Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/girls...I tried searching this forum but didn't have any luck. Is there a way to access the top of the rear shocks from inside the car? My rear is really bouncy at highway speeds and the tech at BC said I need to adjust my rebound. I was hoping that I could make the adjustments without having to drop the coil (for obvious reasons). They really sit far up in the pocket for me to even access the knob, so I was hoping that I could remove an access plug under the spare tire well or something, that would allow me to make the adjustment and then drive it, and make more adjustments. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I installed BC Racing coilovers on my 2009 VW Touareg TDI several years ago. I had to adjust the damping several times until I got the coilovers dialed in to my liking. I always had to completely remove the rear ones to adjust the damping. I am not aware of any way to adjust the coilovers from the spare tire area.

The optimal settings for me were 9 on the front ones and 11 on the rear ones with 1 being the stiffest setting. I had no bouncing on these settings and the ride was comfortable.

The only thing I did dislike about the BC coilovers is how labor intensive it is to adjust the damping.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I decided to start from the beginning of the posts and read each one that pertained slightly to my issue. I got to yours I think after the fourth page. Thank you for the reply. I was afraid of having to drop them. Just to clarify the dial on the top has a +/- on it correct? All the way to (+) is 1? (stiffest) and all the way to (-) is 30? (Softest). That is my problem now at highway speeds over a dip the rear is bouncing quite a bit. I didn't know where to be on install so I put them all on 15. So at 11 it should squat after going over a bump, and then rise out of it? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
388 Posts
The adjustment knobs for damping are marked and you will need to move the dial 30 clicks clockwise to get to the stiffest setting. Once you reach stiffest setting, move the knob counterclockwise and count the number of clicks you want to adjust to soften the damping.

The removal nuts on the rear coilovers are extremely hard to reach and you will need a metric flex ratchet wrench to remove the nuts. I own a set of metric flex ratchets and I think the removal nuts are 10 mm.

Having a car lift is the easiest way to service the coilovers. I did not have access to one and I used two jack stands, wheel chocks and a floor jack when I removed the coilovers for adjustment. Once you do the first one, the second one becomes easier.

In my case, 9 and 11 setting is a comfortable ride with no bouncing. I have a Porsche Cayenne with air suspension and the 9 and 11 setting feels similar to the comfort setting with air suspension on my Porsche Cayenne.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply. I put them in on a jack and two jack stands. It wasn't as easy as a lift but it wasn't a nightmare either. Thanks for the doing the trial and error with finding the best setting. I'll be doing the adjustment when I swap over to my winter set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hammerdog I'm hoping you can help me. You are the only other one I know lowered on BC coils. I just went to get my new snow tires mounted and balanced with alignment. I got it back and the rear camber was worse then when I dropped it off. They say that is the maximum adjustment they can get on it. When I switched over from my summers they were significantly more worn then the outers. I knew my camber was off but not that much!! Anyway I thought a simple alignment would take care of it, but I'm at -3.0 on the rears.
Two questions... First is what the shop telling me accurate? I feel like they just don't want to try dial it in. Second, does BC make a camber kit for the rear? They aren't open today (Saturday) but their website says they do but to call for info.
I'm lowered about 3" in the rear and 2.5" in the front. Are you that low? I like the way it looks but don't want to be chewing through tires every 15k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts