Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having a problem with my air conditioning lately. Simply stated, it doesn't always come on... meaning the fan is not blowing. When it does come on, it doesn't seem to be blowing as hard as it used to. Air coming out is cold.

For the last few days, I start the car, turn on the air, and nothing happens. Electronics indicate that system is on. After 15-20 mins of driving, all of a sudden it slowly kicks on. Also, my mind could be playing tricks on me, but there seems to be a delay in the fan speed button recognizing that I am actually pushing the button and the fan actually changing speed (higher or lower).

I did recently have a water leak behind my glove compartment which suggested that my AC drain was clogged. My indy mechanic cleared that for me yesterday but he did not notice the other problem that I noted above until I pointed it out to him when I picked up the car. I plan to have it looked at next week but wanted to get some thoughts here first.

Any thoughts?

· Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,456 Posts
Either your fan motor is going bad or the resister pack that runs the fan is going bad. Both are common problems, but the odds are 80% fan, 20% resister package.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nicky. Much appreciated. Fan motor looks easy enough for me to do myself. Any thoughts on where I should buy the part? Cost? If my googling is correct... looks like it runs a few hundred bucks.

· Registered
20,262 Posts
If you buy a new fan motor make sure it's the correct one that turns in the right direction for a left hand drive car.

· Registered
427 Posts
I just had the EXACT same issue. Fan wouldn't come on - then slowly "catch" and start blowing. The brushes were worn. When I took it out and tipped it up, it ran like made. But in the normal position, it wouldn't turn. I bought this two weeks ago:
New Heater Blower Motor & Cage Front For 2004-2010 Audi Q7 Volkswagen VW Touareg

Fits perfectly and works like a champ. Pop-off the panel under the glove box (no screws on it) and you'll see the fan housing on the right. There are 7 screws to get it out - 5 that you'll see right off and two that are WAAY up under there and you have to really crawl up under the dash to see them. I used an extension on a socket drive (and a flashlight) to get the last two screws out. Then wiggle it a bit. The new one goes in it's place then the seven screws go back. I also replaced the cabin air filter while I was in there. Easy DIY job.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dave! much appreciated. Checked to local dealers and they both quoted the same price ($316) for the part and it would take 2-3 days to get it. I have been having trouble finding one online and began to worry when Nooby said to make sure it turns in the right direction. Did he mean make sure it turns right (as in clockwise rotation) or make sure it turns right (as in the correct direction... which I have simply no idea).

Need to find the part to fit 2012 obviously.

I was the one driving down Rt 95 yesterday in 90 degree weather with all my windows open. haha

In last two weeks my CEL light went on, tpms sensor fail, AC drain dripping on passenger side floor, AC no longer blowing, and I need new tires. Indy mechanic told me not to worry about CEL (he thinks DEF sensor). I thought I was going to wait until the last minute to take the VW deal but now I am currently looking for a substitute for the best car I have ever owned. I am considering a used X5 diesel. Hopefully, I will not regret.

Thanks again for the help.

· Registered
20,262 Posts
I meant correct direction as left hand drive car fans run in the opposite direction to right hand car fans but whether it's clockwise or anticlockwise I know not!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.