re-inflate" procedure to see if that would make the computer recognize them. So when the car was off....I let the air out of all of the tires, down to around 15psi.....then I re-inflated them all to the oem spec.

Now I'm getting the warning triangle on ALL of the tires! What the heck is it with this goofy TPMS system? Hopefully they will start working as time passes.....I'm at a loss as far as what else I can do.
I think you said you did this before...but it's time to take the truck out for another 15-30 minute drive. The system is kinda wacky...I still haven't figured out what causes these sensors to sync. It took 3 months for my aftermarket sensors to finally all sync...2 or 3 would be good for a while and then things would move around. Very weird.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah...the system is definitely strange. Everyone I talk to, and every post I read on the TPMS seems to have a different "correct" way to resync the sensors and get them working again. I'll just give it time and see what happens.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
****UPDATE****

Well, I fixed it. It's been about a month...and none of the tire pressure sensors has started working...even after several hundred miles. I checked the pressure again and the fronts were right at 39, and the rears at 46...just like it says on the door panel. So I thought I would try one more thing. While the car was running, I ran the front tires up to around 50psi....BAM!!....the sensors started reading again! I did the same thing to the rears, and then they started working again! I lowered them all back down to the oem numbers again, and all it good. Very strange....I guess they need to be over pressurized before they start reading again?

Thanks for the help guys, glad I got this problem figured out!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Your sensors obviously belong to the TPMS Union - one out, all out . . . until they get a raise!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts