Club Touareg Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like this Forum it trying to mimic some of the less worthy sites such as Farcebook...

Why the hell have these been introduced?

The absolutely wonderful thing with this forum is the willingness of people to contribute in a very positive sense. Establishing a "Ranking" system like this will only discourage some people from contributing if they have few "endorsements" when compared with others. This is the absolutely last thing this site needs. May I recommend that the Administrators look into the psychology of this action and the fantastic culture this forum already has.

NOT A SMART MOVE........Please do us all a big favor and dump it.

I have nothing against receiving thanks for helping somebody, but the very last thing I wish is to be "RATED" by the machinery used to communicate.

Just about as smart as determining a persons good character by the number of Farcebook Friends they have......

Stuart...

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,007 Posts
agreed.

it turns it into a 'wank' fest

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Let's get this straight, anyone thanking me using a bloody button can **** off.

If the owners of this site persist with this utterly cretinous idea then I demand parity with a "**** off" button too. Now THAT would be a number I'd be proud off and you could all hit that as often as you like!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Another forum I participate in regularly (unrelated to vehicles) announced the addition of a "Like" button for posts about a year ago. There was much wringing of hands and moaning about how this would ruin everything good about the forum.

The forum survived in spite of a "Like" button and the tenor & content of posts is unchanged.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
I think we're grumpy old men. That said, I'm not a fan of the stroke someone button either.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Well, I mostly used the iPhone app that is a little out-dated. Still works great. No like button and I 'like' that.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,007 Posts
agreed.

it turns it into a 'w*nk' fest
First of all, my apologies for the language used. A bit harsh.

However, the sentiment is genuine. I also have seen this "Thanks/Like/Reputation" button used on other sites. In less 'mature' communities, it does become a 'circle-jerk' with many of those who regard their 'high' reputation ranking and 'thanks' received as a badge of honour that has vicariously bestowed a hypothetical level of power over forum members.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a quoted post and a simple 'thanks' as genuine feedback for a comment/suggestion well made......unless the forum is pushing the boundaries of the server, and we need to reduce page content/posts. (I doubt it).

Maybe this the "Thanks" button should be explained by Admin/Mods, rather than a 'hate' session continuing to build, with no reasoning for/from the defence. :-k

·
Learner
5,014 Posts
Each generation to their own.... Implementing change is always interesting.
I'm indifferent to the use and idea.
We have to look beyond our times and newer gens coming in here to play.....

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
alex gee (7 Hours Ago), JettaGetUpandGo (2 Hours Ago), nickm (7 Hours Ago), Oregon TDI (7 Hours Ago)

Right, you lot can all **** off!

I discovered a new member who has never posted can thank as many people as they like and then go back and unthank them all too!

Bloody stupid idea so I'm going to hit the Thanks key on every single post I read with total and utter insincerity about the whole ****ty idea.

Oooh, look, I REALLY enjoyed THIS thread . . .

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/treg-muster-2015-a-192857.html

Some time later: Golly gosh, soooo many great posts this morning . . . I'm beginning to think is actually . . . no, it's still a wank fest!

And see how the Thanks line spoils the appearance and the flow too.

Off to offer my Thanks elsewhere now . . .

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Administrator
4,300 Posts
So I have been watching the feedback roll in in this and another thread. There are plenty of pros and cons that can be argued over this feature, but with as static as this forum has been on features over the years, it's nice to see some new ways to interact. Use it if you want, and don't if you don't. But please understand, I appreciate the feedback, good or bad, and value that our members care about this home as much as we do.

For now, we are keeping the Thanks button in place. I'll keep watch over the use of this feature. There may be some small tweaks that we can add the keep it minimally invasive.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Looks like I'm well ahead on the number of "Thanks", but, as I have said before, that's not why I try to help people so I don't actually want them.

What I have noticed is a plethora of "Thanks" being given on subjective posts where someone simply agrees with another's opinion which, as I understand it, is not what the "Thanks" button is for.

The "Thanks" is quite specific as "The Following User Says Thank You to daftpratt For This Useful Post: "

That, to me, would a be post that actually provides technical or practical help of some kind to the person seeking it.

I didn't like the "Thanks" button when it was introduced and I like it even less now.

It's not being used correctly.

It's not necessary.

The "Thanks" posts clutter the pages.

Let's bin it.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Yup, not a fan of thank button either. Clutter is all it is. Better idea would be +1 votes or thumbs up to a certain post...BUT not reflecting anyplace but that post and not making a new post and not including down votes...nothing flashy, nothing taking up space. Perhaps you could sort a thread by this to hopefully see the answers to the questions faster. As it is now: Is this a popularity contest or what?

Really would be happier without it.

One more thing: I use a touch phone and have thanked on accident by scrolling. Embarrassing if you thank something you don't want to and miss it before you can edit it.

·
Administrator
536 Posts
Hey guys,
I will suggest removing the "Thanks" to the rest of the staff.

Thanks,
Marie, Community Support

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Any progress on binning this "feature"?

If you want to see a classic example of how posts are being Thank You'd that bear no relevance whatsoever to the term "useful", just cast your eye over the longest thread ever where the vast majority of Thank Yous are dished out simply because people agree with a post.

Daft. Plain daft.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f89/vw-tdi-epa-recall-2-0l-and-3-0l-216585.html

And that's coming from the person with, I think, the most Thank Yous too - none of which I wanted!!

·
Administrator
536 Posts
Seems the consensus was to leave the thanks button as is. Afraid not enough support to have it removed.

Kevin

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Still a very bad move then.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,007 Posts
Nooby,

You're opinion is so noted. I'm not a fan of it either, and have voiced my opinion once. Then let it be. I haven't used the Thanks button, but do note that others have Thanked my post/s. No biggie to me.

It is what it is. You and I are in the minority. But please, don't keep nagging on it about it. Our opinion is recorded. Let's move on to bigger and better things.

Like my leaking passenger side foot well. UGH.

·
Learner
5,014 Posts
On a positive note, it would be good to have a feature by which you can tag members, so they get notified of that post/ thread

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.