Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a 2012 Touareg TDI that recently developed an ABS issue.

I was driving on smooth dry highways at 65 MPH. I felt a slight shudder that almost felt like the ABS system doing what it does, although I was not applying the brakes at the time.

After scanning with VCDS (scan posted below), I'm guessing that the front left wheel speed sensor is the issue.
The other issues are likely related to the initial sensor issue.

I'm going to make a run this afternoon with VCDS and if the 4 wheel speed sensors are providing similar information.
After that I may swap the front sensors with each other and see if the problem goes to the opposite wheel.

All sensor wiring is neat and clean, and there is no physical damage or corrosion visible on initial inspection.

If anyone with more experience than me can take a look at the scan below, I would greatly appreciate any guidance in troubleshooting this issue.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Touareg V10
97 Posts
I would check the plug for corrosion. Check the resistance of the ABS sensor,I think it is 380K ohm.
This should be a good starting point.

·
Registered
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took a ride tonight with VCDS monitoring all 4 wheel speed sensors. Three of the sensors showed the accurate vehicle speed, the front left showed 0.

I then swapped the front sensors side to side, cleared the DTC's, and took another ride.

Now the front right wheel showed 0. After a scan, all ABS codes switched to the front right wheel.

So it seems the trouble is with the speed sensor, not the wiring or controller. I have a new sensor on order and will report back once it is installed.

·
Registered
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a quick followup here.

I received and installed a new wheel speed sensor.
Connected VCDS and cleared all fault codes.
Took a short drive, and VCDS was showing accurate speed readings at all 4 wheels.
After the test drive, I conducted another scan and there were no fault codes.

Once again, VCDS has totally paid for itself.

This whole project cost me a few hours time, and a $25 wheel sensor (I went aftermarket from Rock Auto)

I can only imagine what a dealer would have charged to straighten this out !

Thanks to all who contribute to this great forum.
Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts