Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all,
I'm looking for some expertise in the Flexray protocol. I've done some retrofits on my 2013 Touareg TDI that have to date only involved CANBUS connections. Specifically, I've done the Area View camera and the Side Assist (Blind Spot warning), and I've been successful with this. I've been wanting to do the Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Assist retrofit for a good while now, but frankly, I haven't had the time to get the windshield replaced. I got a rock hit a while back, which I thought was just going to be a fill, but turned out it was too close to the A-Pilar, so it needed to be replaced. :grin2:

So, before the windshield guy showed up, I ran the wiring for the Lane Assist, including the On Board Camera, the Pitch Sensor, the image processing control module, as well as the ACC wiring. Turns out, they are all on the same wiring diagram in ELSA, so it made sense to do it all at once.

So my windshield is in, VCDS see's the onboard camera (CANBUS connection), but it doesn't see my ACC radars or the Image Processor. I've used the coding from a 2015 as a reference, and have been going back and forth with Ross-tech for the better part of a week. They just won't show up.

I've verified the wiring like 20 times by now, checked the power connections, and so on and so on. The thing they have in common is that they are both Data bus wire (FlexRay bus), which unlike CAN BUS, has a direct connection to the CAN Gateway, vs taping in anywhere along the line. The lines are twisted, and from everything I've read, don't require shielding. I tried to contact Kufatec to see maybe if I'm missing something and if they would make a custom wire (read between the lines, paid for), and they were utterly unhelpful.

So, I'm stuck trying to figure out what could be wrong. I know there are people on the Audi forums that have installed both ACC and Lane Assist, so I'm absolutely positive I can do it.

Is it possible I'm missing something with the Flexray. I've read on general garage forums that Flexray needs to be terminated, but it could be terminated in the CAN Gateway.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Damn, that's impressive. I am sorry, I can't help you.. but, if you wanted to do a write up on how to get area camera working on my 2017 Touareg Wolfsburg (I upgraded the mirrors to an executive, so they have cameras in them, but no wiring and no front camera).

Anyway, nice work and good luck!

·
Learner
4,637 Posts
Impressed by what all you’ve done -installation of all that complex wiring.
If you need to verify vcds configuration then let me know

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good day all,
I'm looking for some expertise in the Flexray protocol. I've done some retrofits on my 2013 Touareg TDI that have to date only involved CANBUS connections. Specifically, I've done the Area View camera and the Side Assist (Blind Spot warning), and I've been successful with this. I've been wanting to do the Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Assist retrofit for a good while now, but frankly, I haven't had the time to get the windshield replaced. I got a rock hit a while back, which I thought was just going to be a fill, but turned out it was too close to the A-Pilar, so it needed to be replaced. :grin2:

So, before the windshield guy showed up, I ran the wiring for the Lane Assist, including the On Board Camera, the Pitch Sensor, the image processing control module, as well as the ACC wiring. Turns out, they are all on the same wiring diagram in ELSA, so it made sense to do it all at once.

So my windshield is in, VCDS see's the onboard camera (CANBUS connection), but it doesn't see my ACC radars or the Image Processor. I've used the coding from a 2015 as a reference, and have been going back and forth with Ross-tech for the better part of a week. They just won't show up.

I've verified the wiring like 20 times by now, checked the power connections, and so on and so on. The thing they have in common is that they are both Data bus wire (FlexRay bus), which unlike CAN BUS, has a direct connection to the CAN Gateway, vs taping in anywhere along the line. The lines are twisted, and from everything I've read, don't require shielding. I tried to contact Kufatec to see maybe if I'm missing something and if they would make a custom wire (read between the lines, paid for), and they were utterly unhelpful.

So, I'm stuck trying to figure out what could be wrong. I know there are people on the Audi forums that have installed both ACC and Lane Assist, so I'm absolutely positive I can do it.

Is it possible I'm missing something with the Flexray. I've read on general garage forums that Flexray needs to be terminated, but it could be terminated in the CAN Gateway.

Any ideas?
would love to know the procedure that you did!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's involved in the Side Assist Retrofit?
The Side Assist retrofit is fairly involved, in that that you have to replace the side view mirrors. There are indicators on the inside of the mirror caps that turn amber when a car is in your blind spot. When I did it, I did it at the same time I did the Area View 360, because the mirrors I found for the Area View 360 (camera on the bottom) also had the Side Assist indicators. I don't know if they come in a manner where they only have one or the other. Replacing the mirrors also means replacing the door wiring harness, and running wiring to the back of both sides of the car, where the radar sensors are mounted. It's certainly not an easy undertaking, but my family and I just went on a long trip, and when it's dark in the middle of nowhere, it's nice to have that amber light come on when there is another vehicle beside you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would love to know the procedure that you did!!
As soon as I can figure out the wiring issue, I'll let everyone know. I suspect either the ELSA diagram is incorrect, or the OEM harness is incorrect. Either way, I'll figure it out eventually.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The Side Assist retrofit is fairly involved, in that that you have to replace the side view mirrors. There are indicators on the inside of the mirror caps that turn amber when a car is in your blind spot. When I did it, I did it at the same time I did the Area View 360, because the mirrors I found for the Area View 360 (camera on the bottom) also had the Side Assist indicators. I don't know if they come in a manner where they only have one or the other. Replacing the mirrors also means replacing the door wiring harness, and running wiring to the back of both sides of the car, where the radar sensors are mounted. It's certainly not an easy undertaking, but my family and I just went on a long trip, and when it's dark in the middle of nowhere, it's nice to have that amber light come on when there is another vehicle beside you.
Yeah, not the reply I was looking for....LOL..... I'd like to have it, but not that much.... oh well....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, not the reply I was looking for....LOL..... I'd like to have it, but not that much.... oh well....
Yeah, it's not for the faint of heart. It's not hard, but you can't be afraid to pretty much remove all the trim on the interior of your car, including seats. Easiest thing to do is find the right parts (Mirrors w/harnesses) and radar sensors off of Ebay.de (Germany), and I want to say I got the Area View harness off of Kufatec.de. Honestly, the hardest part is running the coax cable for the front camera through the firewall. Just plan to be without your T'reg for a few days. You'll also need a VAG-COM to code it properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
tamorgen
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing