Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Treg Noob. 06' V8. 57k mi. So, Cal.

Since I've owned this car (about 1.5 months) it's lightly rained/drizzled overnight twice. Both times I awoke to a dead battery.

* Never has happened during our normally dry, arid days and nights.

* Unlikely battery problem; always starts even after ignition and accessories on an hour or 2.

* Unlikely alternator prob; Voltage gauge shows healthy 14+v charge while running, no idiot lights**

* Water short; No obvious leaks or water puddles on the floor but obviously...

* After a re-charge. It fires up and gallops away, all works, (except clock resets etc.).

* Has sat un-driven (dry) for a couple days, no problem at all starting.

* No lights stay on over the minuet or so; the courtesy stuff, (after rain starts, ???)

I've read allusions to trouble with rain sensors, but cant find any direct references to this prob. Also, the need for locking doors to shut down some battery draining stuff (I never do lock-up, no probs. yet). Radios & nav. causing a drain, mines not stock (but extensive, surround amps, etc). Again, only have a prob when it rains overnight.

Seems like it would take one elluva lot of drain on the system to completely flatten a seemingly good battery overnight, even a not so great battery. Why only in the rain?

Any common gremlins?, bugs of note, etc

Thanks much in advanced,

DZ-

**one intermittent idiot light I happened to notice both times after battery went flat. (might of have been there all the time, don't know) Under MPH gauge nee dle at 0 mph. Yellow, looks like a little shinning sun...indicates some bulb? Can find in book.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Hsve you checked UNDER the front carpets to see if they are dry there?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

I've checked under the floor mats, dry even when squished. Checking under the actual carpets and padding looks a bit involved so what would it signify if it was wet under rugs, plugged drains somewhere? (something easier to check?)

What would it be affecting if water did wind up on the floor that would run the battery dead overnight? It was was pretty light rain/drizzle on both occasions so there couldn't be a lot of water anywhere.

Regards, DZ-

·
Registered
487 Posts
Could be any hot wire anywhere in/on/under the car, behind panels, dozens of places where temporary water accumulation could go unnoticed. All you need is enough moisture to permit 12v to leak to ground, and there goes the charge. The tell to look for would be rust in a place where you wouldn't ordinarily expect rust.

//greg//

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Thanks for the reply,

I've checked under the floor mats, dry even when squished. Checking under the actual carpets and padding looks a bit involved so what would it signify if it was wet under rugs, plugged drains somewhere? (something easier to check?)

What would it be affecting if water did wind up on the floor that would run the battery dead overnight? It was was pretty light rain/drizzle on both occasions so there couldn't be a lot of water anywhere.

Regards, DZ-
Yes, bulkhead drains can block and under the carpets are expensive electrics that have been damaged on some people's cars. I was wondering if any of these had shorted. But from what you say, not enough rain has fallen. Here's the link anyway.

Water Ingress in Bulkhead/Footwell - Step By Step Guide - myTreg forums

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had several electrical problems attributed to wet wire bundle. I cleared drains but to this day (last day for my Treg) still have wet carpets. I'd bet your intermittent problems are water related. Check around the seat bolts and see if there is moisture. There could be water below the floors where the wire bundles are located.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No rain, dead again this morning

Thanks all for the link and advice. I've had this problem on a couple of other cars. In my other cars the problem can usually be resolved by just running a stiff wire from the top of the drains down and rinsing.

Last night was dry but I had the same prob. this morning...pretty dead. (but not as dead as immediately after the rain). I suppose any water collected the other night could still be causing problems.

This all sounds plausible, would explain a lot, The flip side is I know this car has not seen alot of traditional muck. and I'll have to do some investigation.

Thanks again DZ-

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
Is your armrest closing properly.
Mine was overstuffed and did not lock, so the light stayed on and drained the battery. So if not look for something similar. Lights in trunk, under the hood etc

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
That's a new one!

Creep out to car in the dead of night and peer in through the windows.

Just be careful if you a nosey neightbour.

You might have some explaining to do at the police station!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a new one!

Creep out to car in the dead of night and peer in through the windows.

Just be careful if you a nosey neightbour.

You might have some explaining to do at the police station!
Did I tell you this thing Is pretty d__ pimped out? The windows are tinted so dark you really can't see squat through them (except for the front). I'm thinking about crawling in at night and waiting for all the lights to go out and see if there is anything is still on. concerned I'll set the alarm of though, then maybe I will be talking to the law... (center console looks alright nltomba).

Update:
So it went dead in the middle of the day. Beautiful, sunny and warm. I think the rain thin was a coincidence. With my other cars, the leaks also manifest themselves in steamed up windows. Nothing of the sort here. I'll probably check that out if other sleuthing doesn't pan out.

What about this:
There's a loudish, continues, buzzer that doesn't quit till I shut the door, or as I discovered, turn the lights off manually...sometimes. Seems to be trying disparately to tell me something important. The owners manual said this buzzer happens if you park with a blinker on. They're not. Ideas?

BTW: Is whatever kind of diagnostic computer the dealer uses capable of narrowing down electrical problems? (and whats it called)

Regards, DZ-

·
Registered
98 Posts
dzlxia said:
Did I tell you this thing Is pretty d__ pimped out? The windows are tinted so dark you really can't see squat through them (except for the front). I'm thinking about crawling in at night and waiting for all the lights to go out and see if there is anything is still on. concerned I'll set the alarm of though, then maybe I will be talking to the law... (center console looks alright nltomba).

Update: So it went dead in the middle of the day. Beautiful, sunny and warm. I think the rain thin was a coincidence. With my other cars, the leaks also manifest themselves in steamed up windows. Nothing of the sort here. I'll probably check that out if other sleuthing doesn't pan out.

What about this: There's a loudish, continues, buzzer that doesn't quit till I shut the door, or as I discovered, turn the lights off manually...sometimes. Seems to be trying disparately to tell me something important. The owners manual said this buzzer happens if you park with a blinker on. They're not. Ideas?

BTW: Is whatever kind of diagnostic computer the dealer uses capable of narrowing down electrical problems? (and whats it called)

Regards, DZ-
I believe all intermittent electrical issues are due to what I'll call it moisture on the wire bundle that runs under the floors on the drivers side. I had so many issues from buzzing that was not related to turn signal to airbag faults to dead Treg one minute and starting the next to key being locked in ignition. At one point dealer did say there was a short due moisture and they rewrapped the bundle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe all intermittent electrical issues are due to what I'll call it moisture on the wire bundle that runs under the floors on the drivers side. I had so many issues from buzzing that was not related to turn signal to airbag faults to dead Treg one minute and starting the next to key being locked in ignition. At one point dealer did say there was a short due moisture and they rewrapped the bundle.
Interesting because all but one of the symptoms you describe I have. The missing one is when it's dead it's dead. No redemption without a charge. Charged it last night, been cranking strong all day

-How do you figure the moisture got in in your case? I assume the rewrap cured the problem? Is this a common problem do you know?

LAST night (whoever cares); while charging, I sat in the car untill all the lights went out inside and out. The only thing that stayed on was the odemeter, clock, & and the little readout in the center of the instrument cluster. Weird, why, normal? Those outlasted my patience but they were of this morning. Can't really see them drawing enough to draw the battery down though.

Thanks, DZ-

·
Registered
98 Posts
dzlxia said:
Interesting because all but one of the symptoms you describe I have. The missing one is when it's dead it's dead. No redemption without a charge. Charged it last night, been cranking strong all day

-How do you figure the moisture got in in your case? I assume the rewrap cured the problem? Is this a common problem do you know?

LAST night (whoever cares); while charging, I sat in the car untill all the lights went out inside and out. The only thing that stayed on was the odemeter, clock, & and the little readout in the center of the instrument cluster. Weird, why, normal? Those outlasted my patience but they were of this morning. Can't really see them drawing enough to draw the battery down though.

Thanks, DZ-
My mats were wet for years. At one point I heard sloshing and pulled drain plugs ( do not recall which ones) and gallons of water poured out but still had wet mats ( no musty smell though). I could see moisture near the seat bolts (and rust). I also had airbag lights which went away after mechanic rebundled the wires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a little how to that seems a little involved for cleaning the drains. How did you "pull the plugs"?

This car was born and raised in Arizona and now lives in So. Cal. There are definitely no outward signs of even dampness anywhere but I'm open.

Thanks, PK

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There are two different locations for sloshing water sounds but only one lets water into the car.

That one is water the plenum chamber in front of the bulkhead just forward of, and below, the wipers and the drains are in the wheel arches. The water gets in via the pollen filter so the first thing to do is check to see if that is wet/damp.

The other "slosher" is water in the door cills easily fixed by pulling one of the rubber grommets in the door cill and easily seen if you get down on your hands and knees and look for them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts