Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2015 TDI. Short story. Yesterday had warning come up ad Blue waring 1000 miles. Got home added about 1/3 of 2.5 litre jug I had at house. Left today to go out of town and check engine light came on and about 20 miles later ad blue has 250 miles came on. Stopped and put 3 gallons in and got back in and light stayed on. Went about 20 miles and bought more and finished filling up. light stayed on. Rented car and went on trip. Got back to car and drove home, about 60 miles. Now shows 95 miles to not starting. check engine light still on. Had services 3000 miles ago and know I didn't burn a whole tank in 3000 miles. Any ideas to resetting?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Gotta put at least 1.5 gallons in if you get the warning. After you add, turn the ignition on (without starting) and wait 30 seconds, then start. Warnings will be reset.
DEF tank size is 5 gallons.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just to clarify, what are you calling the check engine light? You should be seeing an icon of a jug pouring a liquid in the instrument cluster. If you see a wrench at the same time, it indicates a problem with the AdBlue/DEF system.
Most likely cause is they neglected to refill DEF at the last service.

1.5 gallons = 5.7 liters.
5 gallons = 20 liters

·
Registered
139 Posts
Need a VCDS scan. Emissions systems codes will trigger this and you may have an actual problem that no amount of DEF added to your tank will solve.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
840 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

You may need the dealership to deal with it. This happened to my 2013 right after a 20,000 miles service.
There was no indication I needed AdBlue, bu the dealership did not top off the tank during the service visit as they were supposed too. I was about 5 minutes from the dealership, just before closing, just after I picked up my Touareg and the warning came on. It was too late to take it back, my brother (my ride) had already left, and they were closed.

Took it back in the following day, they filled it and reset the warning. Drove away. Following day at work, warning came on. wtf... I looked into the tank and could see the level near the top of the fill neck. OK,,,,

Took it back. They had it for 3 days. They had to have help from Germany to fix the issue with a some kind of reflash, The problem has never returned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts