Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drove from Ohio to Leadville, CO pulling my Rockwood Mini Lite Camper with my 2013 T-reg. Loaded it weighs around 3,800 lbs. I topped off the AdBlu and have driven 1,800 miles. I had to climb from Denver to Eisenhower tunnel. Running 2,500 to 3,000 RPM going up and down the other side. Temp went from 220 to 230 or 235 several times. When I got close to Leadville I got a AdBlu in 1,000 miles. The next time i start it says 900. I have never, never gone through AdBlu this fast in around the 70,000 miles I've driven it. Did the heat and high RPM cause the usage? When you get a warning how much is left in the tank?

TBDub

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
It's highly unlikely that you depleted the AdBlue tank is just 1800 miles, unless there's a serious defect in the system, which then should be taken care of anyway. Still, the first thing you should obviously try is to top the tank up (for a multitude of reasons), and only proceed with looking for another fault if that doesn't help, or if the problem returns in another 1800 miles.

On the other side the AdBlue tank level sensor is known to fail quite frequently on second generation Touaregs, and if you have used sub-par fluids or always just topped up the stuff and never extracted the old one, then you might have a clogged AdBlue injector.

If the topping up is not possible or doesn't help, read the fault codes with a VAG-specific diagnostic device (VCDS, OBDeleven), or schedule an appointment at your preferred repair shop.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
We covered this when while debating the merits of the "defeat" software and that little emission issue that VW had.

I am always amused by how quickly everyone forgets. If you are running the engine full out, then you will be running thru the def fluid extremely quickly.

To repeat, if you run the engine "full out" (which is not pratical, you can not keep a engine floored 100% of the time) the ENTIRE DEF tank will be used up in only 2000 kilometers.

^^That is not my seat of the pants opinion. That is what an AUDI engineer told the courts. Source Links below so that the non researchers can confirm.

So, using up an entire DEF tank under heavy usage in a very few miles is very possible.

That said, I would be unhappy if it happened to me.

Audi engineers tested a Volkswagen Touareg, and an Audi Q7 “with frightening results,” wrote Spiegel:

The diesel Touareg needed eight liters of urea per 1,000 kilometers (621 miles). The intended tank had only a 16-liter capacity. A Touareg driver would have to replenish AdBlue every 2,000 kilometers (1,243 miles). The engineers wanted the tank to be refilled during the scheduled service visit after 10,000 kilometers (6,210 miles).”
“Would it not be better to tell customers and regulators the truth about the emission treatment, instead of operating with dubious software programs, Weiß wanted to know. Would Volkswagen Group not be better advised to clearly state that the strict environmental limits could only be met with frequent re-fills of AdBlue? That obviously was an impossibility for a marketing department primarily focused on sales. To comply with the regulations, they argued, the tank would have to be refilled every 2,000 or 3,000 kilometers, an unreasonable burden on the customer, especially because in some cases, a dealer visit would be necessary. Honest communication could result in a serious reduction of sales, and a severe loss of face.”

·
Registered
732 Posts
Don't you guys get free adblu top ups as part of the Dieselgate settlement?

Touareg owners in Europe haven't seen a pfennig!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Pro Tip: When trailering anything of substance for any distance, bring alomg some Ad Blu. Post-fix, it drinks it right up.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
New song for the emission complaint engine.

One, two gulps of diesel and now a gulp of def.
One, two gulps of diesel and now a gulp of def.
One, two gulps of diesel now and a gulp of def.

·
Registered
230 Posts
We covered this when while debating the merits of the "defeat" software and that little emission issue that VW had.

I am always amused by how quickly everyone forgets. If you are running the engine full out, then you will be running thru the def fluid extremely quickly.

To repeat, if you run the engine "full out" (which is not pratical, you can not keep a engine floored 100% of the time) the ENTIRE DEF tank will be used up in only 2000 kilometers.

^^That is not my seat of the pants opinion. That is what an AUDI engineer told the courts. Source Links below so that the non researchers can confirm.

So, using up an entire DEF tank under heavy usage in a very few miles is very possible.

That said, I would be unhappy if it happened to me.

Great article. I towed a VW Tiguan to the West coast a couple years ago, running in "full out" mode for four days straight, towing ~6200# at interstate speeds across the Plains, over the Rockies, and through Death Valley to the coast.

The mighty Touareg drank DEF like a drunk sailor, but quickly returned to its normal Post-fix range of 8000 miles before Ad Blu warning appeared.

All they needed to do was put an adblue fill near the fuel fill like the Q7, with some real way of monitoring consumption in their menu system. Had they engineered that into their software instead of their cheat code, we'd still be buying TDIs in the USA.

·
Registered
342 Posts
This is normal when towing, especially under heavy loads. I went through over 20 gallons of DEF in 3-4K miles towing around 5K lbs.
DEF is meant to reduce oxides of nitrogen (NOx). Nox forms when organic materials (like fossil fuels) are burnt at high temperatures. On a Diesel engine, higher fuel ratios ('rich') increase combustion temperatures, which is the opposite of gasoline engines. So high loads tend to increase NOx output, which in turn increases DEF usage to lower NOx emissions.
Just drove from Ohio to Leadville, CO pulling my Rockwood Mini Lite Camper with my 2013 T-reg. Loaded it weighs around 3,800 lbs. I topped off the AdBlu and have driven 1,800 miles. I had to climb from Denver to Eisenhower tunnel. Running 2,500 to 3,000 RPM going up and down the other side. Temp went from 220 to 230 or 235 several times. When I got close to Leadville I got a AdBlu in 1,000 miles. The next time i start it says 900. I have never, never gone through AdBlu this fast in around the 70,000 miles I've driven it. Did the heat and high RPM cause the usage? When you get a warning how much is left in the tank?

TBDub

·
Registered
101 Posts
Towing, particularly at high elevations, drinks DEF almost as fast as a gas engine would drink gas. Do NOT expect a linear warning rate. Always carry an extra 2.5 gal DEF pak with you, especially in remote areas. You can be left stranded. The engine will NOT shut off while running even if you're at 0 miles remaining, but you will be locked out of restarting it. VagCom cannot defeat that lockout and it will need to be towed to a dealer to be reset. I have experience with this. Barely made it into Vegas after a malfunction of the fill indicators on the DEF tank.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Towing, particularly at high elevations, drinks DEF almost as fast as a gas engine would drink gas. Do NOT expect a linear warning rate. Always carry an extra 2.5 gal DEF pak with you, especially in remote areas. You can be left stranded. The engine will NOT shut off while running even if you're at 0 miles remaining, but you will be locked out of restarting it. VagCom cannot defeat that lockout and it will need to be towed to a dealer to be reset. I have experience with this. Barely made it into Vegas after a malfunction of the fill indicators on the DEF tank.
Question for the group: If I don't properly reset the countdown warning (say, 400 miles) after adding DEF (say, 2.5 gal)...and it gets to zero, what wins? This is good news that the car will keep running, but what wins? The countdown clock or the fact that there is at least 2.5 gallons of DEF in the tank?

From the above comments, it sounds as if the no-start will occur despite having DEF in the tank?

Thoughts? Insights?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Question for the group: If I don't properly reset the countdown warning (say, 400 miles) after adding DEF (say, 2.5 gal)...and it gets to zero, what wins? This is good news that the car will keep running, but what wins? The countdown clock or the fact that there is at least 2.5 gallons of DEF in the tank?

From the above comments, it sounds as if the no-start will occur despite having DEF in the tank?

Thoughts? Insights?
Mine has always cleared the warning on its own after filling the tank.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I wouldn't want to bet a tow bill on it not locking out a restart.
To reset the AdBlue (DEF) system, add at least 1.5 gallons (6 liters). Turn on ONLY the ignition- do not start. After at least 30 seconds, start the engine. AdBlue level is reset.

Thoughts? Insights?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Incorrect......I used my VCDS to restart my vehicle several times after it reached zero to restart. Granted the restart only gives you minimal miles/kilometers before zero again, but you definitely don't need the dealer to restart it.

After I fixed my problem, a plugged up injector nozzle, I ran it through a test cycle. The mileage to restart eventually climbed and disappeared once the ECU was satisfied.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not sure I would go out on a limb like that on two different faults.
Do you mind posting the procedure you used to restart your 7P Touareg?
Incorrect......I used my VCDS to restart my vehicle several times after it reached zero to restart. Granted the restart only gives you minimal miles/kilometers before zero again, but you definitely don't need the dealer to restart it.

After I fixed my problem, a plugged up injector nozzle, I ran it through a test cycle. The mileage to restart eventually climbed and disappeared once the ECU was satisfied.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine has always cleared the warning on its own after filling the tank.
Mine did until it didn't. After the warning, I got a 2.5 gallon DEF and tried to add it, but it overflowed with about a gallon left. Probably should have been my big warning that some thing was amiss. I did the 30 second wait for the system to recognized DEF was added. It didn't. I began driving thinking it would see it's error. It didn't. Countdown continued and I was able to get to Vegas and errands done with the engine running before I parked it at the hotel.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
929 Posts
Restarting a Touareg, or any European car, with empty Adblue depends on its age, specifically its emission regulation status - a Euro 5 car is permitted to restart but Euro 6 and later aren't permitted to restart with zero Adblue - the switch over date for European market cars was August/September 2015 build.

I don't know how that relates to North American market cars but may explain when some will restart but others won't..

·
Registered
681 Posts
All the more reason to delete the SCR/DPF and never have to worry about a single AdBlu issue ever again.

Reactions: RocketTech

·
Registered
927 Posts
Had they engineered that into their software instead of their cheat code, we'd still be buying TDIs in the USA.
No we wouldn't be. There isn't a single new German diesel being imported. Americas emissions scandal (the EPA) is the biggest scandal in history, not the TDI scandal.

·
Registered
230 Posts
No we wouldn't be. There isn't a single new German diesel being imported. Americas emissions scandal (the EPA) is the biggest scandal in history, not the TDI scandal.
You missed my point. Per the article referenced, had VW engineered an easy to monitor/refill Ad Blu system instead of developing cheating code to appease a marketing goal of 10k service intervals, refilling Ad Blu - IMHO - at a shorter interval would not have been a deal-breaker to many 6cyl TDI owners.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I towed my 3000 lb Scamp from Navarre FL to Albuquerque plus all around on the way and used about 3 gal of DEF. If you are out and about and run out of DEF between oil changes and have a Dieselgate car then the VW dealer will fill it for free as part of the agreement. I think that they may pay for towing to a dealer as well, but at my age memory is a sometimes thing and someone will jump in and expand or correct, I am sure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts