Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am interested in a 2009 Touareg Altitude 3.0 V6. During it's last MOT the only advisory was a fault code P2015. The seller has given the below explaination:-

A comment fault with these Engines is the air intake swirl flaps can clog with carbon and throw up a fault code. The fault shows as P2015.

Each bank of the engine has a cast plastic manifold which sits on top of the 3.0V6 engine (2 banks of 3 cylinders = 2 manifolds). Inside each manifold there are 6 ports, 3 which are unbaffled direct and 3 which have a flap in - controlled by a single rod connected to an actuator motor (2 actuator motors per engine).

A common fault is there becomes too much play in the connecting rods causing a resistance anomaly thus firing a fault code. Another fault is massive carbon clogging which again affects the resistance reading throwing the fault code. In this case, the actuator motor has an internal return spring and return position - this return 'stop' position is susceptible to wear over time and can allow the motor return Spring to pull the motor back past the point of where it should normally sit.

VW/Audi have made this motor a non-servicable part and would only replace the whole system under the warranty. You can buy just the motor which is approx £300-350 or you can buy a machine billet aluminium bracket made by diesel geeks which cradles the actuator motor cam creating a new return stop position. The cost of which is about £60 with shipping from the USA.

You can argue that it is a temporary fix but once you understand what the fault is (broken return stop) and understand that the fitted part is the same but just fitted externally to the actuator motor - it becomes a little clearer it is an economical but solid and good permanent fix for the issue.

The Touareg is susceptible to this fault.

The seller has been very helpful. But I am not as technically minded. But if anyone else has this problem they will know how to fix it. Advice on the above please?

Thanks.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Are you buying privately or from a dealer?

If the former, why hasn't the guy fixed the car since the fix is cheap [yes, known fault and you can buy the parts from a dealer too now] and the same applies to a dealer selling it.

I always advise to steer clear of any Touareg with known faults - they can be more expensive to fix than you might think.

Read the thread I've posted for you [twice!].

Buying a used Touareg. What to look for. - myTreg forums

And stop using BOLD!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a private sale. Which he has fixed. But has not replaced the entire part. I was hoping someone else had heard of this problem. I only used the bold to make the distinction between scripts!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the guy did not replace the single part as VW will only sell the entire part for about £350.00, so not that cheap. Is it a known common fault?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts