Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2004 V10 TDI with ~140k miles, which I don’t drive much -- it’s a backup vehicle for guests and whatnot. I recently discovered that a water leak in the rear-right trunk window has gotten into the nearby electronics, and tripped “all of the alert codes,” according to my nearby VW Service shop in Oakland. (I’m in the SF Bay Area)

The engine is fine and the car drives normally, but it doesn’t start reliably due to this issue. e.g. after a day or two, the little red lights in the doors that blink when it’s locked, stop blinking. And the dash screen doesn’t light up when I open the door, but does once I turn the key a few times while trying to start it.

I was hoping the official service shop could get it back in good order without spending a bunch of $ (hah!), but of course they’re telling me it will be 5-6 hours (and likely $ thousands) just to pull up the carpet and check + fix all the sensors and alert codes that are currently erroring.

I’m wondering if anyone here has any advice, guidance, or ideas on what to try? I’ve sunk a fair amount of $ into the car over the years, and am definitely ready to part ways with it. e.g. I could spend $ a few hundred to get it back in working order, but not $ a few thousand.

Options I’m considering:

A dealership trade-in for a more practical (and cheaper to maintain) used car as my secondary fallback + guest vehicle?

Donating it via these charitable car donation programs, which seem like sort of a black hole as far as the ultimate value fetched via their auctions?

Selling it via something like Craigslist or eBay, and I would definitely disclose the current state of its service issue -- so maybe someone might want it for parts or the body? I dunno.

Thanks in advance for your input and advice!
-Eric

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I read a similar story. I think it's the CCM which is at fault. you can replace it for very cheap. Hold on I'll get that thread for you.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
727 Posts
Went through this! First fix the water leak. Then be sure it’s fixed... water most likely is in the spare tire well? If so I can help...there is a relay in the trunk area that most likely shorted then caused associated fuses to blow... remove the spare tire and let us know what you find...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
727 Posts
Five sources for water to leak in...

One is posted above.
Two is the roof rails seal
Three is the glass is not tight enough against the rear hatch
Four is the hatch need to be adjusted tighter by moving the striker
Five is the rear sunroof drain is clogged, it’s under the fender liner.

Some of us have had 4 of the 5 before the water stopped leaking!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts