Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already searched clubtouareg and vortex and read the posts on adding the navigation unit and i still have questions. It appears you have to change the settings using a vag com to get sound if you have the upgraded sound system. (the one with the exterior amp)

I don't have the upgraded system, just the indash oem cd/radio. Will i still have to vag com my settings to get sound or is my system plug and play.

My second question has to do with the GPS antenna. After you remove the radio, can you thread the antenna wire through to the right fender, or do you have to remove more of the dash.

The only thing i have done so far is to order the radio removal tools from spockcat. I'm looking at some touareg navigation units on the german ebay site, but have not obtained one yet.

I have no interest in watching DVDs movies in my treg, so i am leaning toward the oem nav and not after market. Would appreciate any suggestions and please don't beat me up telling me the VW OEM Nav sucks; i already reads all those post. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Actually I believe you need to change the computer settings if you have the base sound system, not the upgraded sound system.

As for the GPS antenna, you should be able to get the antenna wire to the fender (although you might need to take off the inner fender - wheelwell protection). But you might want to try putting the GPS antenna under the center speaker grill. I think someone else did that and it worked OK.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one more question for you.....after i add the nav unit, i guess i need a vw cd changer so i can still listen to cd's and use nav. i see all kinds of them on ebay. are there any special wiring adapters i need for the cd changer. i see some type of plug attached to the inside right rear wall of my treg, inside the right rear side compartment. is that the wiring plug for the cd player or something else ?

·
Administrator
4,378 Posts
Yes, you'll need the changer and the Touareg is prewired for it. No adaptors should be needed, but you will probably need to get a mounting bracket for it.

Why not make a better purchase and get an iPod or other MP3 player and make use of the AUX input on the NAV unit by getting one of Spockcat's AUX cables? Or get a Dennison IceLink adaptor and gain track contol of the iPod from the steering wheel.

I have six CD's in my changer that have not been changed in over six months. I only listen to them when I forget to bring the iPod.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
It all depends on whether you have the wiring or not. I believe all North American Touaregs have it. But outside North America it seems VW didn't always put the wiring in. If you don't have the wiring in place, then I think some other mp3 device will be easier to wire.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a black plug and the wiring to the plug looks like it runs up to the front of the car along the right inside......so it appears to be prewired, but i won't know until i get a 6 cd changer and see if it fits the plug......

But before i do anything, i want to try and get an oem nav working.....i see them on the german ebay for around $700-$800 dollars, but the german ebay is different.

The sellers want you to wire the money (euros) from your bank directly into their bank account, so there is no protection if you are dealing with dishonest seller.

On top of that, my bank charges a $35.00 fee to wire dollars to euros. I like the protection of being able to pay using your credit card on paypal. All of this german ebay is new to me !

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I emailed a UK seller who goes by the name of tomonanda on ebay. He takes paypal and he has great ratings and many favorable comments on a UK Nav forum i've been reading. But, his nav units with GPS antenna are around $1500.00- $1600.00 which is higher than I want to pay. He even has a web site he sells direct from at this link.

http://www.satnavsystems.com/

Then I found a german seller who sells for around the same price, takes paypal, and can communicate in english and he has a good reputation on same UK Nav forum. See link.

http://www.autosound24.de/assets/ow...autosound24.de/pd2124473150.htm?categoryId=24

If their prices were lower, i would buy from either of them because i could use a credit card with paypal account. I will take my time, keep looking, and hope the prices come down. I like OEM stuff, and will keep watching german ebay site.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, i finally obtained a navigation unit with a GPS antenna off the German Ebay......it took (11) days to arrive via German Postal Air. It was the earlier version of navigation unit (model 7H0 035 1910.) It was used, but in new condition as the seller stated. (Now, someone on the US Ebay is selling one 4 months old- where was he when i needed him)

It came with a VW code card/serial number. It was basically plug and play, but i had to do two things to get sound & power. The passenger side fuse panel did not have a 30 amp fuse in the navigation slot because my treg did not come with navigation. I used the spare fuse at the bottom of the panel.

And the basic radio software code for non nav treg is 0003405 and per a previous post made by aircooled, I had to change the code to 0005467 to get sound.

The bad news is the users guide that came with the unit is in German. Although the settings on the nav unit are in English, the female voice is still talking in German and i need to figure out how to change it.

Since i lost my ability to listen to CD's while using the nav; my next project is either the 6 CD changer or an IPOD. After researching IPOD prices and reading some of the posts on the IPOD installs; i'm leaning toward the IPOD.

I'm sure glad the clubtouareg and vortex forums exist or i would be totally lost doing these upgrades

·
Registered
5 Posts
VW Factory NAV Unit install

I was just getting ready to place in the posting below, but it looks like you have gotten over most of these hurdles already. I'd appreciate any input you may have. I purchased the one off of ebay you were describing, but I don't think the GPS antenna will come with it. How much will one of those cost?

I'm also leaning towards the CD changer. I'd use a hook up for my MP3 player, but I like using the steering wheel controls. Let me know if you've crossed this bridge yet or not.

Thanks

Has anyone installed a VW factory navigation radio into their Touareg?

I purchased one off of eBay and wanted to know if:

1. I could install it myself or if it was better for my dealer to do it?

2. What parts I might need to order? What parts are needed for it as far as the install?

3. If anyone had the instructions or tips for how to put it in?

4. If anyone needs the old standard radio?

Drop me a line or give me a heads up when you can.

Thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can install it yourself if you order the radio removal tools. I bought mine from spockcat. You also need access to a vag com to change the radio coding on your treg.

You need a either an oem gps antenna which you can order online from any dealer selling vw parts or one from ebay like this one. You antenna has to have the fakra connection. It takes about (1) hour to install depending on where you mount the antenna.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38757&item=4516785105&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

·
Registered
41 Posts
I to am looking for an oem nav. Hammerdog can u pls direct me from the place u bought ur nav unit from. what did it include the nav unit and the gps antenna? anything else besides tht. and how did the installation go.
were u able to change tht female voice to english. and how much did it cost u.
since i stay in the middle east it wld be easier for me to buy it from german ebay since its closer then U.S

spockcat is it possible to connect a dvd/mp3/cdr/cd-rw changer to the oem nav unit throught the aux (Dont have the cd changer pre-wiried)

·
Registered
41 Posts
thnx for the info but hammerdog have a link from the german ebay seller u bought from as i to dont wanna spend 1600 dollars.
1100 is abt rite

Did u overcome the changing of voice guidance to english

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey hammerdog can u help me out here since i am a newbie when it comes to buying from ebay as i never had bought anything from ebay until now. Especially when its in german and i cant understand a thing it says.
here are the link i have found out so far but i want to contact the owner whether he does international shipping and how much he wld charge.
is it possible u can help retrieve the emaill address of the owner from the following sites and what does the package contains whether hes giving the gps antenna or the code card or not.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=76085&item=4528775402&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=76085&item=4529610081&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=76085&item=4529232289&rd=1

Thnx
-Dilip

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My seller did not speak English, only German.

I used the below site to translate his ebay ad and also to communicate with him.

Copy the ebay address for the ad, then plug it into translate web page. Use the translate a block of text to send email to your seller. Its not exact, but it help you communicate with German speaking seller.

I communicated to several German Ebay sellers by sending email in both English and German. Some of them will respond back in English. You want to make sure the seller will ship overseas and ask him much he will charge.

http://world.altavista.com/

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.