Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking at selecting new A/T tyres, 275/45 R20, for my MY16 Touareg for an upcoming trip to Northern Qld. I am thinking of the Cooper Zeon LTZ. Would appreciate any feedback on this tyre or alternate suggestions. My expected demand is low 4WD usage but driving on sand, water crossings and dirt/mud roads would be expected. Thanks in advance, Michael

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would suggest a set of 17inch rims from fleabay and you then have a much broader range of tyres to choose from. oh and no need to worry about curb rash ;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Toiler, I was originally going to do an option like this but my VW dealer told me that my warranty will be void if I change from the original spec. ???? I might check with VW Australia.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hmmm. Yes check with VW - good luck getting any sensible answer there though. Please advise the result of the enquiry.

The User Guide for my model shows that the 17inch rim is a listed option with the 18 inch rim. FWIW I run the listed tyre size 235/65R17 to avoid any insurance issues. I do not run 265/65R17 as some do. I run 17 inch to fit snow chains to the front wheels as per the manual - legal diamond pattern chains will not fit the 20 inch rims unless you can find some 6mm chains. 8mm no good and certainly not 10 or 12 mm. (Porsche used to have 6mm but I could not find any). VW cannot supply 6mm chains - I asked.

If VW Australia say no to 17inch then this snow chain angle might be fun to bring up if you are to baiting them.

"So the user manual states that I cannot fit chains to the 20 inch rims - that chains can only be fitted to 17 and 18 inch rims, but I need to fit chains to my vehicle to be able to legally go up to the snow in winter, so I need to change rim sizes. You are now telling me that I cannot change rim size and in effect that I cannot take my Touareg up to the snow? Is the media aware of this fact?"

In fact I asked the dealer this direct question when I purchased my Treg and was told that chains can be fitted to the 20 inch rims. I really should have returned the car the next day to make the point. VW dealers know zip about the Treg IMO.

Reactions: MRB1957

·
Registered
428 Posts
Michael.... your dealer is wrong. I even had my dealer try and source some 18 inch rims when I purchased my Treg two years back. In the end I sourced the rims myself before the dealer found any, and I now leave the 18 inch rims fitted all the time - just make sure they are an option rim size for your vehicle and best to use the recommended tyre size for that rim (actually I have 256/60R18s when the stated tyre should be 255/55 for the 18s). And you can always go higher than your dealer if not satisfied with their response (but give the dealer a fair go first... best to build a local relationship). Cheers Paul.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/new-tyres-michelin-latitude-cross-242217.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Paul,I will follow up again in the next week or so and see if I can get this cleared up. I check the specifications and there is a listed option for 18 x 8" wheels with 255/55 R18 tyres. Cheers, Michael

·
Registered
736 Posts
Michael, I too have been looking at AT tyres for my MY16.
Only two which appear to fit the bill are (a) the Zeon LTZ's as you mentioned, but also (b) Nitto Terra Grappler.
Both available in 275/45R20 and both have more than just the 1-ply sidewall. (Both are 2-ply I believe).
I expect to go with the Terra Grapplers. Suggest you check E-bay for these. Cheers Dub

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks Toiler, I was originally going to do an option like this but my VW dealer told me that my warranty will be void if I change from the original spec. ???? I might check with VW Australia.
It's not where you're heading, but I have a T3 with 17's and 265/65-17 fitted,
The wheels are from an early T3 150 kw, they were fitted with factory 17's.
Here's a set the same as I have fitted,

17 inch Genuine VOLKSWAGEN TOUAREG 2012 MODEL ALLOY WHEELS | eBay

The high sidewall make them very effective off road, particularly in sand, bloody comfortable on road too.

Tyre sizes are nominal not exact, the Pirelli Scorpions on mine are not that much taller than standard and certainly within legal spec's here in QLD.
I can't see how it can affect warranty being T3 factory fit. They've been fitted to both cars when at two different VW dealers for services, the most recent service included a factory recall, nothing has been said.

