Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What does the brake controller have to do with trailer bulb out issues? They are two separate systems, TBC output goes directly to the 7-way, does not interface with the Touareg trailer module.

I can confirm that the curt trailer brake controller fits into the touareg fine, and that without the outer shell on the 7 way plug I get lights and functionality thru the trailer lights. If I add the shell around the 7 way trailer plug and go into the curt device the lights didn't work properly.

The red herring is that the tail lights and all the lights flicker like the touareg is trying to sense the lights with the shell around the 7 way plug. So it must be making contact but not fully plugging in.

Anyway, new plug goes on tonight. Appreciate all the help everyone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2014 Touareg TDI. I just bought an enclosed trailer with trailer brakes that uses the 7-way connector. The trailer has led lights. I'm aware that the connector needs to sense a load in order to power the lights.

Further, I plan to use a Curt bluetooth wireless brake controller with the touareg. I have the device but it doesn't have resistors inside to allow the car to detect the trailer. There are 7 way plugs with resistors that exist but if I double this up with the curt device it will be unweildy and dragging on the ground.

I've attempted to add resistors inside the 7-way plug. I tried 100 ohm between ground, left turn, right turn, and running lights. That did not work. I tried 50 ohm and finally 10 ohm resistors. None of these allowed the car to recognize the trailer which doesn't make sense to me. I feel like 10 ohms would draw 1.2 amps which should easily simulate an incandescent bulb. Can anyone tell me what is not sound about my logic?
Make sure you are testing with the ignition on, my trailer lights don’t do everything unless the ignition is on.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm aware that the connector needs to sense a load in order to power the lights.
I can't see in the thread if the OP tried the trailer lights without any resistors. If so just plug it in without the resistors.

I was aware also that my 7L may have needed modification to connect a trailer with LED lights. The Treg even came with a load box.
However, I have not used either the load box or resistors with trailers equipment with LEDs.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts