Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody done this successfully yet would be pleased to hear about it,Its being done successfully in OZ with other c/ rail diesels and are geting up to 25% inprovement in economy even after buying gas and similar improvement in kw cost is about 4.5 to 5 thou in OZ dollars. For thoughs wandering how it works, Simple ,gas explodes when the diesel does bigger bag and cleaner burn ,more power,obviously you nead another gas tank on board aprox 20 lts volume it could fit where your spear tyre now goes and replace tyre with spray can you no that expanding foam stuff.:eek:Your fellow Tregger in OZ just Tregging along Dean.PS I wander what VW think ?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Maybe it's just me... but I would NEVER add gasoline to the diesel mix.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
It was common add up to 10% of the lowest octane gas you could find to diesel when I first started driving about 20 years ago (when diesels didn't have things liek PD or CRD technology). the idea was to winterize your fuel so it wouldn't wax up. Fuel economy would drop drastically and sometimes your engine would run like crap...but it sure beat waiting for 24 hours in a heated facility for the lines to thaw.

With much more reliable diesel supply, heated fuel lines and with ultra high tech diesel engines I don't know of anyone who does this, nor would I ever do it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gas in Diesel

Your American colloquialism has brought you unstuck, Gas is gas Petrol is petrol , I would'nt add petrol to diesel either Your friend in OZ still Tregging along Dean.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Are you talking about LPG? if so, haven't heard of anyone doing that either. Anything I've read from VW indicates that TDI engines are to be run on diesel fuel only.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes adding LPG to diesel

Are you talking about LPG? if so, haven't heard of anyone doing that either. Anything I've read from VW indicates that TDI engines are to be run on diesel fuel only.
Yes, like i said ,its all ready been successfully done here in OZ for some time now, But not sure if any body has done aTregg yet.I'm going to make futher enquiries on monday at Australian LPG warehouse. I'll let you all now.DEAN

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Diesel fuel only

In OZ we are warned not to use biodiesel and there is also a warning in the filler cap, however i've learnt recently on these forums that some of you guys are using it, what gives? Do you know anything? Your friend in OZ Dean

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Dean, VW still doesn't recommend biodiesel usages but many members are running it successfully, There are a few even running B100!. Fred's TDI page has a ton of info on biodiesel, the bulk of it would be written for the 1.9 and 2.0L 4 cyl TDIs, so not sure how much of that knowledge would apply to the 3L V6 or 5L V10 TDIs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bio diesel

Dean, VW still doesn't recommend biodiesel usages but many members are running it successfully, There are a few even running B100!. Fred's TDI page has a ton of info on biodiesel, the bulk of it would be written for the 1.9 and 2.0L 4 cyl TDIs, so not sure how much of that knowledge would apply to the 3L V6 or 5L V10 TDIs.
From what i understand the bio exhaust may not combust, or combust as well as normal diesel exhaust hence,The normal self cleaning system may not work at all, or at a much reduced effect. Remember too thoughs exhaust particular filters, Cats,mufflers, ect are very expansive.In OZ they are thousands of dollars.Dean [Your thoughts] And by the way whats the time over there.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
From what i understand the bio exhaust may not combust, or combust as well as normal diesel exhaust hence,The normal self cleaning system may not work at all, or at a much reduced effect. Remember too thoughs exhaust particular filters, Cats,mufflers, ect are very expansive.In OZ they are thousands of dollars.Dean [Your thoughts] And by the way whats the time over there.
Interesting..I did wonder why bio was a no-no. All the DPFs and related stuff are expensive in all diesels, my Ford truck has DPFs and they cost a fortune should they need to be replaced. FWIW Ford doesn't recommend use of anything but ULSD in their diesel engine (6.4L V8 CRD with DPFs).

When you posted this 7 hours ago it was 4am on Monday in my timezone (Eastern time)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Diesel GAS Australia YES LPG

Palew .previous thead is right on the money.They have got kenworths on gas LPG fleets of them all manner diesels on it.Toyotas 200 series we call them landcruises in OZ 4.5 lt v8 diesels latest jap engines 195 kw 650 nm of torque producing about 235 kws and 850 nm with LPG and exhaust jobs .id expect about 210 kws and 650 nm out of my v6 tdi 15% fuel saving not bad eh 4 us little old OZZIES down under.[Just add gas]Who would of thought.:-D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts