Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so since it's starting to warm up here in Southern CA, I've noticed on particularly hot days that once I start up the reg (2005 V6 Touareg) and the AC turns on, something will start screaming and the level of AC coming out of the vents slowly reduces down to nothing coming out of the vents. The noise and vibration will stop if I turn the fan down to off, but as soon as I turn the AC back on the noise and vibration return. The AC will stop doing this after several turning off the fan/ac attempts.

I took it into a VW service place and of course they couldn't replicate it even though it was a hot day. They also checked for problematic codes and said their wasn't anything wrong. The service place checked the Freon and I was good. They checked the fan belt and it also looked good. But after picking up the car from the service place 30 minutes later after restarting the engine the AC started screaming and vibrating again. So frustrated!

Now that summer is just around the corning I'm really not looking forward to my AC acting up like this. Anybody else experience this and what was the fix? Seems the service place doesn't really know what to replace because everything looks to be working properly.

·
Registered
2005 V8
457 Posts
Sounds as if your fan motor is on its way out, mine is doing the same. I think the noise and vibration is from a worn out motor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine seems to "scream" also, but it only does so if my ventilation is set to max and down to the leg area.
When my treg was in dealership, they said that they have noticed a discrepancy of some sort in the temp controller and had to reset or realign something...

Did not search yet, but can someone show us a little DIY on how to get to the ac tubings and controllers? If i recall correctly, it should be hidden by the dash area.

The screaming in mine is like i try to close the vent or something is blocking the tubing...
The dealer's reset or whatever, reduced this noise but is still there...

PS: 2005 V6 TDi

·
Registered
2005 V8
457 Posts
Maybe is a 2005 problem:mad:

I pulled the motor out and checked the brushes, they are worn to about 20% and not much life left in them. My hope is that a new motor will cure all.

I think we are doing well by still having the original 05 fan motor in working condition. Some folks here replace them way earlier.

·
Registered
23 Posts
After a bit of brainstorming, i think one of the closing flaps may not seal or close well.
Anyway, how did you reach that motor? Is it close to that tubing and directional flaps? Did you have to unmount the dash? Or just some pieces?

·
Registered
2005 V8
457 Posts
Its easy to get to, follow the instructions to remove the cabin filter. The motor is located next to the filter. Unplug the power and six screws (I think) later it will drop into your hand, just wiggle it out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Been there, done this job. It was easy. Just follow the thread and replacing the motor is pretty simple.
I was told that not replacing the cabin filter in a timely manner can cause the blower motors to fail prematurely. I make sure to change mine every year after pollen season.
It's a pretty good habit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts