Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I recently acquired a 2006 Treg to tow a 19' airstream. The airstream is ready and now I need to prep for pick up! MyTreg has a factory 'Tow Package' and what I was told was an aftermarket hitch.
I picked up the recommended 7 pin connector and went to try and install next to the hitch receiver. I thought it was going to be easy to drop the panel around the tow hitch (it looked like just 4 Torx screws), I got those out and... no dice.
Do I need to take the whole rear panel (and tail lights) off to access what I think should be a wiring harness under there? Also, feeling around for a brake control wire up under the steering column with no luck either.
Any recommendations on access or how to get this project done?
Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take a look at this. It shows you where the wires run
Thanks, that was helpful and gives me a few more questions, I assumed, now seemingly incorrectly that the tow controller would be part of the factory 'tow package'. Can anyone clarify what the original factory tow package would have included?

·
Registered
06 V8
46 Posts
Are you sure you have the tow package? An aftermarket hitch makes me think someone just bolted it up and wired in a 4/5 pin trailer plug. Mine does have the tow package with a 7 pin connector. I'll check if I have the brake control module, but I'm 90% sure any T with a hitch and wiring has the controller.

EDIT: I realize not all had provisions for trailer brakes, but if you did you should have the controller mounted in the back. You can check with VCDS module 69 Trailer to see if there is a response

1 - 5 of 5 Posts