Club Touareg Forum banner

Would you consider an Atlas or Atlas Cross Sport to replace your Touareg?

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
04 V8 T1
1,041 Posts
Unfortunately Volkswagen can monitor your flash count and they (or mothership) WILL eventually notice your count being off if you use APR, if not NOW, then when you have an issue and need to tap into warranty

I hear what you're saying, the atlas definitely doesn't FEEL very surefooted, but a 2018 Atlas does .88g on the skidpad vs a 2020 ram 1500 doing .75g
You're right but one's a pick up truck and the other is an upper class family SUV, I just feel like the Atlas could have been so much more.

The Touareg and Cayenne where way to far ahead of their time for the U.S market

·
Registered
04 V8 T1
1,041 Posts
This is interesting. I haven't heard of APR-Plus. But $999 - wow that seems like a lot for a tune. Maybe I'm not up to date on current rates for APR tunes, but it seems like you're buying that warranty coverage bundled with the tune to me.

I don't think I'd go this route unless my VW dealer was also the APR dealer. Warranties are so awful to deal with as it is and I wouldn't be willing to get the run around between the VW Dealer and APR Dealer if there was a disagreement.
Audizine can show you horror stories about how the Dealers and APR fought...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
This is interesting. I haven't heard of APR-Plus. But $999 -
I don't think I'd go this route unless my VW dealer was also the APR dealer. Warranties are so awful to deal with as it is and I wouldn't be willing to get the run around between the VW Dealer and APR Dealer if there was a disagreement.
100%

You're right but one's a pick up truck and the other is an upper class family SUV, I just feel like the Atlas could have been so much more.

The Touareg and Cayenne where way to far ahead of their time for the U.S market
Right I'm definitely following your train of thought and like I said I completely agree, the Atlas does feel extremely sloppy but in reality it is a pretty damn decent handling SUV. It's just a shame that they didn't improve the actual "feel" of it because it sure is not confidence inspiring when the thing is slopping all over the road

Audizine can show you horror stories about how the Dealers and APR fought...
Exactly, it becomes a he said she said situation and everybody just wants to wash their hands and the only person that gets screwed over is the person that owns the car

Reactions: Touaregman33

·
Registered
04 V8 T1
1,041 Posts
100%

Right I'm definitely following your train of thought and like I said I completely agree, the Atlas does feel extremely sloppy but in reality it is a pretty damn decent handling SUV. It's just a shame that they didn't improve the actual "feel" of it because it sure is not confidence inspiring when the thing is slopping all over the road

Exactly, it becomes a he said she said situation and everybody just wants to wash their hands and the only person that gets screwed over is the person that owns the car
100% correct

·
Registered
340 Posts
Atlas is a great looking minivan, that's all. Not as practical, but looks better. There's nothing wrong about that, and is exactly the reason I'm shopping for one. There's a decent third row with fake leather and plastic that my kids can smear their PB&J on....

Not only looks better, but this is one of the few cars in this class passed passenger side small overlap crash test when the test first came out. American and Japanese cars failed miserably. I feel safer driving this in the real world than driving cars that are designed to pass known tests, but fail unknown tests.

I'm shopping for the VR6. Not going to race this car, the VR6 is way more reliable. The EA888, although is fun and refined over the years, the timing chain tensioner and water pump can still give you headaches. The good old VR6 is actually more reliable than the 2GR-FKS used in Highlanders... sorry Scotty Kilmer. Slow but reliable power is what you need for a family hauler.

Also, being on the MQB platform means it is supported by COMMA's Openpilot, which is a level 2 self driving assist. This is a must for long family trips. Sadly our Touaregs would need some serious retrofitting to use that, but Atlas can accept Openpilot right out of the box.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We leased a 19 SEL to replace our MB GLC. Reason being needed a much bigger family car with 2, going on 3 small children. The Atlas might be the only 3 row crossover that you can put a rear facing car seat behind a tall driver. I dont personally like the ride, it has the optional 21" and would be better with a 18 or 19", although they look good. I would like more power, it slow but acceptable. I dont like the start/stop, sometimes I can't tell if the car has been shut off or not when parking, I will put it in park, the car will shut off, push the stop ignition and the car turns on not off, other times dont turn the ignition off and car remains on, or just want to unload the kids at the sitter but the car turns itself off, etc very annoying program logic. The collision brake feature routinely think we are crashing leaving our steep driveway and abruptly stops the car, complete with screeching tires, and can't be disabled temporarily for driveway entry/exit. That said most of those are nitpick annoyances, it is an excellent large family hauler.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
And halfway between the mundane Atlas and the Classic Touareg, is the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I say 99 times out of 100, go for the Jeep and ignore the Atlas.

In fact, you can get a loaded 4x4 version of the Grand Cherokee that is more of the classic Luxury Off Road Capable Touareg (T1/T2) than the current Touaregs (T4) being sold.

So, If you want the Atlas, get a base version Cherokee.

If you want the current Touareg, get the luxury version.

If you want the Classic Touareg, start with the loaded 4x4 version with the air suspension.

If you miss the W12, get the Hemi version.

You get the idea.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Buy a FCA product? :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for that, I’ve needed a good laugh for the past year.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The Jeep is not even close to Atlas size, but if you don't need the size is a nice alternative, but I would go with a Disco or RR sport over a jeep as a Touareg replacement. We didn't get a Disco td6 due to cramped 2nd row, car seats would not fit behind tall driver

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Buy a FCA product? :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for that, I’ve needed a good laugh for the past year.
Yep. With the current lack of quality VW North American Service -and- VW's current We Don't Give a Single F about the North American customer... I stand by going elsewhere.

The Jeep is not even close to Atlas size, but if you don't need the size is a nice alternative, but I would go with a Disco or RR sport over a jeep as a Touareg replacement. We didn't get a Disco td6 due to cramped 2nd row, car seats would not fit behind tall driver
Yes. There are other good Touareg replacements. FCA (properly optioned) has the closest clone of the original Treg, but there are others. It just depends on what exactly you want.

As many have pointed out, we can also look at Audi or Porsche for replacements.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yep. With the current lack of quality VW North American Service -and- VW's current We Don't Give a Single F about the North American customer... I stand by going elsewhere.
enjoy that FCA quality and after support. :ROFLMAO: They don’t give a F either.

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
enjoy that FCA quality and after support. :ROFLMAO: They don’t give a F either.
Since her 2017 JC Ltd. (purchased new, currently with 55k on it) is parked in the driveway along the 2014 TDI egg, (purchased used, currently with 135k on it), I feel I can provide a perspective.

The 2017 JC Ltd. is fully loaded. She got it a week before we met. She prefers driving the 2014 TDI Exec instead. She has mentioned several times how she wishes she would've not pulled the trigger until after we met, as I would've strongly suggested that she'd be in a Touareg/Q5 TDI instead......

The Jeep is a great little vehicle, but it has already had the front struts replaced, the sunroof replaced, and I had to do the rear brakes on it. I will already have to do the front brakes come spring. This is crazy for an SUV which is supposed to be "king of offroading" and is still in basic warranty. Oh... and the electric e-brake system has acted up (wouldn't release) and the start-stop system has been "charging" for the last few weeks and as a result no longer functions. It does however have vented front seats and remote start and start\stop which the TDI does not.

In every other aspect, the Touareg kills it. Oh wait... I'm lying..... the reverse camera resolution\clarity is better on the Jeep.

So that being said, quality is not really something that I feel applies to the Jeep. Unfortunately, I wrench on my stuff, so since she bought this thing brand new, it's only feasible that I keep it going until she drives it into the ground or she will not get ROI from it. I guess one good thing is that parts are fairly inexpensive in comparison to VAG stuff.

·
Registered
560 Posts
G wagon owners look like @$$holes. Even your sweet little mother would look like one behind the wheel. And who takes a G wagon anywhere but to the valet parking stand? Truly the antithesis of the Touareg's perception.

·
Registered
04 V8 T1
1,041 Posts
G wagon owners look like @$$holes. Even your sweet little mother would look like one behind the wheel. And who takes a G wagon anywhere but the to the valet parking stand? Truly the antithesis of the Touareg's perception.
So are Cayenne's... G wagon's are usually owned by People of Russian decent or trophy wives. G wagon is very very good off road, and is a status symbol

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
And halfway between the mundane Atlas and the Classic Touareg, is the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I say 99 times out of 100, go for the Jeep and ignore the Atlas.

In fact, you can get a loaded 4x4 version of the Grand Cherokee that is more of the classic Luxury Off Road Capable Touareg (T1/T2) than the current Touaregs (T4) being sold.

So, If you want the Atlas, get a base version Cherokee.

If you want the current Touareg, get the luxury version.

If you want the Classic Touareg, start with the loaded 4x4 version with the air suspension.

If you miss the W12, get the Hemi version.

You get the idea.
Jeep isn't in the same comparison as a Touareg or Atlas at all

·
Registered
813 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
JGC was what I personally cross shopped in 2015 when I bought my Touareg. It was a nice vehicle - Overland spec with air, off road package, diesel, but the Touareg was much nicer to drive and ultimately won in that it was several thousand cheaper. 109,000 miles later it has been a very trouble free vehicle, interior, even leather looks great. Something that eveytime i look at a Jeep (or Q7) with 30 or 40k on the odometer I wonder why the hell the drivers side bolster is so worn out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
A little over a year ago I bought my 2011 Touareg TDI sight unseen. I rented a vehicle with National car rental was was pleased to find they gave me an AWD VW Atlas. I drove it to work, then left right after work at 2am (I work nights). I thought the headlights were great- BUT- was getting blinded by reflection of the high beams on the speed limit signs. It was quite the storm with tons of rain, wind, and branches all over the road.
2.5 hours later I stopped and picked up my parents who were retired and bored- and wanted a road trip. I drove for another 3 hours or so and found that the seats just started getting uncomfortable. I pulled over and let my dad drive while I took a nap. The drive was a total of 11 hours and around 700 miles. So I did spent some time in the vehicle.

If I never drove a Touareg before, maybe I'd be impressed. But the quality just isn't there. The handling and brakes just isn't there. The whole thing feels cheaper- because it is. I guess that means I'm spoiled.

Now I know that my wife doesn't care at all about that- she would love one. And that was what VW went after... non car enthusiasts that just want a vehicle to throw crap and kids in.

My dad and I talked all the way home about the Atlas vs the Touareg TDI. We both agreed the Touareg was way more solid, felt better, handled better and the seats never made us uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
A little over a year ago I bought my 2011 Touareg TDI sight unseen. I rented a vehicle with National car rental was was pleased to find they gave me an AWD VW Atlas. I drove it to work, then left right after work at 2am (I work nights). I thought the headlights were great- BUT- was getting blinded by reflection of the high beams on the speed limit signs. It was quite the storm with tons of rain, wind, and branches all over the road.
2.5 hours later I stopped and picked up my parents who were retired and bored- and wanted a road trip. I drove for another 3 hours or so and found that the seats just started getting uncomfortable. I pulled over and let my dad drive while I took a nap. The drive was a total of 11 hours and around 700 miles. So I did spent some time in the vehicle.

If I never drove a Touareg before, maybe I'd be impressed. But the quality just isn't there. The handling and brakes just isn't there. The whole thing feels cheaper- because it is. I guess that means I'm spoiled.

Now I know that my wife doesn't care at all about that- she would love one. And that was what VW went after... non car enthusiasts that just want a vehicle to throw crap and kids in.

My dad and I talked all the way home about the Atlas vs the Touareg TDI. We both agreed the Touareg was way more solid, felt better, handled better and the seats never made us uncomfortable.
The bold portion is spot on

21 - 40 of 63 Posts