That aside, I had a set of Nitto 265/50-20's fitted to our prior T3, not the Terra Grappler the NT420S. Seemed a good thing, gripped well wet and dry, quiet and comfortable but unfortunately I punctured one after not many k's. That happens I know but when I took it in to be checked, it was a small skinny stick, like a thorn. Certainly not something I'd expect to go through the tyre tread.
Tyre was repaired and continued to work well for another 30,000 odd k's, still looked good when I sold the car

I hope something there is useful,

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Michael, I too have been looking at AT tyres for my MY16.
Only two which appear to fit the bill are (a) the Zeon LTZ's as you mentioned, but also (b) Nitto Terra Grappler.
Both available in 275/45R20 and both have more than just the 1-ply sidewall. (Both are 2-ply I believe).
I expect to go with the Terra Grapplers. Suggest you check E-bay for these. Cheers Dub
Hi Dubby,

Have you changed your mind about getting smaller rims?
Seems there is a nice set of 18's for sale on Gumtree in Bathurst (NSW) at the moment, bit far from you I know but even with courier costs built in they are still within acceptable costings.

Tony

·
Registered
177 Posts
I run 20" Zeons on my treg. 21" rims sitting idle in the garage.
handle beach sand no problems.
seem to be ok in a bit of mud.
a bit of extra road noise.
not a lot of give in the tyres at higher pressures, so ride gets rougher.
handle ok at normal road speeds.
don't push them on wet winding roads. speaking from experience.

will be ok if not doing anything too serious off road.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi Dubby,

Have you changed your mind about getting smaller rims?
Seems there is a nice set of 18's for sale on Gumtree in Bathurst (NSW) at the moment, bit far from you I know but even with courier costs built in they are still within acceptable costings.

Tony
Hi Tony. Love the look of the 20's and I really don't want a full set cluttering up the garage.
Plus, I feel the Terra Grapplers will handle anything I will put the new Treg through. Cheers, Dub

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, I am looking at selecting new A/T tyres, 275/45 R20, for my MY16 Touareg for an upcoming trip to Northern Qld. I am thinking of the Cooper Zeon LTZ. Would appreciate any feedback on this tyre or alternate suggestions. My expected demand is low 4WD usage but driving on sand, water crossings and dirt/mud roads would be expected. Thanks in advance, Michael
I just purchased a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde 275/45/R20. for $1,300 which was $500 cheaper than the Michelins which were fitted as new. So far all good

·
Registered
736 Posts
Something worth thinking about. Date of manufacture - coded - month & year - appears on all tyres.
Just looked at an ad on E-bay for Terra Grapplers - tyres were quoted as 'fresh' but also 2013 manufacture.
Hardly what I would call fresh when you consider a 7-year recommended life.
Always check with the dealer prior to forking out your hard-earned. Dub

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm buying a 2017 v6 Touareg that comes with 20" wheels. Will 17" rims fit on the PCD?
Yes, 17" rims with the correct PCD, offset and width will fit.

I run 17's from an early (2011 / 2012) T3 150, pictured below, on my 2016 180, which came with 20's standard.

I have 265/65-17 Pirelli Scorpions fitted.

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think 18" rims are legal on a model where they were an option from new. In the same vein, 17" rims would not be legal. Toyota took away all doubt on my 1993 80 Series by having two tyre placards.

When I got rid of my 2007 Touareg four years ago I had a second set of 18" Karthoum wheels with near new General Grabber A/T tyres in the garage. I thought that the PCD had changed on the T3 so it was on my list to sell them on eBay. I figured that if I ever bought another Touareg it would not be a T1 or T2.

For four years I have endured the wife's "when are you getting rid of those bloody wheels??" I picked up my 2016 Touareg yesterday and discovered the PCD hasn't changed. Joy!

I think '20 inch off-road tyre' is an oxymoron.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Reactions: agronomy

·
Registered
2021 V8 TDi Wolfsburg
80 Posts
That is great to know. Today we ended up buying the Touareg Adventure, not the standard 180kw version as intended - was given a deal too good to refuse. The Adventure version also has 19" rims, not 20", so I should have less issues swapping them out for 17" rims. It will have to wait though. We are in a rush to get the car to use for a trip to SA, VIC and NSW towing our caravan - work trip. I'll source some new 17" alloy rims on our return. Many thanks for everyones advice. It is greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.