Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've encountered the warning light armageddon, and I believe it's almost certainly the result of some corroded wire splices under the driver's (left) side carpet since I've just addressed leaking sunroof drains. I've searched around and didn't find any how-to's or tips for actually accessing the wires that under the carpet. Does anyone have any tips, words of wisdom, etc. regarding how to take everything apart without damaging anything?

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is something I'd like to know as well since my Touareg is in the same condition i.e. it will run but lots of warning lights, tach/speedo aren't working, etc. I'm digging through the forum and have found lots of posts regarding the wiring harness splices so I'm ready to work on that issue but I'm not quite sure how to go about disassembling trim and such to get the carpet up. Any help/advice/tips would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,436 Posts
When you have multiple errors between multiple modules in a T1 (2004-2007 model), check the wiring harness for a defective factory splice in a brown wire near the drivers door.

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f95/2008-fsi-v6-wtf-just-happened-158025-2.html

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/touareg-problems-system-fault-brake-assist-etc-87157.html

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f44/the-abs-module-yarn-241769.html This one has some good pictures of the splice locations that need to be checked, even though the problem turned out not to be a bad splice, but a mouse that chewed the canbus wire.

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/several-engine-brake-faults-70932.html

This is the wire that is usually defective due to a bad factory splice.

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f95/2008-fsi-v6-wtf-just-happened-158025-2.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
nickyt - Thanks for the quick response! What's the best method of accessing the wiring? I don't want to damage any of the interior trim so do I start by pulling the piece on the A-pillar next to the instrument panel then work my way down toward the door sill? From the photos it looks like all of the wiring is behind those trim panels and not under the carpet as in later editions of the Touareg. Is this correct? Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was able to remove the topmost piece of trim but the next section that includes the hood release handle has me stumped. Do I have to remove the handle itself? How does it release from the vehicle and where are the best spots to pry? I tried in a few areas but it seems to be very firmly attached and I can't see any visible fastener locations. Help!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/broken-bonnet-hood-release-mechanism

hi
just had the same problem.

is the lever really loose? i.e. does it feel like it is not pulling any cable at all? If so it may be similar to the problem I had which was that the plastic housing that contains the 'ball' end of the cable had broken. i solved this (temporarily) by doing the following:

1. remove the release handle by pulling out the clip at the back of it.

by pulling at the back of the trim and shining a light into the space you should be able to see if you have the problem described above.

if so then:

2. remove the trim under the steering wheel (2 torx head screws)
3. loosen the the door sill trim by levering off the tread insert and removing the 2 torx screws.
4. take off the trim that sits behind the handle. you have to prise off the top part which has a clip, and wiggle the whole thing to get it out from under the door sill trim.
5. this will reveal the mechanism which you can either replace or fix with a cable tie as i did

hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same issues with my 2008 V8 Touareg. I was able to access the wiring underneath the driver's side seat. The picture of t
The wire looks very similar, if not exact, to the one I just took. Did reconnecting that wire solve your issue? The wire was simply connected with electrical tape that had failed.

Wood Grey Creative arts Flooring Tints and shades

Sleeve Wrist Bicycle handlebar Electrical wiring Bicycle tire
Electrical wiring Line Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle
Hand Finger Thumb Nail Wood

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Cut back to good clean copper and reconnect wires. I would use solder so that the connection does not fail again.

Every electrician will tell you that you don't just twist wires and cover with tape. Both vibration and moisture can cause failure and this area has both problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cut back to good clean copper and reconnect wires. I would use solder so that the connection does not fail again.

Every electrician will tell you that you don't just twist wires and cover with tape. Both vibration and moisture can cause failure and this area has both problems.
Thank you for the quick response. I plan on doing just that after a quick test on that connection. Going to wait until daylight though! Did that wire connection fix solve your issue?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts