Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2013 Touareg TDI with 200K miles for cheapish.

As I am about to start the intake cleaning and oil cooler reseal job, I wanted to get onto a tune before long.

Looking for:
  • More on the side of fuel efficiency over total power
  • Keep EGR since I am based in Maine, unless warm-up times are not that bad on these?
  • Keep DPF and tune it out later when it does fail, unless I can run it with a hallowed-out DPF? Since the delete kit is about the same cost as a replacement DPF.
  • Delete DEF system since I cant see a negative to this delete.

I'm considering Malone Stage-2 with just the DEF delete, although can any of the deletes be added later with flashzilla?

Thanks!

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,957 Posts
Deleting it to open up the exhaust breathing and ensuring everything is maintained properly is probably your best option.
Depending on the desired cruising speed, you're already at optimal efficiency.
After that, it's all about aerodynamics, rolling resistance, ride height, etc.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone have any first hand experience with EGR delete warm up times? would like to do the EGR delete, yet I’m concerned with how long warm up times would be in the winter. or, with flashzilla, can you tune EGR in and out depending on the season?

· Registered
5,685 Posts
Doubt you pass Maine inspection deleting anything and definitely won't pass smog.

Deleting egr will kill your warmup time even worse than stock is

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doubt you pass Maine inspection deleting anything and definitely won't pass smog.

Deleting egr will kill your warmup time even worse than stock is
There is no smog, it would pass without issue in Maine.

alright, we’ll maybe I will do ask Malone if there is a way to flash tune in and out for the seasons with flashZilla thanks!

· Registered
5,685 Posts
There is no smog, it would pass without issue in Maine.

alright, we’ll maybe I will do ask Malone if there is a way to flash tune in and out for the seasons with flashZilla thanks!
You'll also fail any visuals if you do them. Or if they plug your car into the states DMV computer you'll fail, as it will detect the modules not reporting and the flags being silenced.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You'll also fail any visuals if you do them. Or if they plug your car into the states DMV computer you'll fail, as it will detect the modules not reporting and the flags being silenced.
In my area that wouldn't happen, no DMV computer, no smog, no CEL. I could unplug the EGR and have a not-ready state with a CEL and it would pass.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Warming time is longer with EGR delete (software only), you will notice particularly with temperature under -10C. In the summer, you won't notice the difference.

You won't notice a difference in the cab because of the electric heating. No regrets
Malone tune here.
Do all TDIs have an electric heater?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts