Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started my 2009 Touareg TDI today. Has 8K miles on it. Started it today and got the warning that Adblue low and won't restart once turned off. Being Sunday had no choice but to turn off, and of course won't restart now. Never got 1500 mile or 400 mile warning!!!!! Anyone had similar problems or know why I wouldn't get warning?
Thanks
Michael

·
Super Moderator
9,717 Posts
Was it not filled up at the 5K service?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol. I brought the TDI to the VW dealer where I bought and they said didn't need service until 10K. I asked specifically about the AdBlue and they told me "there is no way to check it but when the light comes on bring it in" Well the 1500 and 400 lights never came on. Sooooooo mad.

·
Super Moderator
9,717 Posts
Service for that is every 5K.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My ADBlue warning for 400 miles came on once. then went off for all I know. I just happened to catch it when I started one day, it was on the MFI then went away, then it did not come back on later. I got service before 400 miles. I don't know what the behavior of the warning is supposed to be, but it needs to be more persistent IMO. I have a spare gallon of ADBlue I carry now just in case.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it sounds like
1. The dealer in Charleston, SC has no idea what they were talking about
2. There is an issue with the AdBlue warning system?
3. I should take it in every 5K to get some added regardless of the warning lights?

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I get the 1500 mile count down light for Adblue about every 8000 miles. The tank is 4.5 gals and according to the manual when the light comes on it should take a min of 2.5 gal. I keep a few bottles (.5 gal each) in the garage and add them to the tank once in awhile. Always good to keep the tank as full as possible. One .5 gal bottle should cost you about $9.00 at the dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks rineman1. I don't understand why the dealers don't just fill up all the way. The one here puts in a few gallons and charges extra to fill up all the way. As for the lack of warning messages the dealer says there are no error messages on the diagnostics and no way to actually test the sensors in the adblue tank. Anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
28 Posts
is it really worth it to purchase a vehicle like this that a service every 5000 miles is needed for the adblue additive and an expensive vehicle to maintain cant see where this touareg is worth the money with everything you have to do to it

·
Registered
367 Posts
Adblue is the only game in town if you want a diesel. This was the only way for VW, BMW and MB to be able to sell cars in California. Just to get that 50th state compliance they all had to hang probably 10k worth of emissions gear downstream of the engine.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I came across some posts on other diesel forums that said Pilot, Love, Flying J etc carried DEF at prices around $2.50/gallon. This is as much an incidental cost to me as windshield washer fluid. I think a problem is the old Consumer Report vehicle test that listed it at $32/gallon. Things stay on the internet forever.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it sounds like if the dealer fills the whole tank (i.e. > 4 gallons) they go more like 8K -10K miles. Like wensteph says all diesels need to have to reduce emissions (even tho they are cleaner than gas anyway). Only an extra $30 to get whole tank filled- at least that what it was for me and that is less than a tank of gas so no biggie. Just wish I knew why the alarm didn't alert me I was running low!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wonder if adding generic DEF voids any kind of warranty? Is there any difference with it and the AdBlue brand?

·
Registered
64 Posts
My 2010 had a free 5,000 mile courtesy service. Dealer says adblu is covered under new vehicle free service plan at 10,000 mile interval. I think my first warning light came on at around 9,500.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Of course he can test the sensors. He can siphon adblue from the tank until the sensor is supposed to come on. He can duplicate the situation and see what happens.

I'm curious about herothedog's experience. The warning should come on and stay on until the sensor gets a reading that adblue has been added.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts