Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to switch out my rns850 for a android unit...im afraid of losing the steering wheel heat tho, and the button would be so much nicer then waiting on this slow rns850.....i know the newer t3 or t4 have them...is it possible to install a button and harness? anyone looked into it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Been considering the same mod. Though my motivation is because of how long it takes the climate system to boot up: slower than an old 486 Pentium.....
If the car is snow covered I get in, start it up, turn on seat heater and ideally the wheel heat, then get out and brush snow, scrape ice, 5 minutes later back in and underway. In the time it takes for climate menu to be booted I can have almost entire car cleared. That and after dark I always drive with the radio but screen turned off.
I also like simple buttons or knobs: on/off, turn up or down. Touch screens are ergonomically stupid but I digress.....
I haven’t looked at wire harness but my hope is all it would take is getting the entire 4 button switch assembly that lives above the head unit from a post ‘15 luxery or executive model.
Should be able to find at a wrecking yard. I’ve used car_part.com to find used parts successfully. They usually have plenty of pics of the vehicle in question and you’ll be able to see if it has the 4 button switch bar. If your lucky the yard may allow pick your own, though not many do these days.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've been wondering something similar. I have dynaudio and don't want to loose factory stereo capability. So I've looked at a CarPlay box. I did however see that the screen bezel looks like it has a heated wheel button on it. I'm guessing that sends a signal to the wheel heat.

I'm curious if it is possible to retrofit the 2015+ bezel around the radio onto my '13. I've seen the complete screen for sale but I imagine only the bezel is needed (though perhaps I'm wrong) as the button most likely sends a message over CAN bus to turn the heat on (or perhaps through the RNS-850 computer module).

·
Registered
600 Posts
I’m wondering if it can be adapted to the 2011-2014

I imagine it’s sending a CAN message to the heater controller in the wheel.

If we can log the CAN message would be very easy to replicate functionality...

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
So just the button is 7P6927121A or B but it looks like the actual bezel is larger to accommodate more buttons.

If I was to get an android unit i'd look at this one:

The only downside it that it doesn't work with dynaudio which is a deal breaker for me.
I'm asking why, and also if they would be interested in a group buy.

And of course about the heated steering wheel control :)

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I’m wondering if it can be adapted to the 2011-2014

I imagine it’s sending a CAN message to the heater controller in the wheel.

If we can log the CAN message would be very easy to replicate functionality...
It looks like that button G428 is hardwired into the multifunction steering wheel control module J453

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
I think the buttons are a separate piece. They do show a version for the 2015-2017.

I looked at those. I wouldn’t do it unless they did some customizations. Like a higher res screen and some software things....

Unless you really want the big screen I would stick to the CarPlay adapter box and retain the factory system. The adapter boxes work with Bluetooth and digital AUX in and the factory Dynaudio. I’m working on a group buy on those.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I'm looking at it mainly for wireless carplay option, and hdmi out for my RSE.

Android Auto 9.0 and the processor used are the latest and greatest, and have lots of hacks available for someone like me that likes to tinker...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i read somewhere that the newer t3s that have buttons....still have the digital control in the rns850....so maybe just maybe we can get a hard button and its plug and play, going to need to dig into it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I’m guessing the steering wheel module also is listening to CAN maybe it’s got wires for an old fashion switch. The question is whether it has harness for it.

Actually now that I think about it I have a new module and old from when I added paddle shift to my Exec.

I’m 99.9% sure the Audi Q7 uses the same module. The Q7 with heated wheels have a mechanical wheel heat button right on the wheel. If I had to guess VW used the pins and routed a harness to the dash of the RNS-850 in place of the on wheel switch (can’t have the Touareg as luxurious as the Q7 now can we?).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im willing to change the module and even run wires....i really want an android unit but i just dont want to lose the wheel heat lol

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts