Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm not easily stumped, but I'm stumped. For the record, I've been installing car stereos since about 1986 in my own humble car as well as a few other people's, though never professionally. I generally get wiring.

The new touchscreen stereo arrives with the adapting cable, etc. I wire it all together and, the head unit powers on for a moment, and then turns off. I eventually determine it's not getting any power to its Accessory Power (switched) lead.

I trace it back to the wiring harness and realize that the lead it's connecting to isn't providing switched 12V on it, or on any of the other non-speaker leads. I suspect it might be a fuse (separate from the constant 12v) so I run through all the fuses that could be the culprit - they're all fine.

BUT! There is this mysterious "CAN +" and "CAN -" which seems to be some kind of network?

At this point, I've been struggling off and on for about 4 years to get a decent stereo in that car (it's my girlfriend's main vehicle) and I think she may set the car on fire if I don't get this working soon.

I guess the first question is, is there anything "weird" about a Touareg's accessory power lead? IS THERE an accessory (switched) power lead in the traditional sense?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Probably not, since the car uses a CAN bus. A factory wiring schematic would tell you for sure.

You can easily find switched accessory power from one of the cigarette lighters (aka power ports, depending on one's age...). I'd run the power from there or get the appropriate adapter, if one exists, to run a "regular" radio in a CAN bus vehicle.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Danielsan - The "CAN +" and "CAN -" refer to the computer communication links in the car. It MAY be that, in order to work correctly these 'CAN' port connectors need to be 'adapted' to the car's computer. ie the computer needs to be 'told' where and what it needs to do. The way to do this is with VAG-COM (or the dealer's computer link). Kind of like telling your home computer where the printer port is when you want to print a page.
Have you access to a VAG-COM?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts