Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Touareg TDI V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my garage isn't heated, i'm preparing for the -30C temperatures we're bound to have this winter and I've purchased a 1000W zerostart circulating heater.
I was wondering if anyone has installed one on the V6 TDI before or had any advice on which coolant lines to connect to the heater. Can't seem to find the FrostHeater installation instructions anywhere online and I would rather pay $60 for the zerostart heater and have it now and do a little extra work than pay $300 after shipping for the Frostheater and have to wait for it to come in stock and ship eventually.

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Be careful where you do install the heater. The Touareg has two separate cooling systems; engine, and heater core. If you connect to the heater circuit, the engine won’t warm.
For this reason, I retrofitted the OEM parking heater system. It has a diesel burner, ties into the factory rns850 and HVAC system, and is programmable. Costs a bit more but well worth it.

·
Registered
2012 Touareg TDI V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No other hints? Location? Specific hoses?
I'm sure someone with a frostheater kit could tell me where theres goes.

·
Registered
744 Posts
No other hints? Location? Specific hoses?
I'm sure someone with a frostheater kit could tell me where theres goes.
If you want to heater the interior, Peel back the rear of the front left wheel liner. You’ll see some metal pipes and rubber hoses. Those are for the heater core. Lower section comes from engine to magnetic valve to heat core, upper section is from magnetic valve to heater core. Splice into the upper section after the magnetic valve.

if you want to heat the engine, splice into the lower section.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
OP,
Is this your first winter with the TDI? I park outside, and I can still get by without an aftermarket heater.
I can't imagine that an unheated garage would drop down anywhere close to the ambient temp outside, unless you have zero insulation and paper thin walls.
I find that VW did a good job on having the system warm up in an acceptable amount of time. I fully support @chewblekka OEM heater approach, and am very jelly of it, but not everyone is willing to invest that kind of effort and coin into their additional heat.

I would strongly suggest you look at just adding a heater to your garage instead.... it will be much more cost effective and you don't need to mess with the eggs systems.

·
Registered
2012 Touareg TDI V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well firstly my garage is completely uninsulated, so colder temperatures is definitely still an issue.
I'm not particularly concerned about warm up times, more about the wear that cold starts are going to take on the engine for the months that it's -20 Celcius or below in the mornings, and if it will start at all on those -35/-40 mornings.

And yes, the diesel heater on a timer or remote would be ideal, but I can't drop what seems to be slightly under $1000 on the parts and install when there's a sub $100 option that exists which is going to achieve the same end goal with a few less conveniences.

OP,
Is this your first winter with the TDI? I park outside, and I can still get by without an aftermarket heater.
I can't imagine that an unheated garage would drop down anywhere close to the ambient temp outside, unless you have zero insulation and paper thin walls.
I find that VW did a good job on having the system warm up in an acceptable amount of time. I fully support @chewblekka OEM heater approach, and am very jelly of it, but not everyone is willing to invest that kind of effort and coin into their additional heat.

I would strongly suggest you look at just adding a heater to your garage instead.... it will be much more cost effective and you don't need to mess with the eggs systems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts