Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tested the fuse box on the drivers side with a DVM (digital voltage meter) and can not find a single fuse that comes on with the radio/nav and turns off when the audio is off.

Previously I was using a fuse tap for a remote turn on lead to my amplifier from the same location, but could only find one that turns off when the ignition is off.

I'm looking for a +12V source that stays on with the ignition off so that I can listen to music with my car off, but one that will turn off when I leave my car.

Is there a fuse for the NAV unit? Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still trying to find a place to get a remote turn on signal to my amps. Is there anywhere that turns on with the headunit and turns off with it as well? Rear cig lighter cuts out when engine is off - as do all of the fuses I tested. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've never added aftermarket amps or headunits to the Treg, but unless it's electronics are radically different from other VW's, you won't find a power source that switches on/off with the radio.

The OEM power harness that goes to the radio is always on; what turns your radio on/off with the ignition is a signal it receives through CAN bus. This is why you can turn on the OEM radio when the ignition is off.

Don't know if there's anything out there that allows you to convert a CAN bus signal to an on/off command (ex. to trip a relay). Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Keep looking!
Had a Tekonsha brake controller fitted to my Treg when I first bought it some4 years ago.
It shows as being always powered as the units power light is continually on. I'm sure they didn't go direct to the battery so there must be another live power source somewhere, unfortunately it was very early in my Treg ownership and was more concerned to get the trailer wiring to work correctly then to ask where they tapped into for the power feed.

TonyB

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Tony, I may have read wrong, but I think the OP is looking for more than an "always on" power source. His question was: "Is there anywhere that turns on with the headunit and turns off with it as well?".

Most aftermarket headunits do have a remote turn on wire which can be used to switch a secondary amp on and off with the headunit. This is necessary so that the secondary amp doesn't continue drawing power from the battery when the headunit is off.

Unfortunately, in most VWs the off signal to the secondary amp (when so equipped) and headunit is carried through CAN bus, which isn't easily hacked.

For the OP, I found this article which may point you towards a few solutions:
http://www.caraudiohelp.com/newsletter/head_unit_no_remote_wire.html

Cheers,
Lucky

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I must have misunderstood what he wanted to do:
I'm looking for a +12V source that stays on with the ignition off so that I can listen to music with my car off, but one that will turn off when I leave my car.
I assumed when he left the car he would turn the radio off and the problem was finding a power source, I have an aftermarket unit which needs the key in the ignition for it to work, with key out = no go.

thanks, Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts