Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,934 Posts
Also, the fact that you received THAT warning, indicates that you either didn't add sufficient DEF to the tank and\or you didn't do the reset procedure.... you should've been greeted with the first "low DEF" warning that's the 1000 mile mark or whatever you guys have on that side of the border.

Mine warns me first when I'm down to 1600kms left....

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,934 Posts
Read your owner's manual.
When you get a warning, there's a "minimum" top up amount that you need to add.
You don't need to randomly add as per "your tech"..... you just need to do it correctly and with sufficient (and good) DEF
For what it's worth, I have never added without being prompted by the system in my 4 years of ownership.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,934 Posts
Diagnosed the code as "low quality DEF". The fix was to empty the tank and refill. Three hours later and $800
The problem was your dealer and their greed. It wouldn't take anywhere near that time or cost to do the above IF that was the actual issue. You got ripped off, because you were in a jam and didn't have options.

But if you believe that using a certain brand or "OEM spec" DEF will give you protection, by all means, go for it.
$800 buys you a lot of VW DEF ;)

Personally, I don't believe your DEF was the issue, and I'd be willing to bet the just reset the system without draining\replacing anything... but that's just me.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,934 Posts
There's no mystery about it. It's spelled out in the warranty summary that no owner reads.
AdBlue® (diesel exhaust fluid) usage may increase, and, as a result, require more frequent refilling of your AdBlue® tank. As a courtesy to you, your vehicle will be returned to you with a full tank of AdBlue® and fuel during the Approved Emission Modification (AEM).
AdBlue® refillings will also be offered free of charge between service intervals for:
 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first from the vehicle’s original in-service date;
OR
 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the emissions modification

1 - 8 of 8 Posts