Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and couldn't find a similar question so posting myself. I'm US based (Seattle) and looking for a late model like 2016 or 2017 with ideally under 50K miles. I want to be able to tow about 8K# but not often and think the Touareg will be perfect. I'm trying to decide between Exec gas or TDI. I see a lot of TDI diesels for sale with super low miles, like almost unowned. But no gas ones. Can someone tell me why that is? Other than the obvious gas vs. diesel engine differences, are there any major differences in the trim or features or anything else? Is one known to be more reliable?

Also, carplay is sort of a must. Looks like there is a kit from naviplus to do the trick. Any other things I should be considering about that?

Appreciate any experts sharing their wisdom!

· Registered
2017 VW Touareg Executive VR6
164 Posts
I got a 2017 Exec VR6 that I am very happy with. I know that I cold tow with it no issues, but if towing was 60%, I would go for TDI.
TDI just has much more usable torque to make the driving eperience better while towing IMO..

Both engines are reliable provided that they have been looked after with a solid service history...

Hope that helps

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
4,723 Posts

· Registered
2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive Malone Stage II, Rawtek exhaust, Deleted
10 Posts
TDI is the way to go for towing. I tow a 26' TT and have no issues towing it. Fuel mileage drop? Heck yeah. I'm pretty much pulling a parachute and pushing a crap-ton of wind. But, it's almost double what any V8 gasser will get towing my TT at 70MPH. Like what others said...do your research, understand what 'fix' was done and the service records. I don't have all the answers, but others on here are pretty dang smart.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Sky

Sky Plant community Wheel Motor vehicle Window

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. This is super helpful. I have a 7.5K boat on a smooth double axle trailer with new brakes and all. I don't tow often, but don't want to feel like the tail is wagging the dog in terms of sway and around highway corners. Want exec for all the goodies. Looking at '17 or maybe '16 and seeing some decent deals out there. Both in TDI and gas - I think either would work but agree diesel will be so much smoother especially on mountain passes which does happen. Moving from a Durango which does tow well but is more car than needed and gets about 10mph on a good day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts