Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading all of the negative posts and problems people are having with their T-Regs, this forum has served me well. I won't be purchasing a T-Reg and all the headaches that apparently go with it. Thanks.

· Registered
48 Posts
While there are a lot of problems, most owners do not have all, or even most of them. Also, you will note that except for a couple of noteworthy ongoing problems (e.g. CD players), most of the threads eventually die out, which frequently means that the problems have been fixed but nobody takes the time to post the positive. There may be a comparably performing SUV out there that always comes with a 0 punchlist, but I doubt out it. Perfection is simply not the natural human condition! When you do buy that flawless vehicle, however, please come back and post see we all know what it is.

· Registered
36 Posts
You must know that the Touareg is a first year production car. And these kind of cars are typically plagued with small glitches. I suggest to wait for the 2005 model and see what happens.

· Registered
2016 Touareg V6/Lux — 2006 Touareg V6 — 2013 Audi allroad
3,305 Posts
You're a chicken!!!

I have 7k miles on my TOUAREG, and yes I've had a few small glitches, but I was expecting that.

Overall, I can't tell you how much I love my TOUAREG, and while there were some early frustrations...... I LOVE THIS THING!!!!! :dance:

· Registered
13 Posts
Our "T" now has over 14,000 miles and will be getting it's 15,000 mile check soon. It has been virtually trouble free. The only complaint I have is the lack of clarity in the owners manual which has been solved by accessing the information provided by this and other Touareg sites. It drives and rides exceptionally well; I am looking forward to some off road driving.

· Registered
21 Posts
Also remember one thing. Alot of people come to forums to complain or find anwers to problems. So on a forum for any product you will get 2 kinds of people. Lovers and haters. Lovers are here since they love talking about the product they like, haters like to complain. Most likely the guy that complains the most also is part of other forums and complains alot on them. Just like most of life there are some people you cant make happy. Alot of people are having problems yes but remember you always here bad news seldom hear good news. I have 8k on mine Only problem so far is the door handle sticking which ill get fixed on my 10k tuneup

· Registered
1,556 Posts
Interesting how MGTD only sees the bad.

Search on "love" and see just how most people really feel about their Touareg!

There's no headache that just driving in my T-Reg can't cure!

· Registered
22 Posts
No joke, but I'm stuck with the one where I got it. There is literally only one other VW dealership in the state and it's about 2.5 hours away!

They have a corner on the market here and they know it. Puts the consumer in a bad position. These people own a dealership for every type of auto made: Ford, Toyota, VW, Mazda, Nissan.....the list is endless. It's a big monopoly and I don't think they should be allowed to do it, but no one has tried to stop them. :chainsaw:

· Registered
112 Posts
MGTD said:
After reading all of the negative posts and problems people are having with their T-Regs, this forum has served me well. I won't be purchasing a T-Reg and all the headaches that apparently go with it. Thanks.
Sounds to me like you were looking for an excuse not to or you're just a troll on a fishing expedition...

As others have said, the negative posts aren't an accurate representation of this vehicle. Please refer me to an automotive forum that isn't biased in this way. I haven't seen one yet.

:joy:

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
pissy said:
No joke, but I'm stuck with the one where I got it. There is literally only one other VW dealership in the state and it's about 2.5 hours away!

They have a corner on the market here and they know it. Puts the consumer in a bad position. These people own a dealership for every type of auto made: Ford, Toyota, VW, Mazda, Nissan.....the list is endless. It's a big monopoly and I don't think they should be allowed to do it, but no one has tried to stop them. :chainsaw:
That's too bad. I have nearly 50 VW dealers within a 100 mile radius from where I live. But there are only 3 Infiniti dealers in the state and the two closest are owned by the same group. This is one reason I didn't buy an FX.

· Registered
32 Posts
I have not posted here in a long time or on the vortex forum because of the response that is the most prevalent. we are, we being those of us that have had problems with the car and vw, are not haters or complainers. we are the unfortunate owners of cars that vw and the happy owners would rather squelch than hear all the heartache and grief we are suffering with. more vw than happy owners in that respect.

I am glad that there are happy touareg owners.
of course those that are happy have nothing to say but good things about both the car and their service experiences. but I and all the others that have had problems have found out, the hard way, how inept vw (both vwoa and the dealers) are when it comes to vehicle or customer service.

I have been suffering through this since 12/31/03 when my then less than a month old touareg stranded me. now it is in the hands of my attorney since vw has handled this so miserably. we are still in the long legal process of making them do the right thing. I can't go into much now but as soon as this is over my experience with vw will go public. I can't even begin to explain some of the BS they have tried to feed both my attorney and me.

my point here is that vw and their representatives are treating people that do have problems with this car miserably. there are very few that have had serious issues that are lucky enough to have a dealer/service department that is capable, caring and most importantly competent. we, those that are suffering through this, come here looking for help and information to resolve issues that the vw community seems to be better at finding than vw. not just to complain about vw.

I have not posted because I have no good news.
vw has dragged this out and done some absolutely absurd things.
those that have witnessed what I am going through will never buy a vw. I know it has a lot to do with the horrible dealer I ended up buying from but I am stuck there until this all ends.

I really loved this car for the whole 19 days before it broke down and this long, miserable experience started. now, I can't wait for this to end and me to never, ever be a vw owner again. I have never been lied to, treated so poorly and basically screwed by anyone like this before and I never should have.

when this is all over I will definitely name the regional rep and the dealer and the service manager and advisors that have all had a hand in either lying to me or making matters worse. these jokers have even had the gall to lie to my attorney when he has everything that they have said very well documented. I can't wait to see the look on the judge's face when he hears some of the junk they told us. and yes, it will be a judge, no arbitration at this point because of what vw has done. or should I say has not done.

just as example, here are some of the things I have been told. these are just a couple that make me laugh....

key fob issue. service advisor has not heard of any TSB for it and tells me that the antenna is on the right side of the car. that it will work for me as long as I take that into account. basically, he tells me that it works if you are on the right side of the car.

trying to explain to this same service advisor that the TYRES listing is gone, missing from the MFI display. he then tells me that the old stick type tire gauges will not work on this car and that I have to use a digital gauge. I tell him again that the TPMS is not even showing in the MFI. he then asks me if I have a digital tire gauge. :chainsaw: so then I say that I do and it doesn't matter because I have nothing to compare the readings to since the TPMS IS NOT EVEN SHOWN IN THE MFI DISPLAY. the blank look I got said it all. he had no clue. I gave up on that one.

that is just a little, tiny bit of the kind of bs these jokers have thrown at me. I won't mention when they kept my touareg for more than two weeks, put 350 miles on it, fixed nothing (they did fix a couple of things but only the minor stuff and even then halfway if not making something else worse or creating new problems) and returned it with half a tank of gas. when I dropped it off it was full and have the receipt from where I just filled it up. oh I guess I did just mention that didn't I!

I could go on for much, much more.

I have experienced all, I mean all, the minor issues.
most of the major issues and then some.
been jerked around constantly.
my car has been in the shop for 28 days in the 5 months I have owned it.
two of those were two week trips, once I was given a joke as a loaner and the second I was given a passat w8, the latter was definitely deserved and appreciated but was only done because the dealer was told by vwoa to give me a COMPARABLE car. they did not want to do it at all.
the transmission has been replaced, the radio, the mfi, numerous modules and TSBs but still they can't fix it and keep trying to argue with me and now my attorney. I should say lie not argue.
I give them written descriptions and they act like I have never told them of a problem. again, all this is very well documented and tracked by my attorney and me so it will be a good day in court when we get there.
it is very unwanted and unfortunate that this is how vw has treated me and handled this situation.

so, now that I have vented what has been building up in me while reading these posts I will close with this.

I have always stood by my reasons of buying this thing in the first place. I really wanted this car and on paper it looks great. but, I did not buy it to hear about how great it is from those that don't have a lemon while I am suffering through this experience. I still think it is a great car. those that work like they are supposed to. but nobody should be made to suffer through what I have. we all should be happy owners and those that are not should be a HUGE priority of vw but that is not at all how they are handling it. I can't trust this car. I can't rely on it. you should hear the noise it makes as I drive down the road. not that nice throaty sound but a grinding, oscillating sound that just sounds expensive. it sounds like dry bearings rubbing, loudly. the service advisor said all he could hear were the crickets???!!! hey Einstein, that is the car not the crickets. even my mom can hear this sound. and everyone I pass on the road. but vw says it is the crickets. just another absurd statement made by the service advisor at this dealership. is there a cricket cage option I am not aware of for fisherman that own the touareg because if not there sure are a lot of crickets out early in the season down here!!!

I have given up on any abilities that vw has to make its customers happy.
I know they can't fix anything on this car beyond the wood trim or other very minor fixes. if it is mechanical or involved they have not a clue. but they will lie to your face and tell you they do.
and I know I am not being fair. I know there are some very competent capable technicians, advisors and managers out there. just I have yet to meet one. I wish I had at this point and I could post about how they fixed my car quickly and with a competent explanation. but, I have not had that experience with vw and it seems that they are not concerned with reaching that level.

there are some great sites out here with a wealth of info on the touareg and the experiences of the owners. but those of you that are happy can't fathom the horrible, miserable service that most of us that have had major issues have experienced and been subjected to.
and I will say that every time I see someone post about there decision to not buy a touareg due to what they have read I applaud them for making the decision I wish I would have back in december. every person that stops to ask me about the touareg hears a brief part of my story and then they hear the noise it makes and wish me luck as they walk off. most are a bit older than me and have driven BMW, Mercedes and the like and are accustomed to the overwhelmingly better customer service these companies provide. I am not saying they are perfect, these companies, but vw needs to learn a lot about how to treat its customers from those that do know how.

so, to all those out there looking at a Touareg.
if you have the time needed to deal with vw and this car when it breaks down, go for it. or if you are a buddy of someone at the dealership that you trust, and I mean TRUST, and they will take care of you if it breaks down, go for it. and I am not saying that all touaregs have broken down or will but if they do with anything serious then you better be prepared for a long and time consuming endeavor to get it fixed and while you wait you will be treated like $h!t!!!

if you want a car you can depend on and a manufacturer that stands behind their product, go somewhere else. you will not find that here at vw.

if you want to buy a car and your attorney a new car at the same time, by a vw because you are going to be keeping your attorney busy.

again, I am glad that most are happy with their touaregs, just better hope you will be one of those if you buy one of these things. and for 50,000 that should not even be a risk anyone has to consider.

pardon the unbearably long post, I have a lot to say on this and this is just the tip of the iceberg.... which is why I don't post anymore but I just couldn't stand it. Mike wanted to be helpful but the consensus here is that all the happy owners just want everyone to think that we are complainers or haters, those that are having problems. or accuse us of being trolls when posting about our experiences saying we are looking to stir things up. watch though, I will be the one to get flamed for saying how I feel vw and this car is a POS.

so I will do it for you.
do I want some cheese with my whine???
can I hear him playing my heart bleeds??? :-({|=

don't worry, I won't keep bashing your car on this forum.
I will take care of that on my own. I find that I make more people look at different cars to purchase by just taking them for a ride in mine anyway.

now mike, this is not directed at you and you did sincerely offer to write a letter on my behalf when this all began. I disagreed with what could have been interpreted from one of your posts but stated then that I didn't think that was how you intended it. just wanted to be sure that you didn't think I was directing this at you or any single person. I think you have done a great thing with this site and wish I could be one to make posts about my adventures in my touareg or what mods I have made. sadly, I cannot. it has all been miserable.

if anyone read through all this, I will buy you a beer for your time if you are ever in Rock Hill, SC or Charlotte, NC! I am not an angry person just an angry touareg owner......

let the flaming begin.......

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
SC T-reg,
While I didn't read your entire post (attention span too short today), I agree that you shouldn't have to get jerked around like that. But from the sound of it, you got the worst combination; a bad car and a bad dealer. Judging from your location, SC, you may or may not have much choice in dealerships. But if you have other dealer choices, I would strongly suggest you use them if you get another Touareg after you get rid of this one. It takes a change in management for a dealer to change their attitude to customers.
Good luck.

· Registered
32 Posts
I agree completely spock! and I wish that I could get one of your dead pedals but it doesn't look like vw wants to make me a happy owner. and the part that is even sadder is that I have learned that the same jokers own 3 of the nearest vw dealers. all with different names on the door but once you get behind it the primary owner is the same. I understand now why that is. just trying to mask the owner so that people don't know they are going to get the same kind of treatment from all these dealerships. that kind of pathetic, cowardly business sense shows exactly the kind of people I am dealing with here in charlotte at this dealer.

so what I am left with is to go to the other dealership that is owned by the same person and experience how badly they can treat me. no thanks.

if I move to another city by the time this ends I may consider another dealer but for now this is the only face vw has and it is an ugly one. for that matter this will be the only vw I ever own and I can't wait for it to end.

and I really don't expect anyone to read all of my last post. I was shocked when I went back and read it and realized exactly how long it was. still, that is not even the whole story.... I have three pages of just repairs, or should I say what they couldn’t fix, that is not getting any shorter.

if anyone is in or around charlotte,nc be careful what dealer you choose. I would recommend going to another town. warning, same guy owns one in charleston,sc if you are down there.

· Registered
112 Posts
SC,

I agree that you are being treated very poorly and as spock said, got nailed twice (car and dealer). I had a similar experience with DaimlerChrysler, it took approximately 7 months to dance the arbitration dance, twice. The DC zone rep and the dealer were the most vicious, lying pack of bastards I've ever encountered. In the end, the Sales Manager for the dealership, quite plainly stated that he really didn't give a flying **** becuase with their volume, any single customer doesn't mean anything to them.

What I don't understand is how you can resist driving the Touareg (or the loaner) through their front window. I hope it all works out for you. I can sure understand how this would be your last VW.

· Registered
32 Posts
there is actually a pool here in the office for the day that I am finally going to snap and drive through the front door of the dealer! of course this is all in good fun but if it does happen there are a couple here that stand to make a buck or two. :evil_laugh:

it is a daily joke around here to say that they didn't see me on the news last night sitting on top of my touareg parked on top of a beetle in the dealer's lot!!!

and other than that everyone I work with is absolutely amazed that I have been so patient for so long and even more amazed at some of the crap vw has pulled. I work with a large group of good folk here at wachovia and I can guarantee you that not a one has any plans on buying any vw anytime soon if ever! sad to say but it is true...

and I am surprised with all the empathy out here and not accusations that I am just complaining! thanks for the concern and reading through all this.

anybody want to get in on the office pool here? if anything it is good for a laugh!!!

-edit - empathy is a bad word choice above... compassion fits better.

· Registered
5 Posts
SC T-reg, I think you have a responsibility to let other owners and potential owners know about problems and experience with VW.

I have been looking at the Touareg, because I've owned 4 VW's over the past 22 years and have had nothing but great experiences with all of them. Of course, the VW's I've owned were from the era when VW made simple, reliable vehicles. My current VW is an 1987 Golf with over 200,000 miles on it. It even has the original clutch! (I know, because my father purchased it new). I've been accustomed to driving very reliable, trouble-free vehicles. Since it's finally time for me to get my first new vehicle, I naturally began looking at VW's line-up. And since I want an SUV, the Touareg is the natural fit.

I've been on two test-drives. My wife was with me for one and she totally fell in love.

VW has not had a good reputation in the electrical department for the past decade. Even my mechanic (a former VW factory mechanic) tells me that current VW's will "nickle and dime" you to death with little things constantly falling off and electical problems, yet the drivetrains are still as bulletproof as they were in the past. Thus, I went to look at the Touareg with excitement, yet was cautious.

I love the way it drives and the way it looks. It has the feel of quality when you sit in it.

But I think I've decided that reliability is most important to me, especially since I have wife and child. We purchased the first year production of the Honda CRV (1997) for my wife, and it has had zero problems ( currently 113,000 miles).

Reliability and function will probably win out this fall when I go to purchase (which is why I've owned VW's the past two decades). I'll probably end up with a Honda Pilot, even though it doesn't have the "fun" factor. I know the Pilot is not totally problem-free (no car is), but the types of problems do not compare to those of the Touareg.

This forum has been very informative. I thank everyone for posting "the good and the ugly" ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.